my head is throbbing like a mouthful of infected teeth?

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 09:12 pm

Looks like a weird metaphor. What does "throbbing" mean here?

Context:

In the morning my stomach has settled a little but my diaphragm is sore from vomiting and my head is throbbing like a mouthful of infected teeth. My eyes have turned into magnifying glasses; the hideously bright morning lightcoming in through the hotel windows is being concentrated by them and will soon set my brains on fire.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,560 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 11:24 pm
@oristarA,
It refers to a bad headache where not only can you hear or feel your pulse, but it feels as if it has become a bass drum, pounding on your skull.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you've never been drunk Ori. A hangover is a terrible thing. Just in case you ever decide to imbibe.... Wink
oristarA

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 12:16 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

It refers to a bad headache where not only can you hear or feel your pulse, but it feels as if it has become a bass drum, pounding on your skull.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you've never been drunk Ori. A hangover is a terrible thing. Just in case you ever decide to imbibe.... Wink

Yes I've never been tipsy. I'll never try it.

Thank you.
Dutchy

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 12:27 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Ceili wrote:

Yes I've never been tipsy. I'll never try it.

Thank you.

You don't know what you've missed. Razz
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 01:13 am
@oristarA,
I don't know what the scientific explanation is (although I'm sure you can find out pretty quickly through a Google search) but serious infections result in a "throbbing" sensation in the infected area, which is to say a continuous series of pain waves.

Although headaches are infrequently the result of infections, they can produce a similar throbbing effect, particularly if they are part of a hangover.

The scientific explanation may be different as the sensation is not identical, but it's close enough to justify the metaphor used.
oristarA

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 06:14 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I don't know what the scientific explanation is (although I'm sure you can find out pretty quickly through a Google search) but serious infections result in a "throbbing" sensation in the infected area, which is to say a continuous series of pain waves.

How vivid!

Thanks
0 Replies