What's the low down on the American Heritage Girls?

DrewDad

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 01:00 pm
Yaya's of an age to join Girl Scouts or American Heritage Girls. Is the American Heritage Girls actively evangelical?

Scouting with Christians doesn't bother me; becoming a Jesus Scout might be a bit much.

skbowers220

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 07:16 am
@DrewDad,
American Heritage Girls (AHG) do not try to evangelize others in the community, if that is what you mean. The girls are taught biblical principles and values, but they are not taught to be "Jesus Scouts" as you put it. We have many girls in our troop who are not from Christian homes. We welcome all girls. However, leaders must be Christians who are living moral lives and are good role models.

I was a Girl Scout for 31 years and left when I discovered how far off course it was going. I was a trainer for our council and discovered that GSUSA was abandoning the skills-based training that prepares girls for the future in favor of training them to be social activists. (See how they retired all skills-based badges http://www.gswny.org/Shop/RetiringBadges/). It has only gotten worse since I left Girl Scouts three years ago. They are now promoting new ages practices, early sexual awareness/education training, and more. (For more information you can check out these sites: www.honestgirlscouts.com).

AHG is patterned after the Boy Scouts program and offers a well-rounded skills-based program that seeks to build the entire person. They offer over 80 badges and sports pins and promote family involvement. I don't know whether you have checked out the AHG website, but here is the URL: www.ahgonline.org.

--Shauna Bowers [email protected]
Edit (Moderator): Link removed
speechchic

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 08:40 am
@skbowers220,
Fabulous answer Shauna! I am an AHG leader also, and my daughter is an Explorer. AHG does more than simply permit a faith in a higher power; they encourage girls and leaders (who can be men and women) to cultivate their faith and make it a real part of their lives. AHG does not promote any specific denomination and has charter organizations in more than 2 dozen denominations.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 09:18 am
@DrewDad,
Stick to the Girl Scouts, the AHG's were pretty creepy/culty when we were checking them out for my two nieces.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 09:45 am
This is bizarre. Have you been reposting this thread, or have the responses from the AHG queens been deleted?
JPB

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 09:47 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:
American Heritage Girls is a Christ-centered character development program dedicated to the mission of building women of integrity through service to God, ...

wooboy
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 09:59 am
@Setanta,
I think they may have been raptured.
Setanta

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 10:21 am
@wayne,
One can only hope . . .
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 04:26 pm
Well, the verdict is in.

American Heritage Girls is pretty much an extension of whatever church they're affiliated with. A church actually charters and controls the group, or troop, or whatever you call it.

It appears that we'll be starting a Girl Scouts troop.
djjd62

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 04:41 pm
simply from the name alone (i know nothing else about them), the American Heritage Girls sounds like the front for a white supremacist group
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 04:42 pm
@DrewDad,
are there still campfire girls?

when my sister was little, she was one of them.

better uni's than the fem scouts...
djjd62

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 04:44 pm
@Rockhead,
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/35/Firestarter.jpg/200px-Firestarter.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 04:46 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
It appears that we'll be starting a Girl Scouts troop.

Go DrewFamily! I'll be interested in how that goes. Sozlet did Daisy whatevers and Girl Scouts camp one year, she actually liked it but the troupe leader couldn't keep doing it and nobody else stepped up to take over. So no Girl Scouts for her age in the area right now. She did something similar for a while that was for kids + dads (outdoorsy), right now no nothing at all. A bunch of us are muttering about doing either that or 4-H, not sure what will happen.

She's already busy enough that I'm not super-enthusiastic about adding more, but I do really like the outdoorsy/ campy part.
djjd62

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 04:51 pm
@Rockhead,
or maybe
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 10:48 pm
@sozobe,
Camping is a big theme this year. Along with horses....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 03:01 am
Horses are always a sure-fire hit with girls . . . you godless heathen . . .
0 Replies