8
   

White Guy Feels the Need to Blog as a Homosexual Female in Order to get heard

 
 
George
 
  1  
Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 02:01 pm
@engineer,
Right on the mark.
0 Replies
 
hawkeye10
 
  0  
Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 02:19 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
but it's not because no one listens to white guys, it is because white guys with opinions are a dime a dozen.
You are a decade or so behind the times with your allegation that white guys have the floor in societal conversation, I said from the start that my opinion is the white guys are oppressed on the floor, that the alleged oppressed groups (everybody except hetro white guys) are given priority now, on the rationale that they need a boost. If you dont believe me then go toe to toe with anybody but another hetro white guy in a crowd and then tell me which side most of the crowd ends up on.
George
 
  1  
Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 07:44 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
. . . I said from the start that my opinion is the white guys are oppressed on the
floor, that the alleged oppressed groups (everybody except hetro white guys) are
given priority now, on the rationale that they need a boost. . .

Is that true of A2K?
hawkeye10
 
  1  
Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 07:51 pm
@George,
Quote:
Is that true of A2K?
No, in fact A2K is getting even more white guy centered as the non Americans and women continue to depart, a process that started I think when the new A2K came online. However, you will also recall that I have said at several points that A2K is a very unusual place.
George
 
  1  
Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 07:54 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
. . . However, you will also recall that I have said at several points that A2K is a
very unusual place.

Well, I gotta grant you that.
0 Replies
 
hawkeye10
 
  1  
Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 09:40 pm
Quote:
The fake existence of Amina Arraf was offensive to bloggers — and to Syrians, and to women, and to lesbians and gays, and to anyone else who has ever been truly marginalized. How irritating that so much attention was given to something ultimately written by a straight American man. And how poignant that a member of one of the most privileged classes in the world felt that the only way he could have a voice was to pretend to be a member of a class that has been disenfranchised in every possible way.

“He’s stealing the voice of a marginalized person,” says Liz Henry, a Web producer at BlogHer who had recommended some of Amina’s posts.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/a-gay-girl-in-damascus-displays-ease-of-fudging-authenticity-online/2011/06/13/AGxBWkTH_story_1.html

The logic not working should be a clue that something is wrong, in these case the one who is believed to be marginalized is actually the one who is promoted, and the one who is believed to be privileged is actually the one who is marginalized. Do that and then it all makes sense. The part written in red is actually the brain fart truth, which our ideology can not allow to be true even though it is, in this case said on accident.
0 Replies
 
hawkeye10
 
  1  
Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2011 08:15 pm
Quote:
By going lesbian, MacMaster and Graber capitalize twice: first on the oppressed class of women and then on the minority status of lesbians. As the more-ambitious fabulist, MacMaster expands his con to include ethnicity and faith by making Amina a half-Syrian Muslim. I'm sure that had he continued his ruse, MacMaster would have eventually put Amina in a wheelchair, sent her to a 12-step program, and hospitalized her for anorexia.

The premise of the two blogs is this: If you possess a rare political or social identity, the world will find your social-political observations keener and more worthy. The downside of the premise is that when it comes to issues that don't buffet your identity—like war and taxes and zoning—the world doesn't want to hear from you at all. MacMaster and Graber knew that if they commented from the ghetto they'd be credible, which should give us all pause.

http://www.slate.com/id/2296930/pagenum/2

Exactly, in other words it is just another hetro white boy talking then the observations and opinions are not worthy of serious consideration, as I have been saying.
Arella Mae
 
  1  
Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 07:26 am
@hawkeye10,
Why do you refuse to accept that some may be up in arms about this because the GUY LIED?
engineer
 
  2  
Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 09:01 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
If you dont believe me then go toe to toe with anybody but another hetro white guy in a crowd and then tell me which side most of the crowd ends up on.

Just look around. Fox news is dominated by white guys. But at liberal MSNBC ... oh wait, white guys. But certainly the main stream media ... oh wait, white guys there to. How about the NY times editorial page? Mostly white guys. The large majority of opinion makers in this country are white guys. I don't see how you see otherwise when the evidence is all around.
Renaldo Dubois
 
  1  
Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 09:47 am
The idiots at CNN were slurping this up like gravy.........but Fox News makes stuff up. Funny.
0 Replies
 
engineer
 
  2  
Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 11:21 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

Why do you refuse to accept that some may be up in arms about this because the GUY LIED?

I think that is what is really driving coverage of this story. There are several ways to get "credibility" for your views. You can be an authority figure (say deputy Secretary of State), you can be an expert (chair at Harvard for Middle Eastern affairs), you can sell it on just charisma or personality (Palin, Beck), you can work hard over several years to establish yourself or you can have "street cred" because you live it. This guy couldn't get the first three leaving him with years of hard work or making up a story that he is an oppressed Syrian woman. He took the shortcut and made a false claim of credibility. The gender/sexual politics angle seems like a long stretch. Very few average Americans of either gender or sexual orientation are going to get a lot of attention for their views on Syria simply because no one is going to assume they have any credibility so this guy cheated.
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  2  
Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 11:28 am
This is hilarious. Chicken Little here thinks nobody listens to him because he's a white guy. I'm laughin' my ass off.

Hey . . . Chicken Little . . . nobody listens to you because you packed full of ****.
0 Replies
 
hawkeye10
 
  1  
Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 11:59 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

Why do you refuse to accept that some may be up in arms about this because the GUY LIED?
I have said little about that, as my interest is in why he choose to a lesbian online persona. I do think that people feel jilted but I also think that people tend to have a great deal of trouble judging the meaning of things in life because people are poorly educated and this tendency to unreasonably assume that online persona's are true depictions of actual people is part of that. I think that people dont like events like this which rub into their face that they have been idiots. This angle of the reaction to confronting the deception is interesting I agree, but it is not really the part of this story that interests me.
Renaldo Dubois
 
  0  
Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 12:01 pm
The part I like about the story is that the same people who watch CNN tell us that Fox News makes up things.
hawkeye10
 
  1  
Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 12:30 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Quote:
If you dont believe me then go toe to toe with anybody but another hetro white guy in a crowd and then tell me which side most of the crowd ends up on.

Just look around. Fox news is dominated by white guys. But at liberal MSNBC ... oh wait, white guys. But certainly the main stream media ... oh wait, white guys there to. How about the NY times editorial page? Mostly white guys. The large majority of opinion makers in this country are white guys. I don't see how you see otherwise when the evidence is all around.


Wow, you have really been showing of late that I have overvalued your ability to perceive the truth. Here you are talking like an old white guy who is unaware of what is going on in the rest of society. If you listen to the younger Americans, and pay attention to who they are listening to, you would be aware as I am of the increasing tendency to devalue what white guys are saying. There is a whole vast population that does not pay attention to major media, where while it is slipping the white guys are still overpopulated....these younger people are online watching webcasts/viewing blogs/heading to amateur journalism sites , and this MTV generation expects to hear from a wide variation of types. I you want to reach out to the young people, the part of our population that is most ready and willing to force change, you dont try to communicate with them with a white guy for a mouth piece and put him on MSNBC. You get somebody else and put them online.

What we are looking at is the inevitable next step to the university systematically ignoring dead white guys as they seek out other historical individuals to pay attention to. It is the playing to the expectations created by two decades of programs to make sure that each group of people has the right number of women/blacks/gays/blah blah blah. Any media with too many white guys is suspect to the young, it is jarring to their sensibilities, and they will tend to tune out. If you are a white guy and want to get heard you might seriously consider improving your position by pretending to be somebody else, say a lesbian.
hawkeye10
 
  1  
Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 12:33 pm
@Renaldo Dubois,
Renaldo Dubois wrote:

The part I like about the story is that the same people who watch CNN tell us that Fox News makes up things.
CNN did the exact same thing by constantly over weeks promoting the Libyan alleged rape victim, it was relentless marketing of her. The story had very little journalistic value, it was almost exclusively a CNN branding effort.
Renaldo Dubois
 
  -1  
Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 12:35 pm
@hawkeye10,
That's right. And the left ate it and swallowed it. The next thing they did was go on forums like this one and tell righties that Fox news lies.
hawkeye10
 
  0  
Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 12:48 pm
@Renaldo Dubois,
Renaldo Dubois wrote:

That's right. And the left ate it and swallowed it. The next thing they did was go on forums like this one and tell righties that Fox news lies.
This is not a left/right thing, this is the problem of all Americans tend to be poorly educated and stupid in spite of the fact that they have been constantly encouraged to indulge in their fantasy that they are the best and the brightest that humanity has ever produced.
Renaldo Dubois
 
  -2  
Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 01:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
I disagree. The same peolple who fall for this crap are the same people who supported and still support Obama. That would be CNN. Not FOX.
hawkeye10
 
  1  
Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 01:21 pm
@Renaldo Dubois,
Renaldo Dubois wrote:

I disagree. The same peolple who fall for this crap are the same people who supported and still support Obama. That would be CNN. Not FOX.
And the righties are far worse than the lefties with the delusion that they can get government services without paying for them, for just one example of the ignorance on your side of the political divide.........glass houses and stones and all that........
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

So I just joined Facebook.... - Discussion by DrewDad
YouTube Is Doomed - Discussion by Shapeless
Internet disinformation overload - Discussion by rosborne979
Participatory Democracy Online - Discussion by wandeljw
OpenDNS and net neutrality - Question by Butrflynet
Internet Explorer 8? - Question by Pitter
 
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 10/16/2021 at 04:26:14