Segway Human Transporter- Be the First on Your Block

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 06:33 pm
Last year, remember the hullaballu about the secret invention that would revolutionize the way that we travel? Well, it's here. For a bit less than $5,000- you can be the first on your block to have one. Not for Christmas- they are not debuting until March 2003:

Link to Segway Human Transporter

Is this something that you would want to get? Would you spend 5,000 bucks on it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,324 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 06:44 pm
If you want it, here it is
Come and get it . . .
Oo-oo-oo-oo, make your mind up fast
If you want, any time, i can get it
But ya better hurry 'cause it may not last
Did i hear you say that there must be a catch
Will you walk away from a fool and his money . . .
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 06:44 pm
I like the idea of the whole product, and I like the geeky commercial in geeky way, but let's get real, $5000? Git outta here!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 06:50 pm
But cars are up to $25,000 for the cheap models now! Beam me up Scotty!

My arthritis is acting up more today, and I need to get my exercise.

:wink: Smile Very Happy Laughing Razz
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 06:53 pm
I can just see people riding on one of those things in midtown Manhattan traffic! Laughing
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 07:31 pm
I think they'd be fun, but not for $5k
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 08:16 pm
Well... I've measured the fender. Does that count?

Setenta: Great answer.
0 Replies

Smitty

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 08:36 pm
No way, not for this human that feels he is still sensible. Can one just imagine a number of those things bumping into each other with novices on them, or drunks or plainly 'get out of my way' people? It would probably be a scream to see them in some shopping mall all sort of bobbing around -- at least I would get a good laugh, but trust my feet & if a bit longer then my bicycle or even longer yet then my m/c or cage.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 08:48 pm
I'd love to have one, but I am NOT paying 5 grand for one.

Special order at MSRP (don't even think about negotiating the price) for next spring, only through Amazon.com, as Phoe's link indicates.

Pass for now.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 06:45 pm
oh, phooey....
I can see how it could be cute and interesting and fun and all but, I really have no great need and/or use for one so
no...I would not spend 5K on it, and you know, I problably would take one if someone gave it to me only to turn around and sell it
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 01:40 pm
Yikes, I will wait until I have so much money I do not know what to do with it, then I might get one.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 01:51 pm
Thanks but no thanks. I'm not looking for a replacement for walking (what a silly ad.) Walking with my dogs is a real joy for all of us. That would not make any of us happier or healthier. I'll take the $5000 for a deposit on a new car, and a couple of pairs of new shoes, and maybe new flexies for the dogs. but, a replacement for walking? never.
0 Replies

zebraman17

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 03:46 pm
No offense but i'd be glas to have a replacement for walking, just not one that costs me more then a new computer.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 04:00 pm
All right, I've seen a couple of yuppies riding these things around now -- and I know, Phoenix, that people are allowed to do what they want with their money -- but COME ON, PEOPLE! Seeing the things in action, I don't see how they're any more functional that a twenty dollar second-hand bike, and the bike won't run out of juice unless your legs do.

Gadzooks.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 05:33 pm
patiodog- "Different strokes for different folks"- I wouldn't buy one either (I have better ways to spend my money), but I certainly don't begrudge people who do.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 05:35 pm
Sorry, Phoen -- just that I've got major gripes with our runaway, throwaway, consumption-glorifying, novelty-addicted culture (as here I sit, typing on a 'puter to people what I don't know)...

Sleep and food are in the future.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 05:44 pm
patiodog- I can understand how you feel. I can see over the years the difference in how people treat "things". When was the last time you:

Went to the shoemaker and had your shoes resoled?

Darned a hole in your socks?

Had a small appliance repaired?

I think that we have become a throwaway society, but the roots of this are very deep, and complex. I also think that it would make a great thread. Maybe when you are fed and rested.................
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 05:48 pm
XTREME SEGWAY, SEGWAY FRISBEE TOURNAMENTS, SEGWAY CLIMBING,SUS (SPORT UTILITY SEGWAYS),. GOLF IS ALREADY SUCH A PUSSY SPORT, WHY NOT HAVE ALL GOLFERS ON SEGWAYS.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 05:48 pm
Actually, I do have a cobbler, but I haven't seen him in a while, and that was to pick up the gf's sandals. The other items, though......
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 05:49 pm
YOU HAVE A LOT OF ENERGY TODAY DON'T YOU FARMERMAN ?

(now if i could bring myself to but that winky face on here)
0 Replies