Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 09:03 pm
Do any of you have any experience being a 'puppy walker' for one of the aid dog foundations?

My husband recently announced that he thought that would be a good thing for us to do when we retire. And I think it would be great, too. I've checked out the websites for both Canine Companions and Guidedogs and the only possible problem I see is my Jenny.

The Guidedog site has some questions about existing dogs, one of which has to do with the dog's reaction to loud noises/thunder, etc. Jenny is a wimp and when it thunders she needs to be very close (and I mean very) to either my husband or (if he's not available) me. Is that enough to disqualify us as puppy walkers?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,470 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 09:14 pm
bandylu2- I recently went to my local guide dog association. I had thought that I might like to be a "puppy walker". At the place that I went to, there was no particular committment.There were just certain times that you could come and walk the dogs.

Actually, I was there once. I never did get to walk the older dogs. I started out with "socializing" the puppies. I didn't realize that it meant practically rolling around the floor with the pups. I made the mistake of wearing sandals with velcro straps, and the pups learned to open the straps.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 09:17 pm
Gee, Phoenix, around here (and in PA, too, where we're hoping to go when we retire) you keep the puppy in your home from 8 weeks until about 12 -14 months. It's a big commitment, but the end result is great. I don't think I could part with the puppy if we didn't have Jenny (and I suppose she might not like parting with the puppy), but if we can do it AND have Jenny, I'd do it in a minute.
0 Replies

gdbraiser

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 11:13 am
puppy walker
Me and my twin sister are currently waiting for our puppy to raise, and we are doing it through Guide Dogs for the Blind, Inc. We will have the puppy, (probably a yellow lab, that's what we want) from about february (when it's eight weeks old, we have to wait for a puppy for so long because my personal puppy is only seven months old and the dogs have to be at least eight months apart) to probably anywhere from february of 2006 to june of 2006. With GDB (guide dogs for the blind) your other dogs have a great affect on if you can raise a puppy for them or not, however, both of our current dogs have very annoying habits, and I do not think that your pet would make it so that you wouldn't be able to raise a guide dog, you would just have to be careful when there's thunder and in any interaction between the pup and your dog, which is recommended anyways. Well I hope that answered your question, Puppy Raisers from Oregon, Coreena and Allisha
If you have any further questions, here is my e-mail [email protected]
0 Replies

gdbraiser

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 11:18 am
puppy raiser
Phoenix32890 depending on where you are at a "puppy walker" is a puppy socializer, getting the future guide dogs used to human interaction before they are actually sent to their puppy raisers. In Eastern US a puppy walker is the actual raiser, the person who has the pup from about 8 weeks to anywhere from 12 months to 18 months. sometimes it is just the difference in these two different terms for the same thing that causes confusion, but in western US a puppy raiser is the actual raiser and a walker just spends time with the pups when they're still in the kennel. Well I hope that helped clarify, Puppy Raiser, Allisha
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 11:30 am
This thread has given me an idea for an exciting new tv show...

The Puppy Walkers

Starring Bill Trevers and Linda Johnson.

A light romantic comedy.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 12:05 pm
gdbraiser- You are right. After I wrote that post I subsequently discovered that there are people who socialize the pups at home until the dogs are ready for serious training.

Welcome to A2K! Very Happy
0 Replies

gdbraiser

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 07:40 pm
thank you, and I hope you all consider raising a guide dog pup and look into it further, it is a great program which helps people while at the same time being great fun and very fulfilling.
0 Replies

gdbraiser

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 07:43 pm
I also hope you decide to go back and socialize the pups, just dress better next time,and eventually you might be able to walk the older dogs, you would just have to be trained how to walk them, the corrections and timing and everything is very crucial, well again I hope you consider it
0 Replies