Shortest word with vowels A,E,I,O,U in Alphabetical Order?

the prince

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 07:14 am
I shud say that I knew it - in order to be called beauty with brains - but I actually found it on www.wordsmith.org
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 07:22 am
I don't doubt it is in fact an English word, but it certainly is damn obscure. I tried the OneLook thing -- 2 sites listed "aerious" -- neither, however, are actual published dictionaries. There weren't any sites that listed the alternative spelling "aereous."

The 2 sites were the one Gautam listed, and Forthright's Phrontistery
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 07:23 am
Looks like old Bibster will have to step in here and clarify the Dictionary citation where this very rare word occurs.

All you old Abuzzers should know that Bib has access to many lexicographical resources...my grandfather was a lexicographer and has left me all of his library.

The word AERIOUS is recorded in the Oxford English Dictionary - Second Edition, and shows one use of this word with this spelling in 1657. The word means "airy."

I'll start another topic, where I'll list all of the words that I know of which have the vowels a,e,i,o,u in alphabetical order and with no repeat vowels.

Thanks for taking part in this trivia question. I trust that something useful was learned by all.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 07:24 am
Monger,

Really? I had no idea. It's pretty common in Portuguese.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 07:26 am
When I see it, I'll believe it Harrumph- Ya gotta get up early in the morning to fool me! Razz
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 07:33 am
Bib- 1657 huh- Must have stayed home from school that day! Laughing
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 08:08 am
Please check out the following new Trivia topic which is a follow on from this one:

A list of words with vowels A,E,I,O,U in Alphabetical Order

Simply click the above teal-coloured text, and I hope to see you there soon.
markko

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2020 10:12 am
How about: aequorin
0 Replies

ekename

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2020 06:53 pm
@Bibliophile the BibleGuru,
The shortest word with a, e, i, o, u in alphabetical order is of course the neologism aeiou which means complete avowal, pardon my tardy and understandably abstemious contribution.
0 Replies