Thirteen Year Old Boy Invents Doorbell......With a Difference

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2011 09:39 am
Quote:
A 13-year-old boy from south London has invented a doorbell which calls the householder if nobody answers the door.

Laurence Rook, from Croydon, said he got thinking about his invention after his mother missed several deliveries.

The doorbell, with a built-in Sim card and an intercom, calls the householder if no-one answers the door within eight seconds, allowing the visitor to speak directly to the householder.

Laurence has already received orders worth up to £250,000 for the doorbell.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-13683578

As they say, "If you build a better mousetrap, the world will beat a path to your door". I think that this kid is amazing. What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 1,776 • Replies: 12

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2011 12:16 pm
My thought was that this device can be useful if you are alone in the house, or are away from home. If you are alone, the gadget can be a safety feature, where you can know who is at the door before opening it. Other items do this well.

What makes this item unique, is that if you are out of the house, by answering the "intercom", it may discourage a burglar who may be ringing doorbells to discover if a house is unoccupied.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2011 12:29 pm
@Phoenix32890,
That's a great idea. However instead of using a mobile sim to call it'd be great it it just connected to the home's wifi network and used the internet instead. That way it could even include video and could be made much more powerful (e.g. you could have your doorbell just call you if you want, but could also get it to do a lot more than that if it uses the internet as a platform instead of mobile (which would be expensive in some places, to maintain a cellphone account just for your doorbell).
Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 05:30 am
@Robert Gentel,
Bob- Wouldn't your idea mean that the internet would have to be "on" all the time? In my area, we have many "snowbirds", who are away for months at a time.
I would assume that they don't leave their internet on, (especially in hurricane season). When they are away, the "intercom" would be the best time to discourage burglars.

Anyhow, I think that yours is a great idea, and you are the one with the exceptional technical expertise.IMO, the idea has a lot of potential.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 05:33 am
There are also a lot of people who have cell phones who don't have internet access.
farmerman

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 05:49 am
@Setanta,
Theres a whole bunch of areas that the use of elephone links would be useful and easily accomplisheable. Im thinking water levels in stock tanks, water clarity in tilapia farm ponds, temperature of hay barns, ;ightning protection systems , inventory controls, Hell its a wide open field of gizmology.
Setanta

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 05:55 am
Had i had a more technical education, i could have made a pile of money as a gizmologist.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 07:04 am
8 seconds?

I don't think I've ever answered a door in 8 seconds in my life.

farmerman

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 07:10 am
@chai2,
I need a phone call to let me know that my refrigerator door is open.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 07:11 am
I confess that I really don't get the appeal.

If someone delivers a package and you're not home chances are they won't leave it even if they speak to you. The person most likely isn't going to wait around for you to return.

It sounds like a great way for people to not only learn that you're not at home but that you're far away from home and when you might be expected to return. If you could forward your doorbell to a security service it would make a bit more sense to me.

Most people who knock on my door unexpectedly are not people I'm overly concerned with talking to -- petition passers, service sellers, etc. I certainly don't want those people calling me while I'm out grocery shopping or having lunch, simply not answering my door, or whatever.

Even though I'm not interested in having such a thing I'll admit that the kid is seriously smart!
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 08:06 am
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

My thought was that this device can be useful if you are alone in the house, or are away from home. If you are alone, the gadget can be a safety feature, where you can know who is at the door before opening it. Other items do this well.

What makes this item unique, is that if you are out of the house, by answering the "intercom", it may discourage a burglar who may be ringing doorbells to discover if a house is unoccupied.

I'll admit I've not given this a tremendous amount of thought, but I'm leaning toward, what boomer said, this not being appealing to me.

hmm...yeah, other items let a person see who's at the door as well. Such as a simple peephole.

Lot's of times I don't answer my door, even without looking through the peephole. Just don't feel like answering the door. Just like I don't answer the phone if I don't feel like it.

I don't feel like I personally need to be "on" all the time, and available to every tom dick and harry who wants a piece of my time.

Don't really get the safety aspect of it either. Let's say someone really wanted to get in your home, while you were there. Lot's of people fall for the old trick of someone saying there's someone out there that needs help, etc. If they catch on that you're not actually there, they might decide to just break in and steal your stuff.

Personally, a device like this feels like one more thing for a person to be enslaved to.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 08:08 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Theres a whole bunch of areas that the use of elephone links would be useful and easily accomplisheable. Im thinking water levels in stock tanks, water clarity in tilapia farm ponds, temperature of hay barns, ;ightning protection systems , inventory controls, Hell its a wide open field of gizmology.

Can it be programmed to core a apple?

Why yes! It can core a apple!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 03:39 pm
@farmerman,
Farmerman-Well, maybe some people are not interested in this item, but you have just coined a new word...................GIZMOLOGY!!

0 Replies