Is this the beginning of the end of Rupert Murdoch's media empire?

spendius

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 01:20 pm
@Sturgis,
The odd thing is that an accusation of perjury and treason by an ex Prime Minister under oath and in public has not resulted in the same sort of rush to judgement as happened when a hotel maid of dubious reputation accused the head of the IMF of illegal acts when not under oath or in public. Or a similar frenzy concerning some disreputable rumpy-pumpy in Sweden.

It must be the sex.

Bernard Shaw said that if women got the vote we would all end up talking about ovaries.

spendius

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 01:23 pm
@spendius,
I watched both hearings today. Mr Osborne was very self-assured and Mr Brown was breathing fire in that understated way one expects of an ex-Prime Minister and staunch ally of the USA.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 02:08 pm
@spendius,
Well, the media's interest today was more on Cameron's forgotten child (in a pub) ... taking the limelight away from Gordon Brown's evidence ...
spendius

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 02:46 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Only for those who allow it to Walt.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 03:02 pm
@spendius,
What did you forget in the pub, spendi?
McTag

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 11:59 pm
@Walter Hinteler,

A very hard-hitting, very critical of the Conservative's dealings with the Murdoch press, programme in Despatches (Channel 4) last night.

Gordon Brown is not a major player in the Leveson saga. He only wanted to complain about Rebekah Brooks. He called Rupert M a liar, though, under oath. That's not insignificant.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 01:23 am
@McTag,
The problem with Brown is that he denied briefing against Blair, and being highly concerned with the media in general. We know that's not true, so why should he be believed about Murdoch?
McTag

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 02:18 am
@izzythepush,

Apart from, he's a "son of the manse", and he swore on the Bible?

Unless he's learned from Blair to be able to convince himself of anything. But I don't think so. I'm with big Gordy on this one.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 02:42 am
@McTag,
Emotionally I'm with Gordon, but he's not helped himself. I doubt public opinion will swing behind him.
msolga

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 03:46 am
@izzythepush,
This is how the (Oz) ABC News presented this story today:

Quote:
Gordon Brown brands Murdoch a liar at Leveson
By Europe correspondent Lisa Millar, wires

Updated June 12, 2012 11:24:59

Video: Brown fronts UK media inquiry (Lateline)
Related Story: British minister sent 'congrats' texts to Murdoch
Related Story: Blair chose not to fight Murdoch press
Related Story: Cameron 'picked pro-Murdoch minister' for BSkyB deal
Related Story:
Brooks discussed phone hacking with British PM
Map: United Kingdom

Former British prime minister Gordon Brown has accused Rupert Murdoch of misleading the Leveson inquiry into media ethics over a disputed phone call between the two men.

When Mr Murdoch appeared before the inquiry he detailed a heated phone call he had with Mr Brown when The Sun switched its political allegiance to the Tories.

Mr Murdoch said the then-prime minister had threatened to go to war with News International before slamming the phone down.
Audio: Listen to Lisa Millar's report (AM)

But Mr Brown, who was the Labour prime minister from 2007 to 2010, has given a categorical denial that the phone call occurred, telling the inquiry: "This did not happen".

"I'm surprised first of all that there's a story that I slammed the phone down and secondly there's now a story from Mr Murdoch himself that I threatened him," he said.

"This did not happen. I have to say to you that there's no evidence that it happened, beyond Mr Murdoch's."

Overnight, a spokeswoman for Mr Murdoch confirmed he stood by his recollection of the phone call.

Mr Brown denied suggestions his relationship with Mr Murdoch was too close.

"The idea that I was influenced in what I did by Mr Murdoch's views is faintly ridiculous," he said.

"He probably would have had us at war with France and Germany, he would probably have had us as the 51st state of America, so the idea that I went along with Mr Murdoch's views is quite ridiculous.

The idea that I was influenced in what I did by Mr Murdoch's views is faintly ridiculous
~ Former British PM Gordon Brown

"Mr Murdoch has very strong views.

"He's entitled to these views.

"But the idea that I was following those views is just absolute nonsense. ....<cont>

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-06-12/gordon-brown-accuses-murdoch-of-lying/4065008
spendius

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 04:24 am
@izzythepush,
That front page splashing a "scoop" concerning a four month old infant betrays a whole raft of evil thinking and need. Malicious, and in pursuit of a commercial interest. Getting the story is bad enough. Thinking of printing it is disgusting. Actually doing so is beyond the pale of decency.

Nothing anybody says who has done those things is worth attending to.
msolga

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 04:38 am
@spendius,
I'm a little bit taken aback at your outrage on behalf of the Camerons, spendius.

I'm sure they'll get by.

This is nothing compared to the very real pain Milly Dowler's parents suffered at the hands of the News of the World.

spendius

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 06:09 am
@msolga,
I wasn't referring to the Camerons Olga. I was referring to the four month old child of the Browns.

The Cameron story was simply ridiculous.

We are all very well aware of the plight of the Dowler family which is the cause of the Leveson Enquiry.

spendius

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 06:13 am
@spendius,
I cannot imagine the mindsets of those who voted my post down. They are alien territory to me.
msolga

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 06:13 am
@spendius,
Apologies for misunderstanding, spendius.
I've been working today & haven't followed the latest news at all.

Yes, I know what the Leveson Inquiry is about.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 06:18 am
@spendius,
Someone has voted down a few other posts here, not just yours.
I somehow doubt it has anything much to do with responses to the thread subject ... someone just felt like doing it, for whatever reason.
Don't let it worry you.
McTag

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 07:14 am
@msolga,

Quote:
Gordon Brown brands Murdoch a liar at Leveson

Today John Major did the same.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 07:15 am
@spendius,

Quote:
which is the cause of the Leveson Enquiry.

The trigger? The last straw?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 09:24 am
@msolga,
Quote:
Don't let it worry you.

I don't let it worry me. Never have. Never will do.

I just felt like letting them know my contempt.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 02:27 am
From today's Guardian:

Quote:
Rupert Murdoch pressured Tony Blair over Iraq, says Alastair Campbell
Nicholas Watt, chief political correspondent
Guardian.co.uk, Friday 15 June 2012 19.30 BST

Murdoch joined an 'over-crude' attempt by US Republicans to accelerate British involvement in the Iraq war, Campbell says

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2012/6/15/1339781329646/Rupert-Murdoch-and-Tony-B-008.jpg
Rupert Murdoch previously told the Leveson inquiry: 'I've never asked a prime minister for anything.' Photograph: Mike Theiler/EPA

Rupert Murdoch joined in an "over-crude" attempt by US Republicans to force Tony Blair to accelerate British involvement in the Iraq war a week before a crucial House of Commons vote in 2003, according to the final volumes of Alastair Campbell's government diaries.

In another blow to the media mogul, who told the Leveson inquiry that he had never tried to influence any prime minister, Campbell's diary says Murdoch warned Blair in a phone call of the dangers of a delay in Iraq. The disclosure by Campbell, whose diaries are serialised in the Guardian, will pile the pressure on Murdoch in light of his evidence to the Leveson inquiry.

The Cabinet Office released information on Friday that raised doubts about Murdoch's claim that Gordon Brown pledged to "declare war" on News Corporation after the Sun abandoned its support for Labour in September 2009. It supported Brown's claim that he never made such a threat by saying that the only phone call between the two men during the period took place on 10 November 2009 and focused on Afghanistan.

Murdoch tweeted in response: "I stand by every word is aid [sic] at Leveson." But there will be fresh questions about one of Murdoch's most memorable declarations from his appearance before the inquiry in April. The founder of News Corporation said: "I've never asked a prime minister for anything."

Campbell wrote that on 11 March 2003, a week before the Commons vote in which MPs voted to deploy British troops to Iraq, Murdoch intervened to try to persuade Blair to move more quickly towards war. "[Tony Blair] took a call from Murdoch who was pressing on timings, saying how News International would support us, etc," Campbell wrote. "Both TB and I felt it was prompted by Washington, and another example of their over-crude diplomacy. Murdoch was pushing all the Republican buttons, how the longer we waited the harder it got." The following day, 12 March, he wrote: "TB felt the Murdoch call was odd, not very clever."...<cont>

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/jun/15/rupert-murdoch-tony-blair-iraq-alastair-campbell
0 Replies