Pink Floyd / Roger Waters / David Gilmour

NettieK

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 07:25 am
I love Pink Floyd, be it Roger or Daves style I don't care.

I started this thread as my hubby and I have just purchased tickets to Roger Waters - The Wall concert to be held here in Oz in February 2012.
We went to Roger Waters Dark Side of The Moon a few years back and were completely entranced through the whole show. I would love to see David Gilmour in concert too, don't know if he is planning a tour down under. Too much to even imagine them getting together again for a tour. (Pigs might Fly).

I was introduced to Pink Floyd way back in my early teens by a special friend and also by my now very special husband. First album I heard was Animals back then and I think I now have every album. hehe, I still remember borrowing an old vinyl version of Ummagumma off someone which was actually covered in thick dust, cleaned it up and got a reasonable taped copy. Oh the reminiscing I could do. Even back to the Syd Barrett days I love it all.

So be it Daves Pink Floyd or Rogers Pink Floyd it does not matter, their music is timeless and oh so individual.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,353 • Replies: 7

djjd62

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 07:49 am
@NettieK,
i was a big fan in my teens and early 20's, saw Pink Floyd minus Waters for the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour, one of the best sounding outdoor concerts i've ever attended

stood outside the loading dock for the old Maple Leaf Gardens and heard the entire Roger Waters, Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking concert

in high school we went to see a series of odd films, lots of art stuff and experimental things, but one was pretty cool it was some film of Floyd from the late 60's, it was basically the first disc from Ummagumma shot in Amsterdam if i remember, crazy psychedelics and a great set list

Astronomy Domine, Careful with That Axe, Eugene*, Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun, A Saucerful of Secrets (Something Else, Syncopated Pandemonium, Storm Signal, Celestial Voices)

* the film actually ended with this tune, a crazy frenzy of screaming and Waters holding his bass by the neck, letting it drop in a standing position to the stage catching by the neck again as it bounced up and letting drop again, over and over until the strings broke and the neck finally splintered
djjd62

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 08:03 am
@djjd62,
my top 5 albums
1. Ummagumma
2. Shine On You Crazy Diamond
3. The Final Cut
4. Dark Side of the Moon
5. The Wall (specifically the film soundtrack, i had a german bootleg some years back)
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 08:40 am
@djjd62,

never get tired of listening to Animals...

edit
in it's entirety!

djjd62

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 08:42 am
@Region Philbis,
yes, a very underrated album in my opinion, would probably be 6th on my list

of course it could move to 5th, if you look at The Final Cut as Roger Waters first solo album, rather than the last (full band anyway) Pink Floyd album (i could never get behind the albums made after waters left the band)
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 09:45 am
Listening to Animals now:

100% agree with you guys. especially with the part about the band's creativity etc. after Roger Waters left.

To a similar degree, it's like what happened to Little Feat after Lowell George died. Good sounding group but missing the soul and spark.

Now where's my King Krimson album...?
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 11:53 am
@djjd62,
I do enjoy Pink Floyd. That's even what I named my cat 16 years ago (The old girl's still around too).

Let's see, top five...
1) Meddle
2) Shine On
3) Dark Side
4) The Wall (Good call on the soundtrack)
5) Saucer Full of Secrets
This could all change though as I don't own-and thus haven't heard in a long time-Ummagumma, Animals or Final Cut.
0 Replies

NettieK

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 02:54 am
@Region Philbis,
Thanks for that. Am having a fix right now. Now matter how much I love other music, I never get sick of listening to Pink Floyd, and is always on my playlist.
0 Replies