just another random thing

chai2

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 04:08 pm
I was looking up why 7th day adventists promote not eating meat, and read the following excerpt...

They promote vegetarianism heavily but it is not some requirement. It is a biblical requirement to obstain from what the Bible calls 'unclean' animals. I'm sure you've read the verses in Leviticus defining clean and unclean meats. This subject too, has much confusion. Many think it is for the Jews only - read the account of Noah's flood - there is the distinction of clean and unclean animals there. Noah took two of every unclean animal and he took by sevens of the clean (which were to be eaten ONLY because the vegetation had dried up.)There were no Jews in Noah's day.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 586 • Replies: 6
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 04:11 pm
@chai2,
I assume they were all Jews in Noah's day.

By the way, as we enter hurricane season, don't you think it appropriate that our Nation Oceanic and Atmospheric division is abbreviated NOA and pronounced Noah?
chai2

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 04:16 pm
@roger,
Yeah, that's exactly what I thought was so funny... Laughing

Last week, my boss, who's a really annoying southern baptist said, in front of a group of people "I saw the weirdest thing online the other day (she loves the word weird, meaning 'not like me') I saw an online dating website for Jews. That's weird."

I am soooo glad I wasn't the one that said "Well, there's christian dating websites"
To which she replied, quite seriously "Yeah, of course there are."

oy
roger

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 04:22 pm
@chai2,
I recall a discussion, rhat here, that mentioned Christians, Catholics, and Jews as three separate religions. Now, to me they all make exactly the same amount of sense, but I am always a bit taken aback when I hear reference to Christians and Catholics as separate religions.

I once asked someone if he were some kind of nut. He said "No. Southern Baptist". Honest.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 04:23 pm
@chai2,
gevalt..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 04:27 pm
@roger,
I chuckle when people don't see catholics as christians.

Chai, I largely admire you for dealing continuously with this particular boss. (I remember other stories).
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 04:31 pm
@roger,
lol re the Christians and Catholics.

The boss has an opinion on that as well. Wanna guess what it is?

My husbands mother was a Jehovah's Witness. He grew up in a town with just a few hundred people. His mother and some other woman were the only JW's.
He said "whenever people saw Clara (his mom) and Dolores walking down the street together, they knew not to come to the door."

He also said Clara's idea of being a JW was that they only had Christmas trees some years.

Knowing that he, nor any of his 10 brothers or sisters are religious, I asked him if his dad belonged to any religion.
He said, seriously "oh yeah, dad went to the Lodge."

Re catholics, he said there were a few in town, but "As long as they didn't take any of Our babies to sacrifice, they were pretty much left alone. Well, except for Clara who called them the Whore of Babylon."

I love listening to his stories about religion. It's like a hottentot telling you how a waffle iron works.
0 Replies