emotion: humanities friend of foe?

JLNobody

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 10:42 pm
@vikorr,
I'm not at all sure of the differences and relations between feelings and emotions. I do, however, tend to think (right now as a working hypothesis) of feelings as body sensations which are given meaning when developed into language/idea-grounded emotions. When I feel fear it is usually in the form of butterflies in the stomach area and anger is usually felt as a burning sensation in my nose area (almost like the sensation caused by wasabi). Sometimes I cannot know precisely what I am emoting but I can usually tell what my body is feeling. Identifying its emotional correlate is another matter. Am I wrong to conclude that feelings are usually conscious or preconscious while emotions are predominantly (but not always) subconscious in nature?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 12:35 am
@JLNobody,
JLN

I think we need to discriminate between "detached passivity" and " concerned passivity". The first is a-temporal and transcends the logicality of "IF-THEN". The second is not and therefore comes under the logicality banner.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 03:42 pm
@alberto knox,
To me, emotions are mainly (but not exclusively) what life is about. They are the foundation for my social and artistic existence--what else is there but the purely animalic dimension? Logic has a purely organizing function: logic is more like anatomy; emotion is more like physiology. In the morgue we see anatomies but no physiologies.
hamilton

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 05:26 pm
@JLNobody,
unless they died with a smile on their face! Smile
0 Replies