When Did London Devolve Into Thuggery.

Quincy

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2011 03:17 pm
I used to admire the English and England, but I am shocked and revolted by the rioting in London.

Yes, it is only some of the Londoners, but I never expected such base and savage thuggery from a first world country, much less from England. The peaceful protest that started this was admirable, but the violence that has followed is pure, selfish, un-mitigated evil, which has nothing to do with the death of that young man; looting, arson, theft, and all the crimes are being committed for their own sake. I never expected London to devolve to such depths.

Is this was has become of modern England? This seems to me, a foreigner, that the character of the Englishman is diminishing. Tell me this is not the case. I have for a long time wanted to visit the British Isles, but now I am given pause for thought.

Not really a thread for discussion, I just wanted to vent my disgust at the savage acts of thuggery I see on the news.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,868 • Replies: 11
No top replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2011 03:26 pm
@Quincy,
Answer: when the global economy turned to **** for the global citizens. The social glue is dissolving rapidly now, and it has not been all that strong for a long time, this is only the tip of the iceberg. The Arab uprisings against their oppressors is the inspiration for us challenging ours.
the prince

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 12:37 am
@hawkeye10,
Please don't blame everything on "global economy"; that's hardly got anything to do with what is happening in London
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 12:45 am
@the prince,
Quote:
Please don't blame everything on "global economy"; that's hardly got anything to do with what is happening in London
It depends on how wide your view is, according to the Israelis their revolt is over the price of Cottage Cheese, but it is not so different than the reasons the Egyptians or the Tunisians and all the rest have recently revolted, it is about the lack of dignity that we all suffer in our daily life, and the hands of the government and the business elites.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 12:54 am
@Quincy,
Why should the English be any different from their overseas cousins, the Yanks? We've certainly had our share of rioting and thuggery in the USA. And I believe the Aussies, too, have been known to act up from time to time. "First world country" has nothing to do with it. And the Prince is right -- it's not about the economy.

(Hi, Gautam! Smile)
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 03:47 am
It started out as an admirable and peaceful protest of the killing of a young man, but what it is now is pure criminality. They are looting businesses, burning houses and vehicles, and the victims are all innocent civilians. It is disgusting, barbaric and savage, and has nothing to do with the economy. People are rioting for the sake of rioting, and it's disgusting.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 03:56 am
@Quincy,
Quincy wrote:

It started out as an admirable and peaceful protest of the killing of a young man, but what it is now is pure criminality. They are looting businesses, burning houses and vehicles, and the victims are all innocent civilians. It is disgusting, barbaric and savage, and has nothing to do with the economy. People are rioting for the sake of rioting, and it's disgusting.
that sounds plausable only till you get around to the fact that almost all of the arrested are poor youth with no prospects.
Quincy

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 04:53 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quincy wrote:

that sounds plausable only till you get around to the fact that almost all of the arrested are poor youth with no prospects.

Do you have proof? Even if we accept that, all it proves is that the poor have larger elements of the vulgar and criminal. Or at the very least, the have less to lose.
the prince

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 05:22 am
@Quincy,
Quote:
It started out as an admirable and peaceful protest of the killing of a young man

Quincy, that "young man" was a known gangster, member of one of the most notorious gangs in north London, known to the police, carrying a gun (illegally) when stopped. I am glad that he is off the street, permanentaly .
Quincy

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 06:10 am
@the prince,
I didn't know that. What I gathered from the BBC World news was that he was an ordinary un-armed civilian. Everything I know about these riots is what I see on the BBC news. This just backs up what I thought: these are vile criminals rioting in the street.

Which incidentally brings up the matter of the declining quality of the BBC, but that's an entirely different matter.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 06:32 am
@Quincy,
Quincy wrote:

This just backs up what I thought: these are vile criminals rioting in the street.

you realize of course that that is exactly what Assad of Syria says about his little problem......
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 06:34 am
@Quincy,
Quincy wrote:

Do you have proof? Even if we accept that, all it proves is that the poor have larger elements of the vulgar and criminal. Or at the very least, the have less to lose.
I have reporting..check out Saunder's work in the tue Globe and Mail
0 Replies