Has anyone ever made a bean cake?

Irishk

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 04:46 pm
@Rockhead,
I make some really oddball things in the kitchen. We're not health nuts or anything, but try to stay away from the bad stuff and eat healthy. Well, we don't think they're all that odd, but from reactions, I think some people do. The next time I get odd looks for my bean cake, I'm gonna tell them it's been around since WWII!!
chai2

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 05:33 pm
@Irishk,
Irish, the name of the book is Panorama, by H. G. Adler. (edit, I put WWI before, I meant WWII). It's supposed to be based on his childhood, and time he spent in a concentration camp.

Cake cooled down, I just took a bite.

Honestly?

I didn't like it.
Too sweet, and I thought the coconut oil was nasty feeling in my mouth. I didn't even put in as much of it as the directions called for.

I don't know though, I'm not much on baked goods, and ususally don't go into raptures into deserts other people are going crazy over.

Hold on, I'm going to ask Wally to take a bite.

Please enjoy this musical interlude....

Well, he liked it. Said it had a pudding quality.

There you go folks, you heard it here first.

Irishk

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 11:38 pm
@chai2,
If I make the white bean version, I'll probably stick with Lauren's recipe minus the honey and cocoa powder....and frost it with chocolate lol. I might experiment with adding some almond meal, as well.

Thanks for the book title. I'll add it to my list. The one I'm reading now is about the siege of Leningrad, so not much food discussion, of course, except for what they wish they could have. It's good, though. Two young comrades are tasked with finding a dozen eggs for an Army colonel or they'll be shot. I just started it and they've already faced cannibals, Nazis and female sharpshooters. City of Thieves, David Benioff.
0 Replies

Cristine

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 09:46 am
@chai2,
mmmh it looks very good Smile
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 01:02 pm
there is a new cafe in the little town between me and the big city.

specializes in specialty recipes. some of it gluten free.

read the back of my brownie, and discovered pamela.

she sells lots of gluten free stuff, including the pancake flour used to make my brownie.

http://www.pamelasproducts.com/products.aspx

and I got a loaf of fake bread...

(I gave them the bean cake recipe. I'll pay for a slice when they attempt it next week)
Irishk

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 01:26 pm
@Rockhead,
Thanks for the link. What's your fake bread made with, do you know?

When I first started experimenting with alternative and substitute baking ingredients (nut or rice flours, etc.) I had to order them online at specialty sites. Now most mainstream grocery stores have great selections and they're increasing them every day. We (Mr.Irish and I) don't really have many health issues with conventional baked goods (knocking on wood) -- stuff made from regular, traditional flours or sugars -- but have friends/family members who do, so it's nice to be able to run down to Kroger's and pick up what I need.

I haven't tried any of the 'mixes' yet, but some of them look good and easy.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 04:05 pm
@Irishk,
sorry, been away from the farm doing concrete work...

the bread I got was tapioca based. they also do brown rice and white rice.

and I picked up a brownie mix, and some pizza crust mix. I am having pizza withdrawal something fierce...
0 Replies