Education: KhanAcademy.org turns education on its head.

DrewDad

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 03:16 pm
By recording and providing access to free lectures, khanacademy.org allows teachers to spend classroom time helping students instead of standing up at the blackboard.

http://news.slashdot.org/firehose.pl?op=view&type=story&sid=11/07/16/1238241

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/07/ff_khan/all/1

Quote:

Initially, Thordarson thought Khan Academy would merely be a helpful supplement to her normal instruction. But it quickly become far more than that. She’s now on her way to “flipping” the way her class works. This involves replacing some of her lectures with Khan’s videos, which students can watch at home. Then, in class, they focus on working problem sets. The idea is to invert the normal rhythms of school, so that lectures are viewed on the kids’ own time and homework is done at school. It sounds weird, Thordarson admits, but this flipping makes sense when you think about it. It’s when they’re doing homework that students are really grappling with a subject and are most likely to need someone to talk to. And now Thordarson can tell just when this grappling occurs: Khan Academy provides teachers with a dashboard application that lets her see the instant a student gets stuck.

“I’m able to give specific, pinpointed help when needed,” she says.

The result is that Thordarson’s students move at their own pace. Those who are struggling get surgically targeted guidance, while advanced kids like Carpenter rocket far ahead; once they’re answering questions without making mistakes, Khan’s site automatically recommends new topics to move on to. Over half the class is now tackling subjects like algebra and geometric formulas. And even the less precocious kids are improving: Only 3 percent of her students were classified as average or lower in end-of-year tests, down from 13 percent at midyear.

http://www.khanacademy.org/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,530 • Replies: 3
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 04:47 pm
@DrewDad,
I think what he did is great. Mo's watched several of his videos and they've really helped him. I'd like for him to work through all of them up to what he's "learned" at school but so far I can't get him too interested.

Sal Khan's TED talk is fantastic if you haven't seen it yet it is well worth watching.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 01:17 pm
@boomerang,
I've worked through a couple of the videos on programming, and they work.

The list of topics is impressive.
boomerang

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 04:40 pm
@DrewDad,
Seriously impressive!

I really like his ideas about having the lectures at home and having school time devoted to the teacher helping the students master what they're struggling with.
0 Replies