Neighborhood Tactical Superiority

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 03:44 am
The concept of Neighborhood Nuclear Superiority is outmoded at this point; the gardenhose tatical nuke for sure would get rid of the neighbor's pit bull but the unintended consequences factor would be unsuited for the new century:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyPwJrPQO3g

Nuclear weaponry is essentially outmoded at this point in time, both for our military and for resolving neighborhood disputes. We have lived into an age in which the most major weapon of war is a variant of the radio-controlled toy airplane. As in the case of the guy with the garden-hose adapter for the small tactical nuke in the old Lampoon commercial, the question arises as to how close an ordinary citizen could come to putting together his own predator drone, and what would that cost?

For starters, the airplane would be well under two hundred dollars:

http://www.nitroplanes.com/uav.html

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-17210252890263_2163_6619736

with possibly another hundred fifty for radio gear, basically four or five simple servos, a receiver, a transmitter, and a motor controller. That stuff is all made in the Pacific rim now with costs a fraction of what they once were.

RC as a hobby turned some sort of a gigantic corner within the last six or seven years. Aircraft are now generally of EPO foam and not balsa wood, motors are LIPO powered electric and work without any of the grief of the old 2-strokes, and even the radios work now. Locking is via GUIDS and data packet xmission and not via channels.

Flying by sight would never produce the control you'd want for whacking the neighbor's pit bull of course, you'd need to see what the airplane sees and somehow get into the toy airplane itself. Check this out:

http://www.indoordomecamera.net/fpv-night-flying-rc-plane-night-vision-camera-real-time-flying-ez-glider

FPV stands for First Person View. You'd need a ham license for the fpv unit of course but that's become much simpler than it once was and cost is pretty far from being prohibitive.

The only real limit in this entire picture is human imagination.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,508 • Replies: 9
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 04:26 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

The only real limit in this entire picture is human imagination.

That, and the cost of the missiles.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 04:35 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:
Nuclear weaponry is essentially outmoded at this point in time, both for our military and for resolving neighborhood disputes.
Try living in my neighbourhood before you say that, gringo...

Quote:
You'd need a ham license
Rubbish, I have ham in my fridge right now... or do you mean a hamster licence ?
gungasnake

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 08:39 am
@Ionus,
Ham radio license, same as you'd need for short wave radios which, in the age of Skype and cellphones have nearly become a lost art...
roger

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 02:32 pm
@gungasnake,
I think they dropped the test on Morse Code years ago, if that helps launch your drone.
gungasnake

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 02:48 pm
@roger,
I don't own anything like that or have any near term needs or plans for such, just a sort of an interesting thought.

Again however RC as a hobby seems to have totally turned the corner in the last five or six years or whatever as I noted i.e. it's not just spend two weeks building something like that and then watch the garbage radios send it off to China or the top of some giant oak tree like it was years ago.

Something I'd recommend to the masses:

http://www.bananahobby.com/1937.html

Get the brushless motor option.....
roger

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 03:01 pm
@gungasnake,
I used to work with a guy who was big on rc models. They are building jet aircraft that tended to run to about 5' or so long, and they used real turbojet engines - not the old pulse jets which were much cheaper. In fact, he assembled the things for others for profit. They also use radial engines, which is quite a step up from the conventional single cylinder setups that were cowled to look something like a radial.

Sometimes I think some people have too much time and money than they need.
gungasnake

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 03:14 pm
@roger,
Virtually all recent models of jet aircraft use ducted fans. Funny thing, a ducted fan is significantly more efficient than a propeller and the reason for that is not obvious. A propeller blade has a sweet spot like a tennis racket or baseball bat and the main push is from that sweet spot while a ducted fan is basically all sweet spot. They've (as I hear it) tried putting ducted fans on the wings of aircraft where prop nacelles might go and the wings couldn't hold them, too much power.
roger

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 04:27 pm
@gungasnake,
They are genuine turbojet engines. Turbines driving compressors, and the whole bit.
gungasnake

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 07:52 pm
@roger,
They HAVE those, but they're REALLY expensive, and pretty rare. Yves Rossi is using four such on that wing of his.
0 Replies