The Metaphor Game

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 09:18 am
In a post-apocalyptic world, the surviving local populations have lost the knowledge of language, and of the usage of basic items we take for granted. As for abstract thought, it's just a blip on a far away radar. An alien team of missionaries is collected together (known as the A2K project), to re-educate the natives to their pre-apocalypse ways. The idea is to make the people understand the meaning of a word through metaphor, personal anecdote, or example, or all three. Entries should be written in diary form, describing the process in detail. I will throw out an easy word, and if someone grabs it, post another word, and so on. So...

teapot
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,142 • Replies: 9
No top replies

onyxelle

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 10:08 am
would this be right?:

teapot

Dear Diary (D. D. from here on out),

When I use this, It heats up my favorite liquid on a stovetop until steaming, then I pour the liquid out from it (into my fav-o-rite cup of course) You might say it's a saucepan with a curvy handle, a lid and a spout (tip it over and pour it out hehehehe)
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 01:46 pm
D D
After plugging the volcano bubbler into the eyes-in-the-wall for a few minutes, I poured the seething water into a potbellied, earthy vessel like a sulky grandmother, along with two paper minisacks of the elixir of life and waited four minutes. The amber liquid therein brought ecstasy to my waiting tongue.
??or like this??

Are we to suggest another? triicycle?
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 02:15 pm
we're supposed to suggest another, but i did not want to just yet, in case i'd gotten it wrong....your's seems more right
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 02:33 pm
Hmm....what we seem to be missing here is context. Here is the sort of thing I had in mind, from 'teapot':

Dear Diary

After weeks of nothing to drink but stagnant water that had to be boiled just to rid it of pestilence, I was getting quite the craving for a good, strong cup of tea. I never travel without a stout old Brown Betty. It must have been my lucky day, because as I was wandering near the marshlands, I saw a group of native children playing hide and seek among what were clearly overgrown tea plants. I beckoned them over and asked "So chaps, what do you call those plants over there?" No response. I remembered they knew me as professor, so I led them back to the plants. I pointed at myself and said: "Professor", then pointed at the plants. It took a few trys, and finally one child pointed at the plants and yelled "Atee! Atee!" They watched with curiousity as I plucked the best leaves and laid them out to dry in the sun. I had learned enough of their simple language to explain that Atee gives one strength, but first it must make two sacrifices: One to the the sun, and one to the fire. They watched as I pulled out my Brown Betty and put it on the fire to boil. The leaves were quite ready, and I added them to the water, amidst oohs and ahhs. When it was perfectly steeped, I gave out small portions to the children in cups I had carved from gourds, and had a fine cupper myself. One child was fascinated by my Brown Betty. He pointed at it and said "unnh....unnh?" "Oh, you want to know what that is called? It is called 'Atee Pot', and it is a holy vessel used only for the god Atee. "Atee Pot", the group said in unison. "Well done, children." I contemplated a fine day's work while sipping my remaining tea under the setting sun.

We can move on to tricycle and continue the saga.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 03:00 pm
cav your games always require the most thinking dude :-)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 03:03 pm
Just trying to liven up the brain.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 04:24 pm
I see. Smile
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 06:29 pm
bm