Report says: 40% of valid E-mails never reach the recipient

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 07:30 am
Langa Letter: E-Mail--Hideously Unreliable
Jan. 12, 2004
A recent test by InformationWeek columnist Fred Langa shows that up to 40% of valid E-mails never reach the recipient. Here's what it all means to you.

By Fred Langa

You're losing E-mails. It's almost certain that some significant percentage of your legitimate outbound E-mails aren't getting to their destinations; or that some significant percentage of your legitimate inbound E-mails are being lost before you ever see them.
When I say "significant," I don't mean a few. I mean something like 40%, or even more in some cases. And I'm not talking about losing junk mail. I'm talking about the loss of totally valid, non-spam/non-junk E-mail.

Think about that for a minute: As many as four out of 10 of your serious E-mails--the sort you might exchange with co-workers, friends, business associates, or customers--may not be making it to their intended destinations.

This alarming statistic is derived from a large test I conducted late last year, involving more than 10,000 participants. I announced the test with a call for volunteers in an issue of my E-mail newsletter last October. It said, in part:

...I'd like to gather a group of volunteers... and send each one a simple non-spam E-mail message, in plain text and with no attachments, from a personal mail account (not a bulk mailer). I'd like to see how many of these simple messages actually make it through the gauntlet of servers, routers, and ISP-based and local mail filters.

I won't tell the volunteers in advance what address the mail will come from or what the subject line will be.... Rather, I propose to simulate a normal, unanticipated, plain text, non-spam E-mail, as if between friends or coworkers, and see what gets through....

source: INFORMATION WEEK
full article HERE!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 599 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 07:36 am
Yeah. On my ISP I have gotten confidential information meant to be sent from one doctor to another. It was a protocol for setting up a certain type of practice. (I informed the intended recipient, and told him that I was sworn to secrecy).

There is some club that sends me news all the time. I have absolutely no idea whom these people are.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 08:54 am
Re: Report says: 40% of valid E-mails never reach the recipi
Quote:
Langa Letter: E-Mail--Hideously Unreliable
A recent test by InformationWeek columnist Fred Langa shows that up to 40% of valid E-mails never reach the recipient.

The test didn't really show that. First of all, the experiment was rather unscientific. For example, he assumes that everyone who signed up for the test in the first day was highly motivated and wouldn't be prone to laziness. Several paragraphs down in the email he sent out to the volunteers, he explains clearly that people should not click Reply but should enter in a completely different email address, but some people won't read down that far & will click reply right away.

Secondly, that should've been written something like "up to 40% of valid email from people not in your address book," as most people safelist anyone they communicate with regularly.

I'm not saying that the trigger-happy spam-blocking he's talking about isn't a problem, just that I doubt his numbers are accurate.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 09:14 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Yeah. On my ISP I have gotten confidential information meant to be sent from one doctor to another. It was a protocol for setting up a certain type of practice. (I informed the intended recipient, and told him that I was sworn to secrecy).

There is some club that sends me news all the time. I have absolutely no idea whom these people are.

These aren't the same thing as what the guy was reporting on. In the doctor's case, your address was most likely written accidently (possibly because of a typo) in the To, CC or BCC field.

In the newsletter's case, most likely someone else signed you up on their mailing list, or the club acquired your email address through spammers' usual methods.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 09:29 am
[quote="Monger]
The test didn't really show that. First of all, it was a very unscientific experiment. For example, he assumes that everyone who signed up for the test in the first day was highly motivated and wouldn't be prone to laziness. Several paragraphs down in the email he sent out, he explains clearly that people should not click Reply but should enter in a completely different email address, but some people won't read down that far & will click reply right away, if they reply at all.

Secondly, that should've been written something like "up to 40% of valid email from people not in your address book," as most people safelist anyone they communicate with regularly.

I'm not saying that the trigger-happy spam-blocking he's talking about isn't a problem, just that I strongly doubt his numbers are accurate.[/quote]

Well, monger, since I did the test myself, I really know a little bit about it:

you didn't get that email by surprise nor has it been a procedure you didn't know before:
when you (seriously) took part in this test, you knew all before.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 09:37 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Well, monger, since I did the test myself, I really know a little bit about it:

you didn't get that email by surprise nor has it been a procedure you didn't know before:
when you (seriously) took part in this test, you knew all before.

I'd gone through the whole article on his website, so yeah I understood that. I guess it's quite possible that things are that bad, I just have some doubts. Anywho, I went back and took out the "strongly doubt" from what I wrote earlier...I haven't seen conflicting reports or anything.
0 Replies