The Kvetch Thread

Ragman

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 07:06 pm
@Roberta,
Except the way the most such software works (at least the programs I've used) the alphabetical order is automatic. sounds like ti was done by hand and randomly..after it all was writtien..always a bad idea.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 05:47 am
@Lustig Andrei,
You're in the right place, Andy. Poor guy. Computerless. Been there. A nightmare.

I spent all day yesterday thinking it was Friday--until I turned on the TV. All the Thursday programs were on. Still, it was Friday for a long time.

Now I gotta have another Friday. One a week is plenty.

-------------------------------------

I was offered another editing job. Time was I could do five at a time. This new one would make three. I don't think I can do it. Too feeble-minded. I HATE turning down work. You know, they pay me for that stuff. HATE it. I didn't come out with a direct no. I fumfered. Is that how you spell fumfer? See, feeble-minded.

Maybe I should switch professions. I know for sure that most employers would love to have an aging, sickly, pain in the ass like me on the payroll.

JPB

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 09:00 am
dishwasher repair man is here. I had to agree to a $200 service fee upfront whether he fixes it or not. He said it's 10 years old and should be replaced. I said for $200 he can fix it.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 09:01 am
@Roberta,
Can you delay and put it in a queue?
Roberta

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 12:05 pm
@JPB,
JPB, You're damned right. For $200 he should not only fix it, but he should give it a nice cleaning too. BTW, I'm my dishwasher.

Not sure I understand the question about the queue. Do you mean work? Deadlines would make that impossible--if that's what you're referring to.
JPB

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 01:07 pm
@Roberta,
yeah, that's what I meant. Sorry you're having to turn down work.

My kvetch of the day is with trying to fill out health insurance applications for Mr B and the girls. He's had BCBS forever as part of his work-provided benefits. We're trying to apply for a private BCBS policy for them for when his COBRA runs out in Oct.

The application is horrendous. I called and asked if they couldn't simply look at their records for the medical histories. They've got a much better history of our medical past than I do, particularly when it comes to dates/dr info/details. "Oh, no -- just fill out what you can for the past five years for each of them."

This is nuts! WHY CAN'T YOU JUST LOOK IT UP!?!?!?!?!?
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 08:43 pm
I emailed this kvetch today from my phone... I needed to get it out! Name deleted....

(Annoying co-worker) is such a freak. Break time. Donuts r late. "Are we getting donuts? Where r the donuts?" over and over. And coffee. Then the donuts and coffee arrive. "Oh, i shouldn't have a donut" muttering and pacing. "I had almonds". She has a donut.
It's my break, i wish she would keep her donut anxiety to herself. It's disruptive to my break. As i eat my yummy yogurt, granola, strawberries and banana that i brought in from home.
Roberta

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 12:08 am
@caribou,
JPB, Sure they can look it up, but you work for free!

caribou, This is a kvetch once removed, right? Not yours? Annoying is annoying whethre it's yours or not. Glad I don't have to work with the donut nut. There are advantages to working at home.

0 Replies

caribou

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 03:18 pm
Oh no, that was my rant. I was at work, it happened, I needed to get it out, so I typed an email on my phone to my friend, and sent it. I just copied and pasted it here to share.

I work with freaks. It's going to be a long month or so. I'm grateful for my headphones.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 11:55 pm
I'm editing a book that is an editor's nightmare. It's vague. I have no doubt that the author knows this stuff, but communicating it is another matter. In addition to the vagueness and strange use of language, the author comes up with some doozy statements that make my eyeballs spin. Plus there are other problems. Single instead ot double quotation marks--ordinarily nbd, except there are hundreds of things that have quotations marks even if they're not quotes. Another sign of sloppy thinking: I'm in Chapter 2, and I've seen hundreds (not exaggerating) of etc's. Not only do I have to change most of them to "and so on," "and so forth," etc., but they are another sign of vagueness.

Some figures were deleted after the fact, so I have to renumber everything. And some of the tables aren't numbered and should be. So I have to renumber them as well.

When I'm working, I usually moan, snarl, and mutter dirty words. You can be sure that there are lots of oys. Last night I muttered, "Oy gevalt." Tonight was the biggie. I said to myself, "Oy Abruch."

Is this any way to make a living? Hey, I'm not even making a living.

Fie, feh, and phooey.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 12:12 am
@Roberta,
As a former newspaper editor who did a fair share of copy editing 'on the rim' as we used to say in the biz, my heart aches for you, 'Boita.
Roberta

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 12:16 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Thanks, Andy. I appreciate the sympathy.

I came back with a PS kvetch. Since my computer was reconfigured, I can't use the publisher's editing template, so I'm doing all the coding manually. Thud.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 12:21 am
@Roberta,
Abruch?

is that dirty?

Sorry to hear it, Boida.
Roberta

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 01:37 am
@dlowan,
Not a dirty word. I don't know many dirty words in Yiddish. I looked everywhere for a translation of oy abruch. Nada. I found other people asking about it.

The best that I can come up with is what I thought it meant. I could be right. I could be wrong. I think it means Oh God!

From my childhood perspective there were different levels of oy. Plain oy. Oy vey. Oy gevalt. And oy Abruch.
Roberta

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 07:08 am
@Roberta,
So I tried again to find oy abruch on google. Where was I directed? To the hebonics thread on a2k started by someone named Roberta. Not helpful, but definitely a small world moment.

I wish Phoenix was around. She'd probably know.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 07:22 am
@Roberta,
Roberta, that other Roberta is so everywhere! She should be careful of the fame and the subsequent backlash!

I hear that Phoenix KNOWS everything! She just holds back her knowledge from humanity because she can... oh and something to do with the Prime Directive.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 07:28 am
@Roberta,
Fame!
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2011 12:34 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

Not a dirty word. I don't know many dirty words in Yiddish. I looked everywhere for a translation of oy abruch. Nada. I found other people asking about it.

The best that I can come up with is what I thought it meant. I could be right. I could be wrong. I think it means Oh God! From my childhood perspective there were different levels of oy. Plain oy. Oy vey. Oy gevalt. And oy Abruch.

I think you might be right. I base this on the meaning of the opening words of the well-known prayer "Baruch adanoi. . ."
Roberta

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2011 02:46 am
New editing project. I'm working on the annual update of a book about taxes. One of life's little ironies.

Frankly I'm sick of life's little ironies. But I need the work.

Here are a few more. All this work all of a sudden will probably put me over some limit. I'll have to give back some of my social security, and I'll probably lose my Medicaid.

Hey LLIs, stuff it!
Ragman

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2011 02:58 am
@Lustig Andrei,
it means 'Oy, a Blessing'!