What Is Real Faith?

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 06:07 am
HAVING real faith is more than just believing that God exists. There are millions of people who believe in God yet deliberately do wicked deeds. Such “faith” is like counterfeit money. It looks real but is actually worthless. What, then, is real faith?
Real faith is based on accurate knowledge of the Holy Scriptures. These inspired writings tell us the truth about God and enable us to get to know him. They reveal his laws, purposes, and teachings. These teachings include:
• God is one. He has no equal.
• Jesus is not Almighty God. He is God’s prophet.
• God condemns idolatry in all its forms.
• Humans face a coming day of judgment.
• Countless dead humans will be resurrected to Paradise

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 06:13 am
Your exposition is fallacious. Having what you call "real faith" is no guarantee that people will live up to an arbitrary standard of behavior which you haven't even bothered to elucidate. For example, i may believe that it is best to be civil to everyone i encounterr on the street--but if importuned by a drunken panhandler, i may lose my patience and drive him off. That does not alter that i believe that i should be civil to everyone i encounter on the street.

Why is coherence so rare among the religiously fanatical?

(That was a rhetorical question, you don't have to answer.)

Are you a Muslim?
0 Replies

Chights47

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 12:27 pm
@TeddyCSinc,
Faith is just replacing what's deemed rational with the irrational to protect something that you think you know. This may help put in perspective: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWSOxpOJxAE
0 Replies

melonkali

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 11:43 pm
@TeddyCSinc,
TeddyCSinc wrote:

HAVING real faith is more than just believing that God exists. There are millions of people who believe in God yet deliberately do wicked deeds. Such “faith” is like counterfeit money. It looks real but is actually worthless. What, then, is real faith?
Real faith is based on accurate knowledge of the Holy Scriptures. These inspired writings tell us the truth about God and enable us to get to know him. They reveal his laws, purposes, and teachings. These teachings include:
• God is one. He has no equal.
• Jesus is not Almighty God. He is God’s prophet.
• God condemns idolatry in all its forms.
• Humans face a coming day of judgment.
• Countless dead humans will be resurrected to Paradise

You say that faith is based on accurate knowledge of the Holy Scriptures, by which I assume (judging from your post) you mean the Quran? But what forms the basis of your faith in these particular writings above all others? Is your faith based on being told by others that these are the word of God, or have you studied various religious/spiritual teachings and concluded that this is the true path, or have you had a subjective revelatory or spiritual experience yourself which draws you to these writings? Why do you believe in this path? rebecca
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2011 12:14 am
@TeddyCSinc,
Faith isn't something you get from a book.
You can go about believing any one of hundreds of religious writings and have absolutely no faith.
People who go around spouting off about what's written in this book, and on that paper, generally haven't the slightest idea what it means to have faith.

Faith comes when you quit trying to define God, and begin to learn how to live each day trusting in God's care.
God is in heaven ( for lack of a better word ) and you are on earth.
Start living God's will for you, and stop telling everyone else what you think God's will is for them.
Chights47

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2011 11:23 am
@wayne,
It's a terrible thing that there is a limit of one thumbs up per person.
0 Replies