ANYBODY KNOW OF ANY WIRELESS ROUTER SIGNAL BOOSTERS?

Chumly

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 09:14 am
I have two Linksys routers model WRT54GS and I loaded one with the DD-WRT firmware so it runs as a repeater...easy-peazy http://www.skifactz.com/wifi/wrt54g_repeater.htm
farmerman

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 03:46 pm
@Chumly,
My Netware wifi booster doesnt cut it. I tried several areas outside the house and it failed miserab;y (I only had one bar of signal strength-whatever the hell that is in Gauss per fortnight).

Im gonna go up a notch and get the SIGNALATOR 3000. This bad boy, besides setting me back another 200 bucks, turns all my sockets into antennae and I am able to recieve signals all over the property (IT SEZ HERE ON THE STAPLES AD).
I will return the 79.95 gizmo and pick up the 250$ Mega gizmo.
Its ok, Ill expense it.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 04:05 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman, Sorry to hear you're having so much difficulty with getting your laptops to work in the house. We've been having connection problems with our wireless, so I just disconnected the whole works, and my wife plays on my computer.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 04:15 pm
@farmerman,
Is that made by Binford Tools...?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 04:38 pm
@farmerman,
What you want is called a wireless range extender/expander. You put it at the edge of your working wireless network, and it relays the signal further out.

Linksys 802.11g Wireless-G Range Expander WRE54G-RM

There are other, less expensive, models available, but this model has worked for me in the past.
Chumly

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 04:51 pm
@DrewDad,
Hi Drew Dad, the very first review of the WRE54G-RM mirrors my views, but then again you have had success with the WRE54G-RM.
Quote:
I had read all the bad reviews on this prior to starting, but still thought I'd give it a try. After wasting about 6 hours, I finally took it back and did not order a replacement. The repeater would work for a maximum of 5 minutes and then would just quit. So, yes, I know it was configured properly because it worked for a while. I googled everything I could find and discovered many others with this same problem. Went to my stash and pulled out an old linksys router, flashed the firmware with an opensource firmware, and turned that into a repeater instead and it was essentially free. Don't waste your time with this repeater.
Chumly

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 04:54 pm
@farmerman,
Gauss / fortnight!
farmerman

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 05:43 pm
@Chumly,
I think one of the problems with any repeater system or wifi booster is in the statement in the Lynksys asystem
Quote:
Relay station Drives signals into reflective, hard-to-reach corners to increase the coverage of your wireless network
My problem is that these old farmhouses have all bearing interior walls made of iron bearing ROCK.

I think the one that goes through the house wiring may work (I will also use your freeware suggestion--cant have too many bells and whistles)
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 06:08 pm
@Chumly,
I suspect that people have tried to place the device too close to the edge of the signal.

Flashing a device with open source firmware is beyond the comfort level of most people.
0 Replies