The Kvetch Thread

Roberta

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 12:11 am
@dlowan,
Very sympathetic, bunny.

Don't like to think of you in pain. How long do you have to wait to see the doctor?

There should be some kind of special consideration for people in pain.

Hope the woollies are giving you some peace.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 05:29 am
@Ragman,
Toojay's is right. I always loved the one at the International Mall, near the airport. The last couple of times though, I have been disappointed. We had dinner there one night, and I had the pot roast. You shouldn't know from it. It didn't seem much different from the gunky, gravy laden stuff that you can get anywhere in the south.

I think that I will stick to the chopped liver and corned beef, which is still wonderful. Oh, only order the killer chocolate cake, if you can share it with three other people. It IS great, but guarantee to give you diabetes, even if you did not have it when you walked in.
Roberta

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 06:14 am
@Phoenix32890,
If it has a delicious dessert, it's not a kosher deli. Especially if it has a chocolate cake. Mmmmmmmm.

You won't eat sour cream and cottage cheese, but you eat a third of a piece of chocolate cake..........I like that.
JPB

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 07:09 am
@dlowan,
Sorry about the all-over pain, deb. Chronic pain sucks! Are you familiar with MSM? It was recommended to me by the nutritionist at the holistic center. He also recommended this book. Go slowly, you'll need to build up bowel tolerance. Your body will absorb what it can but the excess is.... erm.... cleansing. Also, the powder form tastes like crap. The capsules are a little more expensive but they're worth the extra cost, imo.

I hope you feel better soon.
dlowan

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 08:23 am
@JPB,
I take msm. I'll have a look at the book.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 11:49 am
@Roberta,
Kosher deli? In a
the western part of Florida??? You have got to be kidding. That would be the definition of "farblunzhet".

Toojays has all sorts of stuff, but is noted for its New York style deli. They also have special meals for Jewish holidays, but it is definitely not kosher.

Someone once tried to open a kosher store/deli in Tampa some years back. It was not a very appetizing place, and died a quick demise.
Ragman

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 02:32 pm
@Phoenix32890,
that's what I heard (about Kosher or Kosher-style western fl deli). My oldest sister (76yr old and also orig a Bostonian and a No. Va resident) has been down here since aound 1996 told me about the deli situation. At least there's decent brisket and corned beef to be had there. The fact is that if either sister (both are local) made a brisket, they'd put them to shame, but you can't get them cooking like that anymore. (openly weeping)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 01:25 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

kvetch

In the past three months we've had to replace the air conditioner unit ($3700), the sump pump ($420) and the dehumidifier ($125). We also need to replace/repair the dishwasher, washer and drier, and the vacuum cleaner. The only appliance in my house that seems to be working well is the refrigerator. We cleared and will burn the fallen trees ourselves (est for removal $3500), but our chain saw is showing signs of giving up the ghost. The lawn mower also wants to be repaired/replaced but we're almost done with mowing season so we'll put that off until spring. All three cars are in need of significant repair/maintenance - total estimate about $2500. The list keeps growing and, at this point, we're just adding things to the list in trying to stem the financial bleeding. Washing and drying dishes by hand is good water therapy. The clothes, however, need more than I'm willing to do in my sink.

On a brighter note - Mr B has a meeting today with some folks who are doing something that may someday turn into a job offer.

Oy!

Where do I begin...

Monday, I guess. I got a call on Monday from an attorney representing K on a law suit against her (and three other drivers of three other vehicles) on an accident from four years ago. She was 17 at the time and was car #4 in a five car pile up. She was driving my car, which was totaled when it was rear-ended by car #5 and pushed her into car #3. She and her passenger were uninjured, but there was at least one injury in one or more of the cars in front of her. Three years later, driver of car #1 decides to sue everyone who happened to be on the road that night and named everyone in a law suit. One year later (now) Kim is scheduled for a deposition in her case. The call from the attorney on Monday was to verify that K is planning on being there at her appointed time today, Wednesday. I have no idea. First I'd heard of it. Turns out it's the first K had heard of it too and whatever notification they sent (to the house here, supposedly) never arrived. I gave K the phone # of the woman who called, she made contact and that's the last I heard.

K now lives downtown in a building with very poor cell signal so I can't call her and get through. I can text message but yesterday was insanely busy so I forgot to send her a text to see what time she needed to be picked up from the train station so she could drive to Waukegan for her deposition. That's part of what I was churning on all night whilst not sleeping as I tried to sort through picking her up, being on my scheduled conference calls, Mr B's scheduled meetings and conference calls which may someday turn into an employment opportunity, and everything else that has to happen today, including the repairman who is coming to look at the washer and dryer - time unknown.

Mr Repairman calls and says he'll be here sometime between 1:30 and 4:00. Mr B leaves for his morning meeting. K calls at 11:30 and tells me she's about to get on the train to go to her deposition.

Me: Unh unh - I have a conference call at noon and can't come pick you up at the train station - what time is your deposition?
K: Oh, it's downtown. You don't need to pick me up.
Me: ARGHHH!!!!! Why didn't you tell me it was downtown?!?!?!?! Ok, bye and good luck. Let me know how it goes.
K: IT'S NOT MY FAULT, MOM!!!

I get on my 12:00 conference call. Around 12:30 I hear an incoming call on my work line. I have caller id on that line but not when I'm on it -- only a beep comes through that someone is trying to call in. I ignore it. 30 seconds later there's another beep and I decide I better find out what's so important. I hang up on my work call and K is in an absolute snit because she's arrived at the address they gave her and no one there knows anything about her or what she's there for. I re-text her the number from the lady on Monday, she calls, and there's someone covering the lunch hour who doesn't know K from Adam. K's now in a double snit because they'd told her that she'd be in contempt of court if she didn't show up on time. I dig around in my office and find a notification from a year ago with the attorney's name on it and that apparently gets her to where she needs to be.

I decided not to go back to my call in case she needed to get through to me for any reason. The house phone rang. It's Mr B. His car died on the way home and he needs me to come pick him up. Fortunately, he's only about 10 mins away but Mr Repairman might show up before I can get back so I call him (no answer), leave a message that I have to run out for a bit and I'll call him back when I'm available, leave to get Mr B, bring him back here just as K calls to tell me that she's done with her deposition and it was fine, but she's relieved that it's over.

Now -- where was I??? Oh, yeah. I need to let Mr Repairman know that I'm back and then try to salvage some work out of this day. In the meantime, Mr B is dealing with tow trucks and service departments.

I need a nap!
Izzie

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 01:31 pm
@JPB,
Flippin' 'eck! Shocked

OYing for you too

Good lawd girl - I am exhausted just from reading that. Gosh... do hope you will have time to breathe thisavo. Hope K is k... <can remember the wreck as if it were yesterday> oh my - hugging y'all (((((((((((JP & B's))))))))

JPB

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 01:50 pm
@Izzie,
No kidding. A nice long inhale is exactly what I need.

Oh, yeah... the lawnmower died yesterday in mid mow. Not on my list of thing to deal with, fortunately.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 02:03 pm
@JPB,
Oh good grief! That's a lot of complication, and you don't really need more complications just now.

How did she figure out it was downtown and not in Waukegan?

Glad that the deposition itself seemed to go fine though. Hope the suit comes to naught (re: her anyway, if car #5 or #1 is the one that messed up then I have no problem with #5 or #1 being sued, though that still seems like a lot of lag time).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 02:03 pm
@JPB,
That's the famous when it rains pouring happens continuum. Glad you snatched the piece of string that unraveled the blockage. Which piece of string? I don't remember, too complicated..

My theory is that K will come out fine on this, but never trust my theories.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 02:18 pm
There's already been one lawsuit over this accident. Driver of #2 sued #3. That was settled before it ever went to court. K was supposed to testify in that case but it never came to pass. From the beginning K said that she THINKS #2 hit #1 before she was hit. Or maybe it was #3 hitting #2 because she said she heard squeals, then a crash, more squeals, including her own, she stopped and then was hit from behind and pushed into #4. That was four years ago, though, so I don't know that they're going to want to know what she thinks she remembers.

The Waukegan vs Chicago disconnect came about because K and I spoke about her spending the night here afterwards (the accident was in Lake County, the attorney is in Lake County, and I assumed that her deposition was to be in Lake County) before she contacted the woman from the attorney's office. She knew since Monday that she wasn't coming up here today. I wasn't informed - but it's not her fault.

Yeah, osso, I think it's probably over now. Although, back last year when they notified us of the suit they said they were scheduling depositions of the five drivers and HOPEFULLY that would be the end of it. If they need to get statements from passengers then there will be 19 total depositions!
ossobuco

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 02:28 pm
@JPB,
I hate depositions myself. I've only been through one, in a situation that was bizarre to start with... which I'll refrain from going on about. It would give me agita'. I didn't lose, but no one won.

Good for K for doing well.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 02:38 pm
@JPB,
J, I'm impressed. That was a helluva kvetch. You lead a complicated life. Hoping the lawsuit turns out to be nothing. Hoping the lawnmower reactivates itself. Just hoping in general that all this stuff goes away for you. A little peace wouldn't hoit.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 02:44 pm
We are planning to go out west next week. I am already packed. Why, you ask? It's because I am a complete lunatic when it comes to packing. I really attempted to control myself this time, but it didn't work.

Now I can relax. The only problem is that Mr. P has not even started but, he has every suitcase, grip, duffel bag and various and sundry containers for things strewn all over the living room. He even has a suitcase that is so old, that it does not even have wheels. I gently suggested that the town dump might be an appropriate place for that piece of luggage, but he would not even hear of it. One never knows when it might come in handy.

I am repeating to myself.................I will not get upset, I will not nag!!! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 05:38 pm
@JPB,
$250 to repair a 23 year old washer and dryer. No estimate yet on the car or the lawn mower. K called and wants to come home tonight after all. Can I meet her at the train?

After I eat dinner!
Roberta

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 03:18 am
@JPB,
Phoenix, We all have out own approaches to packing. Go ahead and nag. He expects it.

BTW, I have a beautiful matched set of luggage. No wheels on anything. I haven't been anywhere in a loooooong time.

J, Seems kinda steep for an appliance repair, but I confess to knowing absolutely positively nothing about such things. When something doesn't work, I call the super.

I'm sympathetic though. I hope you enjoyed your dinner.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 11:23 am
I was gearing up for a major kvetch. Problem with Medicaid and a prescription. Worried. Annoyed. Etc.

Then at about 4:30 a.m. ( the shank of the evening for me), I had a lightbulb moment. I called the social worker at the hospital and left a message for her.

Got up for a pitstop and decided to check my messages. She resolved the whole problem.

I'm kvetchless and feeling a bit at a loss.

You work up a head of steam. You get the kvetch vibes tuned up. And the kvetch reason disappears.

Deflated but relieved. This doesn't happen very often. I think I waited too long to get rolling. Let that be a lesson to me.
sozobe

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 12:49 pm
@Roberta,
Kvetching about a lost opportunity to kvetch!

Only a master can pull that one off.

Meanwhile, I'm chuffed (as the antipodean folk say) that the problem has been resolved!