WTH? Is that REALLY Weird Al?

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 09:54 am

Is that really Weird Al's body doing the dancing and those contortions or is it some kind of computer trickery?

Damn!

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 10:57 am
Weird Al is one of a kind . . . i can't answer your questions, but i wouldn't be suprised if he were doing his own dancing . . .
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 11:05 am
It's his head, but not his body.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 11:20 am
@boomerang,
Well, all I can say is he sure has her pegged. She is one "out there" performer. I think it's his face and someone else doing the dancing.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 11:28 am
I have no idea whether it's really him or not. I veer towards not but he's an interesting and capable person.

I don't know if any of you are following Kirby Ferguson's series "Everything is a Remix" but part 3 just came out. It's about creativity. I think what he's saying is very much about people like Weird Al. (Part 3, for those interested: http://www.everythingisaremix.info/everything-is-a-remix-part-3/)
Irishk

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 11:47 am
Amazing what can be done with CGI these days.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 12:46 pm
@boomerang,
"Everything's a remix?" Sounds like something that Pete Seger once said: "As my father used to say in his musicological way, 'Plagiarism is basic to all culture.'"
boomerang

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 01:17 pm
@Setanta,
That's almost exactly what the videos are about! I suppose he practices what he preaches.

He's saying that all great ideas come from copying, transforming and combining the ideas of others. It's a nice little series. You should watch it.

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 01:44 pm
@boomerang,
I'll try to remember to check them out later. One of the operative conditions here is that young people, being largely ignorant, "discover" ideas which they think they are the first to stumble upon, not realizing that almost all ideas not specific to technology have been investigated by each generation for thousands of years.

When i was very young, and learning caligraphy, i "invented" an alphabet. It was similar to the "balloon alphabet." Also known as bubble letters, variations on this theme are common among graffitti "artists."

http://graffiti-alphabet-letters.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Cute-Bubble-Letters-Graffiti-Fonts-21.jpg

http://graffiti-alphabet-letters.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Cute-Bubble-Letters-Graffiti-Fonts1.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GtfmuN_f0_k/TAS23t7QujI/AAAAAAAAGfw/yHhNK4r2Pgs/s1600/alphabet%25252Bbubble%25252Bletters.jpg

Over the last 40 years and more, i've noticed how prevalent this style of lettering is among graffitti "artists." I suspect that each generation of taggers believes that they have invented it.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 02:05 pm
There was a story out a few weeks ago that Gaga's people had refused permission, but that Gaga herself over ruled them, claiming that the idea had never been bought to her, and with her claiming that she loves the parody. Supposedly someone she talked to asked her why she had refused, and she went to her people asking what the deal was, and they gave her a copy of the bit.
boomerang

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 02:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
That's interesting!

I was actually using this video to explain the idea of parody to Mo -- how in it's own way it can be kind of flattering even though they're making fun of someone; that a person has to reach a certain level of "fame" before anyone thinks of doing a parody of them.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 07:23 pm
@boomerang,
Looking at the video there's something strange about the body and the head. I suspect they CGI'd his head onto a female dancer's body and the female body belongs to a professional dancer.

There seems to be some minor minor blurring around the head area that suggests this is the case. You have to look hard to see the possible discrepancies but I believe they're there.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 12:07 pm
Weird Al is at it again. I particularly like this one:

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 12:15 pm
@boomerang,
I really really love ...

Tacky!
0 Replies