Incandescent Light Bulb Hoarding

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 02:55 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Here is what I am truly against:

Having a light bulb in my house that if it breaks I need to open all of my windows and leave the premises...

You don't have to do that. Quit being such a pussy, Finn.

Quote:
just because some pissants in Washington think that light bulbs will tip the scales on evironmental integrity.

They definitely will help. It's just a question of math, a subject which you may or may not be familiar with. AND, irregardless of the environment, taking away energy which is wasted during light production frees up energy for other uses - which we always need.

Cycloptichorn
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 02:59 pm
@Dave World,
Quote:
Do you think it's cool to bastardize the language?
i think it's way cool -- that's prolly why i do it...

Quote:
It isn't. It just makes you sound dumb.
you're prolly right, but who cares?
i come here fer fun... yee-ha!

Quote:
I'll bet that your job, if you have one, doesn't require written communications.
it sure do.
not that it's any of your biz --
i've managed to hold on to my current job for over 10 years -- prolly due to my superior writing skills...
Questioner

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 03:09 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

i've managed to hold on to my current job for over 10 years -- prolly due to my superior writing skills...

And rugged good looks.

I have to say that if it weren't for the electricity savings I would throw my hat into the incandescent bulb ring. I've grown accustomed, after many years of painting under them, to the way colors look under those bulbs. I've tried it with the new line and they make it a bit rougher on my eyes.

Who knows, maybe in 10 years I won't be able to remember the difference.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 05:10 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Here is what I am truly against:

Having a light bulb in my house that if it breaks I need to open all of my windows and leave the premises...

You don't have to do that. Quit being such a pussy, Finn.

Sez you machoman. I've seen the governmental literature that says otherwise. Surely you're not suggesting the government is lying about these bulbs?

If, just to prove your Progressive bonafides, you wish to stand and inhale mercury vapors when one of these eco-bulbs shatters, be my guest. I'm sure someone will send your widow a posthumous certificate of your Eco-Warrior credentials.

Quote:
just because some pissants in Washington think that light bulbs will tip the scales on evironmental integrity.

They definitely will help. It's just a question of math, a subject which you may or may not be familiar with. AND, irregardless of the environment, taking away energy which is wasted during light production frees up energy for other uses - which we always need.

Here's a concept with which you may or may not be familiar: Scale.

If I get a million people to face the southeast and blow, it will defintely help in preventing a hurricane from hitting Florida. Of course that help will be utterly negligible, but every bit helps.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 05:29 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
If I get a million people to face the southeast and blow, it will defintely help in preventing a hurricane from hitting Florida. Of course thathelp will be utterly negligible, but every bit helps.

Actually, there's no evidence that it would help at all with such a thing. Hurricanes are hundreds and thousands of feet up; it's quite unlikely that ground-level wind would have any effect at all on them. So, a poor example.

On the other hand, replacing incandescent lightbulbs with CFL or LED ones is a verifiable saver of energy. You can try it at home if you like... and in the long run, the energy savings really do add up.

Re: the Mercury, I just finished reading a book about the widespread and repeated use of it to fight the effects of syphilis during the 17th and early 18th centuries in England and other places; patients would take rather large doses of the substance. Of course, it didn't work, but they hardly had someone writing out their death certificates, and this was with daily use of the subject. So, you can stop hyperventilating next time you break a bulb; just clean it up with a broom and move on with your life...

But the point really is to complain, not to have valid complaints. Right? Complainin' makes your type feel good.

Cycloptichorn
roger

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 05:55 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I believe you. I think they also lied about the Mexican spotted owl.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 07:41 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

I believe you. I think they also lied about the Mexican spotted owl.

I'm not sure what lies you are referring to, but I'm not entirely against the position I think you may be taking.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 04:38 pm
@roger,
So whatis the all out brightest option that can be screwed into a standard light fixture/table/floor lamp? I'm perfectly fine with energy savings but i won't be saving much if I have to read under two floor lamps instead of one.
roger

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 05:44 pm
@Pitter,
I'm not really sure. LEDs are looking good, but so far as I can tell they still seem to work more like floodlights than area lights. In a gooseneck or pole type floor lamp, they may be perfect. It the bulbs point towards the ceiling, that's pretty much where most of the light is going to go. I haven't looked at them in the past year, but that was my impression then.

The screw in compact flourescents should be good, and I am happy with the quality of light. Still, they don't seem to put out as much light as the advertised watt equivalants would indicate, and higher powered ones are hard to find.

Maybe someone else is more up to date on this.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 05:49 pm
@roger,
I've a range of those compact fluorescents from those said to be 40 watts, 60, 75, and a hundred, and they come in differing light warmths. I like soft white myself.
All this at home depot, but I'm not sure Pitter has the equivalent kind of store nearby.
roger

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 06:29 pm
@ossobuco,
Someday, I'll ask about those differing light warmths. I suppose this will drag me into the topic of light in degrees Kelvin, which I've never been able to follow.

For now, I've got a circular fluorescent in the kitchen which is great, and the CFLs in the rest of the house. I would just love to try the LEDs. I could probably afford a few if I knew they would disperse the light like I need, but for now they are way to expensive to experiment with.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 06:58 pm
@roger,
I got fooled very early on, in my view, by buying an expensive daylight fluorescent of the long tube kind. Eh, I didn't like it. Later did that again with the compact ones, both times thinking it would help with with my oil painting re true color choices. Pah!!
Too icy/bluish for moi.

Wonder what Farmerman would say. Anyway, I like warmish light and I like real daylight.

You know who knew this stuff cold was George (lightwizard). He might have some writing on it still on a2k.

I've had a couple of the cheaper compact ones poop out fast, but most of them are lasting foreverish. Being nightblind, which includes trouble in semi dark, I keep some lights on all the time, 24/7. Whatever expense, really not much now with the compact fluorescents, makes me feel more secure and helps me not walk into the closet instead of the hallway.

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 11:06 am
@ossobuco,
You're not looking for Daylight bulbs, Osso, you want Full Spectrum.
They are about 92% identical to sunlight, prescribed for people with SAD and, from what artists tell me, make blues look blue and reds look red and yellows look yellow.
Just don't use them under any type of diffusor no matter how clear it is.

Joe(look into my eyes, blue, red and yellow!)Nation
ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 11:16 am
@Joe Nation,
You're right of course. I think that long ago fluorescent (tube, I think) was the full spectrum sort, though. But now I'm not sure. And that more recently, I'm mixing that up with daylight labels.
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 11:19 am
@ossobuco,
Daylight bulbs are blue-ish...they make every room look just like a morgue.

As well as everyone in it.

Joe(you look a little pale, dear.)Nation
ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 11:22 am
@Joe Nation,
Yeah, thatsa what I'm whining about.
I also didn't like the one that I'm, oh, 94% sure was "full spectrum" but that was a whole bunch of years ago (not sure which year) and since your comment I trust my memory less.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 11:26 am
@Joe Nation,
Benefits of LED lights over CFL/incandescent.

1. Instant on (beats CFL)
2. Dimmable (beats CFL)
3. No mercury (beats CFL, although I 'm with Cyclo on this one)
4. Energy used (beats CFL, beats incandescent big time)
5. Lifespan (beats CFL, beats incandescent big time) 22 years. I'll be nearly retirement age before I have to change a bulb again....

I'm beginning to see lifespan as what will really kill incandescent. No more burned out bulbs, digging out a spare, living with a dead bulb because you just don't want to unscrew the little screws that hold the globe on....
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 11:42 am
@DrewDad,
Oh, yeah, LEDs beat the hell out anything, and they are finally coming up with a whitish light which people find appealing.
I'd be very much surprised if newly married couples weren't already receiving a set of ten LED light bulbs as wedding gifts.
(They will just have to remember to take them with them as they move from apartment to apartment to two bedroom house to four bedroom house.)

When their eldest kid is graduating from high school, he'll be asked to change the light bulb in one of the lamps in the den. He'll ask :

Joe(what do you mean, change a light bub?)Nation
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2022 05:57 am

Biden administration moves to phase out compact
fluorescent light bulbs and push market toward LEDs

(cnn)
0 Replies