The Kvetch Thread

dlowan

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 07:03 am
@Roberta,
Here's to money and lumping!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 03:18 pm
I just turned down an editing job. I'm finishing up one editing job and have another sitting and waiting for me. Plus I just accepted a proofreading job.

I HATE turning down work. HATE it. There was a time when I could easily have handled three jobs. Those days are gone.

Snarling on the Upper East Side of the Big Apple.

Eva

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 06:33 pm
@Roberta,
I really love it that you're having problems like that!
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 06:47 pm
@Roberta,
It's about time you kvetched again. I was about to kvetch that you weren't kvetching.

In other news, Ms.Clippity-Clop of the apartment at the end of the hall has been moving these last few days.
She seems to be doing this mostly on her own, one over size suitcase at a time. Naturally, the damned thing has wheels on it and she crashes it into my door each time. Then down the stairs: Clomp, clomp, clomp, clomp... I hear the blasted thing going down 2 flights with the door closed. This has been happening about 10 times each day for nigh onto a week. She takes 1 bag down then runs back up and takes another bag down.

For a while I thought maybe she was hacking people up in her place and taking them out in parts.

Late yesterday the Amazonian creature, was on her evening run, and got some poor sap to help her.

Through the door I heard it:

"Are you sure? Are you really sure?

He mumbled something and then she bellowed how she just needed it taken to the lobby and she'd then get a cab.

The lobby? What lobby? It's a tiny vestibule. You go down 70 steps, move forward 5 feet, open a door, down 2 more steps and out the second door. There is no lobby. A lobby would mean space for seating, there is no such space.

I felt like telling her all these runs and paying for cabs would have been cheaper and faster if she'd hired a couple of guys with a van.

At any rate, I'm snarling back from the humidity laden Greenwich Village.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 08:30 pm
@Sturgis,
But think of the relief when she's gone.

I'm thinking you won't miss her.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 02:24 am
@Sturgis,
Eva, I prefer problems like this to other problems. But a poysin has to kvetch once in a while. This is the best I could do.

Sturgis, I've been in therapy to help me stop worrying, stewing, and getting pissed off all the time. It's working. Kvetches don't come to me like they used to. One of my few areas of brilliance fading to dust. (Now I'm trying to think of another area of brilliance. Bupkis so far.) C'est la vie. If you've got a good kvetch, let 'er rip, kid. Don't wait for me. Sigh.

Are you sure that the clippety clop person is moving? I wouldn't jump to conclusions. Maybe she's just getting rid of stuff. Who moves in a suitcase? I hope for your sake that she is moving--and fast. But I'm dubious. I'm also concerned about her replacement. Your building doesn't seem to attract run-of-the-mill types. Maybe you'll get some artsy fartsy type who throws a lot of parties and doesn't invite you.

I had an artsy fartsy neighbor once. She threw many parties. I wasn't invited, but my cat was. I didn't take it personal--much.

Hoping the staircase clomping is over soon.

Roberta

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 09:14 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

One of my few areas of brilliance fading to dust. (Now I'm trying to think of another area of brilliance. Bupkis so far.)

So I'm lying in bed last night trying to fall asleep before it's time to wake up. What am I thinking about? My areas of brilliance. I came up with areas of goodth, but not brilliance. Is this something for me to kvetch about? I'm cogitating.

After I stopped thinking about areas of brilliance I don't got, the brick workers began working on the bricks. No sleep for this kid.

Now I gotta go to my last session of therapy stewing about areas of brilliance and kvetching about brick people.

Hey, just came up with another area of brilliance. I'm a colossal pain in the ass. Mr. Green
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 05:00 pm
I've been experiencing pain in my right knee. Limping around. Tried unsuccessfuly to get an appointment with the doctor.

Now my left knee hurts. I had to take two Aleves to alleviate the pain enough so that I could go get some supplies.

Is this a way to live. Well, I guess it is if it's all you've got.

It looks like a fate worse than death awaits me. I'm gonna have to go to the walk-in clinic, except I'll be crawling.

Someone suggested on another thread that knee problems assaulted us when we started standing upright. I tell ya, this homo erectus business is for the birds.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 05:03 pm
@Roberta,
Yikes, that does deserve a kvetch.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 07:26 pm
@Roberta,
Sounds really terrible, Roberta.
I hope you don't have to crawl to the clinic (!). I wish I could help.
Fingers crossed all goes well & that there's relief from the pain very soon.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 12:14 am
Thanks to osso and olga for the sympathy.

Another kvetch:

The duct tape holding my slipppers together keeps peeling off. If you can't count on duct tape sticking, what can you count on?

After an exhaustive and exhausting search online, I found a pair of slippers that should meet my needs. I ordered the slippers yesterday. They had better:

1. Get here soon.
2. Fit.
3. Feel good.
4. Come with matching duct tape.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 03:47 am
@Roberta,
Sorry to hear about that knee trouble. Anything which interferes with walking is worry and kvetch worthy.

However that is nothing compared to the woes of duct tape. I am disgusted by modern duct tape. It doesn't have the same life span that it used to. A little heat or humidity and it starts going bad. The annoying part is it still requires a firm strong hand to pull a strip off and a steady hand to cut it. Hours later all that sticky seems to disappear. It's as if the air is filled with chemicals which intentionally dissolve the adhesives.

The same has happened with electrical tape. The good stuff is still out there to perform plumbing repairs (kept the bathroom sink drainpipe good for years); but, there's a load of inferior stuff as well. I find for both electrical and duct tape it's best to go by work sites and swipe what you need. (you can also get a better grade of nails and screws in those places) A slightly more honest method is to ask friends who work in the trades to get you the quality stuff.

Hopefully the slippers you ordered will be ideal, from color to fit to long lasting and will arrive quickly. They come with duct tape now? Fantastic!

I hope your day goes well in all aspects.
Roberta

Reply Thu 24 May, 2012 01:33 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

I ordered the slippers yesterday. They had better:

1. Get here soon. They got here.
2. Fit. They kinda fit.
3. Feel good. They hurt like hell.
4. Come with matching duct tape. No duct tape.

Now I have to figure out how to get to the PO to return them.

I dug around in the closet and found a pair of slippers held together with Scotch tape. They're holding together, but there's something sticking up out of the sole of one of them.

Back to the duct tape slippers and snarling.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 24 May, 2012 03:44 am
@Roberta,
I am convinced that your slippers were made by the same clown that made a pair of shoes I purchased via the mail in November of 2010.

They fit- if I took the insoles out.
Gave them a try, my feet were not having it. OUCH! (so much for 'the most comfortable shoe you'll ever wear').

Mine didn't have duct tape either and were made to kill, with some strange shiny plastic sole that slipped on everything.

You were lucky to get through it so fast. Mine took over 2 weeks to arrive.

Now about your old slippers, that something sticking up out of them, maybe that's the key to the mayor's townhouse.

Wishing you the best on returning the slippers and a better fit with the next pair and wishing I could offer you a solution towards this.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 24 May, 2012 05:00 am
@Sturgis,
How are your knees, Roberta?
Pain-free now, I hope.

Looking forward to the next slipper update. Smile
Good luck!
Roberta

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 11:08 am
@msolga,
Sturgis, Thanks for the good wishes. I removed the duct tape from the slippers and retaped key spots. Now my feet are sticking to the slippers. Life can be so complicated.

Olga, my knees are the same--not pain free.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 11:23 am
@Roberta,
oof! A new pair of slippers should fulfill the excitement of the anticipation of their arrival. Totally worthy of a kvetch if they didn't.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 12:08 pm
Senile. I'm becoming senile. A bit young for it, but I always was precocious.

Had an appointment with the asthma clinic today. Not feeling well. Decided to change the appointment. I call to reschedule and find out that my appointment isn't today. It's tomorrow.

Senile, I tell ya.

It's always something.
Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 12:52 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta- Did I ever tell you about the time that I went to a memorial service? I drove up to the church, and there were only a few cars. I thought to myself, "Boy, this guy wasn't very popular."

Inside the building, I discovered, to my embarrassment and dismay, that I was a week early!!! Embarrassed
Roberta

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 01:46 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix, I attribute part of that to your being Jewish. We're always in a hurry when it comes to dead people.
0 Replies