Left Handed Compliments

dyslexia

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 02:30 pm
"Well, if nothing else Bob, you are interesting."
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 02:31 pm
Mari, When my first born was quite young, my mother-in-law came by to visit. She looked at me and said, "We are going to fix a good dinner for little girl tonight, aren't we?"

"We?" I sputtered. "Sure, which part are you going to do?"
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 02:36 pm
dys/Bob. I'm surprised that red headed temper didn't flare. I think "interesting" may be a word that can go either way.
0 Replies

Mari

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 02:39 pm
Now that was a good one Letty! Smile Mine usually offered to cook for some occasion and then left me with either all of it to do, or all the dishes to clean up after she had gone.

Oh! I remembered one...Honey I really like this dinner you made, but it's not good for my stomach, do you think you could make me something else instead?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 02:42 pm
Wow!, Mari. Now I'm beginning to understand your delight at having her half a continent away.
0 Replies

Mari

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 02:57 pm
Letty don't put her closer...lol...she's half a world away...on the other side of the ocean and then some Very Happy

I've been thinking, you should have handed the baby to your mother in law and said great I'll be back later! Wink
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 03:00 pm
One of those: "I wish I had thought of that"! Razz
0 Replies

Mari

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 03:09 pm
LOL..yeah...I probably wouldn't have thought of it then either.
0 Replies

John Garvey

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 10:37 am
How about this? It's real:

I defended you today. Someone said you weren't fit to eat with pigs. I said "You are too!"
0 Replies

morganwood

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 11:35 am
At the opening of In-service training in a small school district in WV, the Superintendent welcomed all the professional teachers, and also those who had come from out of state, to the beginning of a new school year.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 12:48 pm
Hey, everybody.

I really appreciated the responses, here. This is not one of my better days, but I hope to get through it anyway.

Morganwood, It's so good to see you here again, and that just like a super, isn't It?

John Garvey, I heard that just a little differently. Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 12:48 pm
Only WV has the professionals, eh? Cool (Nice to see you, morganwood! Has been a while.)
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 01:00 pm
You're in pretty good shape...
...for a guy your age.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 01:08 pm
My younger brother got me with this one, when I moved from Michigan to Florida ten years ago:

"I think its good that you're going. You'll be able to increase the average IQ level in two states."
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 01:23 pm
The litotes is a term for a certain type of praise, such as, "She's not unattractive," or "Your voice isn't bad." Leave the listener wondering a bit about what's really being communicated...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 06:31 pm
D'art., litotes? Wow...now that beats being a lefty anytime.

A friend of mine and I were double dating one night. My friend saw her date looking at me and replied. "Well, I see you giving Letty the once over. What do you think? "Well, he replied. "I wouldn't kick her out of bed." I was such a kid then, that I thought it a supreme compliment.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 07:33 pm
I think it was Alexander Pope who wrote,

"Damned with faint praise...."
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 08:22 pm
Noddy, I don't recall that Pope quote, but it's a damned good one.

The only one that I can think of at the moment is ..."fools rush in..." Great song taken from that, but I won't sing it unless you beg me to. Smile

Which makes me think of the typical musician thing. We were all out at a club that was jointly owned by several friends. Someone suggested that I sit in, and sing "Goody Goody" so I walked to the bandstand and asked Duffy if that would be all right. "Okay, he said. "but just one."

At first, I thought of turning around and going back to our table, but then I thought--why should I? So I replied that should I get an encore would two do? I did, and he wasn't too happy about that.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 08:59 pm
Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer,

And without sneering, teach the rest to sneer;

Willing to wound, and yet afraid to strike,

Just hint at fault, and hesitate dislike.

Alexander Pope Imitations of Horace

Pope was a rip-roaring, articulate, l hunchbacked viper. Did you know that he, personally and unaided, is responsible for the popularity of the weeping willow?

For faint praise--one of the nastiest things you can say about an amateur theatrical performance: "Most of them knew all their lines."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 11:46 pm
Clever and interesting thread, which I can't add to from my own mind right this minute. Long may this thread live, though, as a lot of us may think of entering descriptions later.........
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 05:43:09