The Internet? To capitalize or not capitalize? That is the question!

djjd62

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 05:54 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
But seriously, should we be concerned about weather or not a word is capitalized or not?

i'm much more concerned about the weather Razz
farmerman

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 06:06 am
@djjd62,
I only worry whenever the cap in the word becomes critical to the url. Then I panic.
Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 06:14 am
@farmerman,
Do you bring in a ringer when you need to type in a web address?
ehBeth

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 06:17 am
@Mame,
Do you know when the next fish fry will be? Last year's was excellent.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 06:26 am
@ehBeth,
Did somebody say Fish Fry?
ehBeth

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 06:29 am
@tsarstepan,
Mame has fish to fry. Big fish.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 06:33 am
@Setanta,
Mrs F is in charge of anything that needs to be spelt correctly.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 06:53 am
@farmerman,
Smelt would be perfect for the fish fry. Ask Mrs F if she has any good recipes for smelt.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 08:04 am
@ehBeth,
However, isn't it fishcist to not capitalize Smelt?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 12:12 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
It still takes about one and a half seconds for a signal to travel one way between the earth and the moon, and depending on the relative positions, anywhere from 15 to 40 minutest between the earth and Mars. Can't get around the exigencies of light speed, Boss . . .

Not a problem for the IP protocol. There is even an internet standard for IP connections using carrier pigeons (RFC 2549), which take even longer to reach their destinations. Nevertheless, it has been implemented successfully, albeit with a high rate of packet loss. Interplanetary IP connections would be high-latency, but feasible.
Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 12:41 pm
@Thomas,
You couldn't do IM, and you and i could not talk "in real time"--not that that would necessarily be a loss.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 12:48 pm
@Setanta,
No could you do ChatRoulette! No sharing Martian penises for you Earthers!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 12:54 pm
The point, of course, is not about the protocols. The point is about human patience. Why should i try to IM with someone on the earth if i'm on Mars? At the nearest point, that's a 30 minute turn-around time--hardly an instant "Instant message." There would be no incentive to try to talk to people on other planets, and every incentive to turn inward to the people on the local network.
Thomas

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 01:22 pm
@Setanta,
But you could still e-mail, share files, post dog pictures on Facebook, and annoy Christians in A2K's political threads. There's more to the Internet than IMing.
wayne

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 01:23 pm
@Setanta,
You've reminded me of an interesting phenomenon I experienced a couple of weeks ago.

I was drift fishing, in a boat, on a small local lake with a friend, after dark. It happened that another friend was fishing from the bank, within earshot.
Rather than shout, the friend on the bank called my friend's cell phone. So I had the rather unique experience of hearing his voice, on the phone, well before I heard his actual voice across the water.
Gave a whole new dimension to the term, real time.
Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 01:33 pm
@Thomas,
Yes, but in the worst case, it would be more than an hour for call and response between Mars and the earth, even just for posting here. The situation would be even more exreme from the moons of the gas giants. So why would anyone bother? It would look like the internet did in the late 1970s, where you'd post a message, and come back a few days later to see if anyone had read it and responded to it. People just wouldn't bother.

It just galls the hell out of you to admit that you might have missed the point, doesn't it.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 01:34 pm
@Thomas,
you'd still need more than one internet for the galaxy

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 01:34 pm
@wayne,
Whoa Dude . . . echo chamber . . .
wayne

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 01:52 pm
@Setanta,
It got me thinkin about breaking out the spotting scope and trying a little experiment one of these days. That would be really weird.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 01:59 pm
@Setanta,
That's a pertinent objection. I'll be sure to lower-case "Internet" as soon as the first human colony on Europa goes live.

Setanta wrote:
It just galls the hell out of you to admit that you might have missed the point, doesn't it.

There was a point?