Samsung 55'' or Sharp Aquos 60''

Ragman

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 07:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
At the risk of putting to fine of a point on this, let's eliminate the discussion (for the moment) of holographic TV. teh technology will progress soon to a 3d HDTV that needs no wearing of glasses to see the 3D image.

Then the holographic technology will eventually hit an affordability point where THAT tech will put 3D HDTV on the museum shelf.

You guys are welcome. I hope this sheds some clarity on this.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 08:01 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
As to those 3D movies which are currently shown in theaters, that level of tech requires the wearing of special glasses to make the 3D image viewable. FWIW, these glasses have a invisible shutter to them that blinks at a certain rate that the brain 'translates' to a coherent image. This blink rate is 'almost' invisible and imperceivable.

What the unconscious brain perceives and translates is a slight time phase or a slight delay between left and right eye. (think back to the yesteryear when there were stereoscopic slide viewers from the late 40s - 60s.).

This slight time difference is what the brain resolves as a spatial (depth) difference or a 3D image. Without these glasses in theaters (with the current 3D movies), you see a non-3D image. At home on TVs the current TV tech renders to the viewer as a bit different and less realistically but still definitely a 3D image.

FWIW, I prefer watching movies such as Avatar in 3D (as opposed to home viewing). That sort of movie excells in theater 3D movie technology. If technology fascinates you, you should at least ONCE see a movie of your taste choice in a theater that shows 3D.

Of course, they often couple these blockbuster releases of 3D Movies at OMNI-equipped theaters in major cities like NYC Wash DC, Chicago, Toronto, LA, SF, Boston, Tampa, etc. You have to be purist, or pretty jaded or techno-phobic to dislike this.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 08:25 pm
@urhockey22,
At the risk of going far beyond the scope of what OP asked (and my comprehension and ability to provide clarity) this is where holography (3D without a 'screen') is at the state-of-the-art:

"Holographic Versatile Disc - The Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) is an optical disc technology that may one day hold up to 6 terabytes (TB) of information, although the current maximum is 500GB. It employs a technique known as collinear holography.

5D DVD - The 5D DVD, being developed in the Swinburne University of Technology in Melbourne, Australia, uses a multi-laser system to encode and read data on multiple layers. Technology could be compatible with current DVD disc-drive technology. Disc capacities are estimated at up to 10 terabytes, and the technology could be commercially ready within ten years."

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 09:32 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman, No need to apologize for providing current tech now being developed for our visual entertainment. I'm curious as to when that technology will be available to consumers.
Ragman

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 03:06 am
@cicerone imposter,
In this current economic climate it's hard to say. R&D money is in shorter supply than in other years. Look to electronics corporate giants like Samsung, Sony, Phillips, etc.

However, when the current level of consumer 3D HDTV tech gets broader acceptance, holography will probably get closer to being affordable. If I were to hazard a guess.. 5-10 yrs..MAYBE?

I've seen still holograhpic images at MIT in Cambridge. In fact, you can see still holographic images every day on your credit cards wetc. However, I've not seen dynamic or moving holographic images yet, though they do exist.

Anyone else see any moving holographic images yet?

[Edit: here's the latest tech news on holographic movies]:
http://www.studiobriefing.net/2010/11/holographic-movies-move-closer-to-reality/

November 4, 2010

Professor Nasser Peyghambarian of the University of Arizona’s College of Optical Sciences has revealed he and his research team have been able to “realize science fiction in the laboratory” by producing 3D holographic images similar to those seen in the original Star Wars. The system, which requires no glasses — but, unlike the Princess Leia scene in Star Wars, does require a screen — could eventually revolutionize motion pictures by displaying life-size holographic images that could be transmitted in real time into theaters — allowing, for example, live stage shows to be mounted in one city and watched in hundreds of other theaters with such realism that the actors would appear to be performing on the stage of each of them. In a description of his research published in the current Nature magazine, Peyghambarian indicated that the holographic display is currently in a relatively primitive stage (it can only update images every two seconds, so that they appear jerky); however, he said, it “brings us a step closer to the ultimate goal of realistic holographic telepresence with high resolution, full color, human-sized, 3D images that can be sent at video refresh rates from one part of the world to another.”
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 03:18 am
@Ragman,
That 's great news, Ragman!

Thanx for bringing us up to date.
I loved your link.
I guess with progressively faster computers,
holografy will move ever closer to public availability.

David
Ragman

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 03:50 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Yup, faster computers, larger cheaper memories and R&D (MIT and Cal Tech) money flowing like cheap wine would do it. And lots of discretionary cash spent by those wonderful 'early adopters' when holograph tech does start to hit the streets.

Filmaker Lucas and his advanced think-lab corporation Lucasfilms are at the bleeding edge as innovators so look to him for the direction of the movie industry.

{Edit: found yet another link of SOTA holographic TV from Holovisions.com, circa 2007}:
http://www.holovisions.com/holographic_television.html

Overview of Holographic Television:

"The technology to make motion pictures has existed for around a century and the technology to make holograms that appear three-dimensional has been around for several decades. However, the technology to do both at the same time, creating three-dimensional holographic motion pictures, has not yet arrived. Some holograms appear animated when one changes one’s position – but generally this is a finite sequence of frames, not a true video image.

Research is underway at some university and corporate laboratories to develop three-dimensional holographic motion pictures. Key research centers include those at MIT and the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas. This research is expected to lay the groundwork for holographic video within the next five years (less?) and for holographic television within the next ten (less?) years. "
0 Replies

ivanzuza

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 04:44 pm
@engineer,
I bought SHARP 60" LC-60LE752E and he died after 3 month of using it . And for the moment , I don t have a tv: Because in Serbia shopstore has right to keep the tv about 30 days after 45 days from the shopping. And just imagine my face when i found out all that. My experience is very bad abot this tv .
0 Replies