Girlfriend with self-esteem issues

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 05:49 pm
How do you keep a girlfriend with self-esteem issues, and jealousy issues happy? My girlfriend is sad a lot of the time and is really hard on herself about her looks, weight, etc. I can cheer her up a lot of times but it's never lasting. She also has a lot of jealousy issues. I can't even hang out with co-workers that she know, while she's there without commenting on it. It's not really bad or anything, they're just some minor annoyances and unnecessary stressors during the day that I would rather be done with.

The reason I bring this up is because we had a somewhat bad argument today concerning these issues...which I hate.

View best answer, chosen by Chights47
chai2

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 05:57 pm
@Chights47,
Have you asked yourself if this is someone that you really want to be with?

If the answer is yes, would you care to share why?
I'm not saying she isn't worth it, but I'm also not saying she is.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 07:14 pm
@Chights47,
I don't think other people make one happy, more that happiness is a personal state, or ability. We all aren't responsible for each other's happiness quotient.
That said, people do bring us joys and sorrows as well as irritations and laughs. But - basic happiness or well being is within us. I've heard many times that you can't love until you love yourself - a cliche, but to some extent right.
Chights47

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 07:45 pm
@chai2,
The answer is an undoubtable and ever resounding "yes". I've tried questioning this relationship in the past in every way and every single time it's been yes. I love her more than anything, and I hate to spill my heart like this, but I can't stand her just letting herself suffer anymore.

My reasons being is basically that we understand each other. I know myself to be a very "curious" being because I know that my personality is very compatible with a vast majority of people, but very few people's match with mine. She accepts me for all my faults and loves me all the more and I feel the same for her. As far as I can describe it, we're as close to being "one" as I can even fathom being possible.

I'm not trying to assume anything by this, but the way you phrased your questions makes it seem like you feel as though I'm either young, haven't really thought this through, or that we haven't been in a relationship that long...or that those are just common questions that you're asking to assess the situation. Regardless of the intent. I'm actually planing on proposing to her next month and I've already bought the ring...that's how sure I am.
Chights47

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 07:50 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I don't think other people make one happy, more that happiness is a personal state, or ability. We all aren't responsible for each other's happiness quotient.
That said, people do bring us joys and sorrows as well as irritations and laughs. But - basic happiness or well being is within us. I've heard many times that you can't love until you love yourself - a cliche, but to some extent right.

Great answer...but that's more the "what" and not the "how" that I'm looking for. The problem is that we both handle our problems and stresses differently so I have trouble relating in that area. Is there a way that you can help to instill that happiness in someone? The only other option that I can think of is her going to get help and going on anti-depressants. It's also a lot of various things that bother her, which is mainly work and her own self-image.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 07:58 pm
@Chights47,
That was my point - I don't think you can instill happiness in someone.. my opinion.

I've no idea if she needs anti depressants but counseling by a psychologist could be a help. Not all therapists are anti depressant oriented.
Chights47

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 08:32 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

That was my point - I don't think you can instill happiness in someone.. my opinion.

I've no idea if she needs anti depressants but counseling by a psychologist could be a help. Not all therapists are anti depressant oriented.

I know it's not like something you can give like a gift, but more of a path in which you can show the way. I've tried numerous ways to say numerous things to try and get her to see her how I do. I'm basically just looking for anything I can use to try and help her feel better since I'm out idea's myself. Just some kind of saying or a quote of wisdom that can help give her that enlightenment that it doesn't matter what other people think about her and just what her family, friends and I think.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 10:18 pm
@Chights47,
Quote:
How do you keep a girlfriend with self-esteem issues, and jealousy issues happy?

First things first : be yourself, and don’t debate these issues, for she’ll have already justified them in her head intellectually; and more importantly – in her hear, emotionally.
Quote:
My girlfriend is sad a lot of the time and is really hard on herself about her looks, weight, etc. I can cheer her up a lot of times but it's never lasting.
Stop telling her what you think about her looks and weight etc – she thinks it’s all lies.

She also has a lot of jealousy issues. I can't even hang out with co-workers that she know, while she's there without commenting on it. It's not really bad or anything, they're just some minor annoyances and unnecessary stressors during the day that I would rather be done with.

The reason I bring this up is because we had a somewhat bad argument today concerning these issues...which I hate.

This is what I see as your biggest problem – that you hate conflict. Learn to get over hating arguments – conflict is a necessary part of self respect. What you need to do is learn why conflict is necessary, and how to handle it respectfully (towards both yourself, and towards her)

There’s a truism – people will see what they want to see. When they desperately want to see something, then there’s little you can do to change it by stating the obvious. She’s stuck in a victim mentality here, and isn’t thanking you for trying to get her out of it – rather, she’s using your responses to reinforce her victimhood....so this isn’t helped by you trying to please her by telling her how good looking she is etc.

On the far side, you’re getting frustrated by her insistence on victimhood. Part of this is because you are giving in to her reality (you look for ‘logical’ ways to argue the emotions, rather than standing up for what you see).

Tell me, is there something wrong with telling her over and over (when she’s saying she’s ugly or some such): ‘You are wrong’ – ‘this is you self perpetuating your victimhood’

And when you do tell her she’s beautiful, do you become assertive and tell her how insulting it is when she tells you that you don’t know what you are looking at? And then stick to your demand that she not insult you?

Do you speak to her of the consequences of her insistence on victimhood?

Ie. Understand the game she is playing, and don’t play it. At the same time, understand who you are and what you know, and stick to it. Don’t let her insult your views, and don’t let her recreate her victimhood.

Self-Esteem itself is built in different ways – but the self deception on both sides of this relationship is what you need to overcome in the near term.
PUNKEY

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 08:08 am
Go to the Relationship section of this site and read some of the posts about living with someone who is volatile, depressed, or bi-polar

It can be living hell . . .

Do NOT marry her until this is sorted out.

Please go to couples counseling before you take this big step.
Chights47

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 09:00 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

Go to the Relationship section of this site and read some of the posts about living with someone who is volatile, depressed, or bi-polar

It can be living hell . . .

Do NOT marry her until this is sorted out.

Please go to couples counseling before you take this big step.

I think you're getting the wrong idea about this, it's not nearly that bad, we "fight" between once a day to once a week and it's only for about 10 minutes to 30 minutes. It's not that bad in and of itself. It's just the repetitiveness is what's bothering me and that it's something I haven't been able to overcome on my own. It's definitely no where near being "volatile" and I know she's not bi-polar. If it is depression then it's pretty mild (at best) and would most likely be because of her job.
0 Replies

Chights47

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 09:07 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

This is what I see as your biggest problem – that you hate conflict. Learn to get over hating arguments – conflict is a necessary part of self respect. What you need to do is learn why conflict is necessary, and how to handle it respectfully (towards both yourself, and towards her)

We always have "conflicts" we always talk those out no problem. It's highly unlikely that 2 people will completely in every single situation. It's just these pointless conflicts that only do harm to us both, those aren't necessary.

You said there's little that you can do to change someone's views of themselves, what is that little bit that you 'can' do. Anything I can grasp my hands on and that I haven't tried before that might help. Any kinds of words of wisdom or past stories in which someone else overcame this kind of thought process. I've overcome it myself but that path isn't for her.
chai2

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 02:34 pm
@Chights47,
The reason I asked is because I also wonder if she was like this from the word Go.

If something happens with a person after you've been together, it may very well be worth it to stick around.

However, if I met someone new, and from day 1 they had the sort of traits you described, I'd have no interest in pursuing them in the first place. One could say "but there were so many other good traits", but I would measure that against what I'd have to put up with day to day, and wouldn't find it worth it.
vikorr
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 04:55 pm
@Chights47,
Hi Chights47

Quote:
We always have "conflicts" we always talk those out no problem. It's highly unlikely that 2 people will completely in every single situation. It's just these pointless conflicts that only do harm to us both, those aren't necessary.
Those conflicts ARE necessary. For you they shouldn't have to exist, for her they are essential.

What you need to understand is the game she is playing, and then find the path in between (that is part of the 'little' you can do)...which of course, is rather difficult to identify and do. But the first part to doing it, is to not take part in her delusional 'victim' view, and to stand firm by your view...but not in a way that you are trying to please her (but rather, in a factual way). Don't let her push 'your view' around, because it is your view (not hers), and you see what you see.

By the way - if you tell her 'she's beautiful' and don't get mad at her when she tells you that you are lying - then you are in fact lying. This isn't because what you said was wrong, but because you are trying to please her by withholding things that you are feeling - your emotions (whether of frustration, anger, irritation, outrage...whatever), and she senses that and uses it to reinforce her views. That is why you need to be firm about what you think, say exactly what you feel (firmly and respectfully), and don't take part in her delusion of victimhood.

As I said before also - talk about consequences with her. If she doesn't see the consequences coming (and she'll try not to), she can then use those consequences to reinforce 'I'm not beautiful' etc...rather than looking at her own behaviour. Have a look in your heart at how you will feel if this behaviour continues for another 6 months, a year, 10 years. How long can the frustration build for you? Once you understand your own reactions to her behaviour, you have a solid foundation to talk about consequences of her behaviour with her. At the very core of this is the message - it is your behaviour that will have negative consequences (it may be 'your behaviour is driving me away), not your looks, which I find very sexy.

Next, victims use manipulative behaviour to reinforce their victimhood - they look to divert conversation (so always stick to what you know, be aware of attempts to divert and do not be diverted, and if you have to repeat yourself over and over - do so, firmly and respectfully), The manipulative behaviour may take the form of trying to shift 'blame' to you, or cause an emotional reaction, or an outright lie that leaves you dumbfounded - always ignore these and come back to the central issue (if you don't ignore them, anything you say will be used to divert the conversation even further away).

If she says something valid, but you know will end up diverting conversation, say 'what we need to talk about now is (issue named here)'. Don't add extra in because she will use it to divert the conversation. If she demands you talk about it, then you can say 'I promise we can talk about that after, but right now we must sort out (insert issue here)'

Do you understand? Do NOT be diverted. Do not take part in her delusion of victimhood. Do not allow her to trample over your views of her. And be firm and respectful while doing this.

This by the way - is only about breaking her sense of victimhood. Building self esteem is done in multiple other ways.

May I suggest you do searches of amazon for what you are looking for. Multiple things you can search for a books on victimhood, manipulative people, self esteem, self deception (not many on this subject) etc. If the relationship is worth it, then it's worth educating yourself about this (otherwise you face years of the same)
Chights47

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 07:42 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

The reason I asked is because I also wonder if she was like this from the word Go.

If something happens with a person after you've been together, it may very well be worth it to stick around.

However, if I met someone new, and from day 1 they had the sort of traits you described, I'd have no interest in pursuing them in the first place. One could say "but there were so many other good traits", but I would measure that against what I'd have to put up with day to day, and wouldn't find it worth it.

So sad depressed people deserve to be left only furthering their depressions and reinforcing there terrible feelings? She doesn't do it for attention or to try and have a back and forth argument to try and get me to say that she's pretty. She does have a little bit of a weight problem which she's always complaining about so it's not as though she's just making stuff up. It's just that she see's everything that's wrong with her (which is valid in a general sense) but it's just that it doesn't seem to get across to her that I don't care about that. Everything I value with outer beauty, she has, it's really just her weight that's the problem.

What she doesn't do anything directly to me, it's just that I see her practically suffer with all those depressing thoughts and it hurts my heart. Everything around her tells her that in order to be pretty, you have to be skinny. The problem is, is that I can't get it out of her head that neither me nor anyone that loves her, cares about. 97.68% of the time everything is more than great. it's that 2.32% that I hate.
Chights47

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 07:49 pm
@vikorr,
Thanks for you answer, it was very informative. It doesn't seem to fit my situation, but I can tweak it a bit in order to get me going in the right direction. As far as my "frustrations" they don't build. I'm personally great at dealing with stress and just letting things go...It's a gift I received from my last gf who...well...trying to the extreme. I've only been "livid" 5 times in my life that I can remember and 3 were because of her. All that was within a 14 month period as well...and I'm 22 now. It's also because of my last gf that I know that her problems aren't that bad, they're just like tiny but deep cuts in my heart.
vikorr

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 10:18 pm
@Chights47,
Glad to know that it helped.

Quote:
As far as my "frustrations" they don't build. I'm personally great at dealing with stress and just letting things go...It's a gift I received from my last gf who...well...trying to the extreme. I've only been "livid" 5 times in my life that I can remember and 3 were because of her.
It isn't necessarily rage that builds (everyones outlet differs)...and very few people escape the build up process in similar circumstances, but as in everything, there are always exceptions.
0 Replies

melisawilson

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 02:03 am
@Chights47,
You try hard to keep her happy but if she is like this by nature and doesn't even want to change then its better to talk over this issue with her. Tel her that if she can't change (especially the jealousy attitude) then it would be difficult for you to stay with her anymore. A good relation is independent of such things.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 04:59 am
@Chights47,
Chights47 wrote:

chai2 wrote:

So sad depressed people deserve to be left only furthering their depressions and reinforcing there terrible feelings?

You obviously did not read what I said. I bolded it for you. I did not say I would leave someone if problems developed. I said I wouldn't get involved with that person if they were that way when I met them.

Big difference.

No matter, there's always someone, like you and millions others, who will.

BTW, I've been married for other 17 years to someone who has had many problems, physical and mental, for most of them. He didn't when we first met.
I don't regret marrying him, but if he had these conditions when we met, it never would have gone anywhere.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 11:58 am
Chights47
Her depression is not mild. People with mild depression don't act this way. She has moderate to severe depression if she is in fact depressed and not just an attention seeker.

She's seeking attention. Don't think for one moment she's not. Jealousy of this nature is not normal. Complaining about your looks and never doing anything about it is called fishing for compliments. What is he "weight problem"? 10 lbs? 100?

I seriously doubt that she is anything other than a high maintenance person who will never move on from this.

Sorry but I've seen it and the story never changes.
Chights47

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 07:46 pm
@Bella Dea,
Bella Dea wrote:

Chights47
Her depression is not mild. People with mild depression don't act this way. She has moderate to severe depression if she is in fact depressed and not just an attention seeker.

She's seeking attention. Don't think for one moment she's not. Jealousy of this nature is not normal. Complaining about your looks and never doing anything about it is called fishing for compliments. What is the "weight problem"? 10 lbs? 100?

I seriously doubt that she is anything other than a high maintenance person who will never move on from this.

Sorry but I've seen it and the story never changes.

Well she has jealousy issues because her last boyfriend cheated on her...a couple times actually, so it comes from somewhere, but I do think it can be a little excessive at time. There may have also been a...umm *cough* *cough* "hormone issue" during this argument. As far as her weight problem, her ideal weight is between 160-180 (medically a healthy weight is 144) and she's about 260-270 and 5'6". So it's not really a small weight problem, and she has tried to get fit, but it's hard because she has a sweat gland disorder so it's hard for her to work out as well as eat right. She actually incredibly low maintenance other than these 2 issues. Her depression may not be "mild" but it's in no way remotely severe. I've been depressed before and it just seems...controlled, kind of. She also worries about a lot of different things in which I don't understand. She's going to a psychologist next week though who specializes with people who work where we do...no joke.

1. Forums
  2. » Girlfriend with self-esteem issues
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 12:35:53