Carmen's Club Garlic Steaks

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 01:39 pm
Years ago, before the neighbors forced Carmen's to stop the practice, you could smell the aroma of garlic steaks over a block from the club in Toronto. I have tried for years to replicate the result of their recipe without success. Does anyone out there know how they did it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,309 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 01:52 pm
@fredpage,
They probably used a garlic marinade. Have you tried that?

I'd guess that they also used a garlic butter on the steak once it was cooked.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 01:57 pm
@Butrflynet,
Here's one you might give a try:

Garlic Marinated Steaks

1/2 cup balsamic vinegar

1/4 cup soy sauce

3 tablespoons garlic, minced

2 tablespoons honey

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 teaspoons ground black pepper

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1 teaspoon onion powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring

1 pinch cayenne pepper

2 (1/2 pound) beef rib eye steaks In a medium bowl, combine the vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, honey, oil, ground black pepper, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, salt, liquid smoke and cayenne pepper. Place steaks in a shallow, nonporous dish and pour the steak marinade over the steaks. Rub the liquid into the meat for optimum flavor. Cover and steak marinade in the refrigerator for 24 to 48 hours. Preheat an outdoor grill for medium high to high heat and lightly oil grate. Grill or broil steaks for 7 to 8 minutes per side, or until internal temperature reaches at least 145 degrees F.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 02:06 pm
http://www.torontolife.com/daily/daily-dish/deathwatch/2009/11/19/carman%E2%80%99s-dining-club-steak-house-finally-put-out-of-its-misery/

Carman's

I've been looking on Chowhound, but it doesn't look like anyone's replicated it. There is a suggestion that roasted garlic is involved.
0 Replies