The Kvetch Thread

Ragman

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 08:43 pm
Ok. At the risk of some repetition, here goes.

As a result of Urology consult last Friday, this was an expected follow-on. VA in-patient operation...tomorrow is a procedure ..a bit dreaded but VERY necessary...due to the spread of my mantle cell lymphoma to the testicle. They call it orchiectomy but this sure as hell is not about orchids, I'm sorry to say. There'll be a hitch in my giddy-up. However, 2 weeks hence, the chemo treatments can THEN start (after this suitable healing time). Something to look fwd to. This cancer is curable but hopefully the regimen they've got planned for me which starts very soon will cure mine.

Wish me luck. I'll be in overnight Tues. This is 100% necessary to help my long term survival. My short term pain mgmt. for this operation is best done with a stay over especially with an afternoon procedure. General anesthesia, too. Woo HOO! I hit the jackpot. I think I'll be fine as they're aggressive. This illness called mantle cell lymphoma is a nasty one as it's systemic (goes wherever the lymph goes...everywhere) but it is treatable.

All of this is for the perverse purpose of someone needing a new Xmas tree ornament.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 09:05 pm
@Ragman,
We're with you.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 10:10 pm
@Ragman,
Just caught up with all of your adventures in medical-land, Raggie.

Here's hoping that a perfectly aggressive treatment gives you the best possible results.

Eyes, fingers and toes will be crossed. Hair will be braided.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 10:18 pm
@Ragman,
Hoping all goes well with your surgery, Ragman. I'll be bombarding Florida with my long-range good luck darts.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 10:52 pm
Sending healing karma and prayers for a successful treatment and full recovery. Be well, Ragman.
0 Replies

cherrie

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 10:57 pm
@Ragman,
Good to see you still have a sense of humour about it all.
Good luck with the surgery, I hope it goes well for you.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 01:18 am
I was getting ready to send you a PM. Where is this guy, and what's happening. And voila.

My hoper is well oiled and in high gear.

Please let us know how you are when you can.
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 04:39 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
All of this is for the perverse purpose of someone needing a new Xmas tree ornament.

Laughing Laughing
Glad your sense of humour is still intact! Laughing

Good luck - and good surgeon! Very Happy
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 05:48 am
Adding my wishes for ragman.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 08:28 am
I'm adding mine as well Ragman.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 01:27 pm
@Ragman,
Hope things went as expected and you're home now and on the mend.
Ragman

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 01:37 pm
@JPB,
Thanks for all your concern and caring. Y'all are a good group.

I returned home from VA hospital at 5:30 pm last night. My sister, bless her heart, drove me to the hospital, was there for the duration. She also helped me settle in at home where my 2 dogs were very solicitous as they knew I was hurting. She shopped at Trader Joes for all the good quick and healthy food items for me to eat.

I'm taking an appropriate amount of pain meds to take the edge off but not zonk me out. Not to be TMI but I'm also using stool softener too as the combo of general anesthesia and hydrocodone often can constipate for days. I'll have that 3-legged milking stool softened up in no time

Just now I went out to the store...0.5 mile away so getting in and out of the car wasn't a strain. I took my steps sloooo-oowly as being upright needed a slow gait not to jar my brain, etc.

So one small step for Russ-kind!
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 01:55 pm
@Ragman,
Be grateful you have such well behaved dogs given your circumstances. If you had cats, their attempt at helping would be for their own sinister pleasure:
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/2317244672/h15BA0CC9/

Now stay healthy Ragman! That's an order! Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 03:57 pm
Rags/Russ, this is good. Watch out for Jelly Bean!
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 04:55 pm
@Ragman,
Glad you got back home and are moving around already. A good sign.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 06:17 pm
@Ragman,
Hey, kid. Glad things are going well.

Slow is good.

Unzonked is also good.

Thanks for the report.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 08:31 pm
@Ragman,
Glad to hear all went well, Ragman. It's good you're able to move around and get out without too much discomfort. Just be careful, take it slow.

Hope the doggies continue to be considerate of the way you're feeling and take good care of you.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 09:48 pm
@Ragman,
Definitely good to find you behind the door when I arrived here tonight

http://www.corbisimages.com/images/Corbis-42-18504098.jpg?size=67&uid=f1be8d30-01c8-41be-95d2-5b62492ccfc2
Ragman

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 10:26 am
@ehBeth,
All's well here now and I'm feeling well and with very few side effects to speak of. I was an in-patient VA hospital from Friday for about 3-4 days. I probably am the only chemo patient that put on weight during my stay. In fact my /'f Leslie and I danced to some Motown tunes while I was being chemo-ed.

I'm blessed to have a reasonable energy and activity level. I'm being taken good care of by my g/f Leslie who really knows how to shape the experience and care of someone in my situation.

Thanks to all the well-wishers (and pardon my diversion).
Roberta

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 10:38 am
@Ragman,
Not a diversion. But hardly a kvetch, which is a good thing. I'm glad things are going well.
0 Replies