Who is your No.1 crime-writer?

Jim

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 09:04 am
This is a tough one.

It's a toss up between John Sanford and Thomas Perry.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 09:14 am
The Kellarmen one's I've read have been good.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 05:36 pm
Almost four years later, and still read the same authors...Am I predictable, or what? Not really!
Found the Janet Evanovich numbered series a lot of fun. Harlan Coben left an impression in my bookshelves as well. Turned back to an old favorite, Mr. Frederick Forsyth, still awesome how he masters the pageturner-power.

Do you have any new, or old for that matter, No.1 crime-writer you want to tell us about.

I looked up something similar an amazon last night. "Read my book""No, read mine!", and so on. Boring.

However, since we have a lot of talentede writers here, point me in the right direction, if you please.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 05:42 pm
Too many to list, really, but here are a few:

Martha Grimes
Jan van der Wettering
Heron Carvic
Anne Perry
Ellis Peters
Rex Stout
Georges Simenon
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 05:43 pm
Patricia Highsmith wasn't mentioned yet, I love her writing!
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 05:44 pm
I like Sanford, and Lawrence Block
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 06:00 pm
Add James Lee Burke to the list. The descriptive writing and casual violence are incredible.

John Dunning is also at the top of my authors list.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 06:01 pm
Don't know John Dunning, will look for him right away. Thanks, rog!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 06:05 pm
read Rex Stout, till it became a cult favorite

I just started Janet Evanovitch's "Ten Big Ones" Its the first of hers Ive read and it was reccomended because of its descriptions of New Jersey.

Tony Hillerman has always been fun because you learn some Navajo

Elmore Leonard-what can I say? I read "The Hot Kid" last week. Actually I downloaded it and mp3-d around like some brat kid listening to I-tunes.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 06:08 pm
Ann Rule
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 06:11 pm
I liked the last three books I've finished recently, all different in style - a Henning Mankell, a Jesse Kellerman, and a new writer to me, Miyuki Miyabe.

Haven't read Simenon or Janwillem van de Wetering or PD James in decades, but liked them back then.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 10:56 am
I'm partial to "cozies". I'm in the middle of Marne Davis Kellogg's Wyoming murders. She's no slouch on spreading bodies around.

http://stopyourekillingme.com/K_Authors/Kellogg_Marne-Davis.html
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 12:40 pm
An all time favorite of mine is English writer, Elizabeth Mackintosh who wrote under the name of Josephine Tey. She passed in 1952.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 12:51 pm
I read several of Dick Francis' novels when I was younger. I first discovered them abridged in Reader Digest.

I also recommend Jonathan Gash for his Lovejoy books. The BBC did a series that came to PBS, which is why I discovered the books, but it doesn't make Lovejoy quite the downtrodden cad the books do.

I just finished a Sanford book and my wife has a P. Cornwall that I haven't read yet.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 02:33 pm
It's always kinda fun when I see posts from myself that I've completely forgotten about and I agree -- it's like, oh, hi self, nice choice!

Anyway, one that I'd add is Dashiell Hammett. We've been watching "Thin Man" movies and enjoying them a lot, reminded me that I tore through all of his books in a matter of weeks in college and loved 'em.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 09:34 am
Yesterday I ordered Peter Hoeg's Smell's Sense of Snow.

Fifty cents (plus P&H) from Amazon second hand.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 02:44 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Yesterday I ordered Peter Hoeg's Smell's Sense of Snow.

Fifty cents (plus P&H) from Amazon second hand.

I think you mean Smilla's Sense of Snow... I think you'll like it.

He also wrote "The Woman and the Ape" which is great read.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 02:46 pm
parados wrote:
I read several of Dick Francis' novels when I was younger. I first discovered them abridged in Reader Digest.

I also recommend Jonathan Gash for his Lovejoy books. The BBC did a series that came to PBS, which is why I discovered the books, but it doesn't make Lovejoy quite the downtrodden cad the books do.

I just finished a Sanford book and my wife has a P. Cornwall that I haven't read yet.

I agree with your comment about Lovejoy - that's often the case, isn't it? Although I thought John Thaw did an excellent representation of Morse.

I have a read a number of Dick Francis' books but they are too formulaic for my tastes now. It's always the same.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 04:31 pm
John Thaw as Morse was wonderful!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 04:39 pm
Yeah, we lost a good one when he died.
0 Replies