Create sub-account in yahoo mail

chai2

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 07:25 pm
maybe someone here can give a simple answer.

I have a main yahoo.com email address, let's call it Main.

I have in the past created 2 different sub accounts, sub1 and sub2

I now want to create a sub3 account, but I'll be damned if I can figure out how, even though I created sub2 only a couple of months ago.

In these sub accounts, no mail is ever received into the Main account they are 3 separate emails address.

I spent OVER AN HOUR with live chat at Yahoo help, asking over and over how to create a sub account, and it just got crazier and crazier as this "Peggy" first asked me "you want to create a sub account?" and I said yes...Peggy then proceeded to go farther and farther off track, ending up telling me to do exactly what I had said I didn't want to do. Which was opening a new account in which the emails to sub3 would end up going into the Main account. I really think by that time Peggy was just jerking me around, as I finally asked her why she was asking me the same thing 5 different times, and I kept telling her the exact same thing.

I've looked everywhere in my account information, and there is no option for sub accounts.

And no, it's not an alias.
When I do a search for how to create a sub account in yahoo mail, it gives instructions that make sense, but cannot be followed once you go in and try it.

I'm obviously missing something, probably very simple.

Please don't tell me to call Peggy again.

Help me....please.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 9,098 • Replies: 13
No top replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 07:41 pm

I don't know the answer,
but it sounds interesting.

David
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 08:04 pm
I can't believe 29 people have looked at this, and nary an answer.

I'm going to bed.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 08:04 pm
There better be some answers here in the morning, I'll tell you what.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 08:16 pm
@chai2,
Wouldn't it just be easier to open a new account? is there a particular benefit to having a sub-account?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 05:45 am
@chai2,
From what I am reading, you have 3 separate accounts (the term "sub" is misleading and doesn't tell me anything, from what I am reading of what you have written), and they remain separate, yes? If that's the case, then just open a fourth account.

Otherwise, the gal at Yahoo was trying to tell you how to redirect your next account into your Main one -- but you're say that's not what you want to do.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 01:25 pm
Hi ehbeth and jes

It's looks like that's what I'm going to have to do...open a new account.

You know how sometimes you can't see the forrest for the trees?

I was being told, and would try to go in to create a new account. I was being told to do this by being in my Main account, then clicking on my account information, click "new account" etc.

However, what that would do, it seemed to indicate, that any mail that was sent to me by others, using the new email address, would go to my main address.

In a moment of clarity (or something) I realized I should just go into Yahoo, pretend, as if I was a brand new customer, and just create a totally new ID, etc.

Jes, when I say "sub account" I'm using Yahoo's terminology, or at least what it was until a few months ago.

When we changed from SBC global.net to yahoo, I created a main ID called [email protected]

I could then go into the account information, and click on "manage accounts", then click on "Create New Sub Account" which I named [email protected]. Just a few months ago, I needed another email address, so went back into [email protected] account info, and repeated the process.

The day before this email rant here, I went into [email protected], because I need another email address (you could have up to 6 I believe).
Well, this time when I did it, there was no option saying "Create New Sub Account"
I searched and searched their help (which isn't helpful at all), then did a google search, which instructed me (with pictures even) to do exactly what I had done other times.
I even clicked on the link embedded there, hoping it would take me to the correct area to do this, and it did....sort of. In any event, I just couldn't make it happen.

That's when I finally went into their live chat help, which I knew would be a mistake.

I got one of their "Peggy's" and as I said above, it just went downhill from there.

Basically I asked
I want to create a sub account.

You want to create a sub account, is that correct?

Yes

Hold on a minute please.....(time passes) You want to (says something slightly different), is that correct?

No, that's not what I want to do. I want to create a sub account.

Hold on a minute please.....

etc etc.

Everytime Peggy came back, s/he was further and further way from the intital request.
When I complained that Peggy was asking me the same thing over and over, the response was "I'm trying to confirm what you are requesting."
ARRRRGGGHH!!

Now, if it's not called a sub account any more, or it can't be done, or there's a different procedure, that's fine.

I know there's jokes about stupid people calling IT, but damn, there are some really stupid people working there.

If it can't be done anymore, I don't know why they didn't just say so, and what options there were instead.

I swear, it's like they are trying to make you loose it.

Anyway, I guess I'll just start a brand new identity.

Am I the only one who has wanted to slit their own throat while trying to get a simple answer?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 02:53 pm
@chai2,
I've had meltdowns with yahoo, so I get it. Well, wait, you got a Peggy to answer you. Seethes with envy. (I know, I know, we don't pay for that kind of service, even agree on that)

I'm one of the people who clicked on your thread and didn't respond, since I didn't know what was happening.. not a new idea in itself. I still have my original yahoo account, with two email addresses, though by now I've probably had the second of those go into yahoo purgatory.

My main interest now is not to let them share my every murmur. They already tell all my contacts that I'm online or me that they are. What would my surgeon care?
jespah

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 04:54 pm
@ossobuco,
Huh, I dunno the term sub account. I know they can do redirects. I wonder wtf a subaccount is actually intended to be.
Ah, here it is: http://help.yahoo.com/sbc/tutorials/mmail/mm_accts1.html

Seems it's related to ATT.net.
chai2

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 06:26 pm
@jespah,
Don't confuse me with logic Jes. Neutral

If I have to deal with ATT now I will positively kill myself.

I'm just gonna start a new shabang.

My new prepaid touch phone arrived. I'll set it up this weekend when my mind is awake(er)

Then I can make a website, and order business cards.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 06:44 pm
@jespah,
Is that like JTT, repetitive?

Ok, I'm bad.
wmwcjr

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 07:05 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Is that like JTT, repetitive?

Ok, I'm bad.

No, you're not. You happen to be correct. Smile
ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 07:10 pm
@wmwcjr,
Hi, Wm.

Chai, sweets (as a friend from Texas used to say, always surprising me), let us know if you can summarize all you have learned.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 06:05 am
@chai2,
Ha, sorry 'bout the logic thang. Good luck with the biz.
0 Replies