How easy is it to track IP adress

dadpad

Sun 8 May, 2011 10:31 pm
It seems easy enough to track my own IP address.
Moderators on a site like this must be able to track the IP adress of every single member that posts here.
Its something to keep in mind when constructing posts and threads.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 18 • Views: 5,556 • Replies: 37
Topic Closed

View best answer, chosen by dadpad
Francis

Mon 9 May, 2011 03:54 am
@dadpad,
Yes and I even remember mods using the location of the IPs of some members of this forum for their own purposes..
msolga

Mon 9 May, 2011 11:21 pm
@Francis,
Interesting comments.
Me, as I only frequent one such site, using only one username, I suspect I have no cause for worry.
Yes?
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 9 May, 2011 11:23 pm
@Francis,
What do you mean by that post, Francis?
Walter Hinteler

Mon 9 May, 2011 11:25 pm
@msolga,
That happened ages ago ...
msolga

Mon 9 May, 2011 11:35 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Oh, OK.
I'm just a curious sort of person, that's all., Walter. Smile
0 Replies

Francis

Tue 10 May, 2011 01:24 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Not sure it cannot happen again...
Walter Hinteler

Tue 10 May, 2011 01:27 am
@Francis,
... en théorie ...
0 Replies

Francis

Tue 10 May, 2011 01:47 am
@msolga,
Imagine you come to visit me in Paris incognito.

If you connect to A2K at my place, mods will know where you are and can use the info for their own purposes...

Same with reading PMs..

Quite simple.
dlowan

Tue 10 May, 2011 02:37 am
@Francis,
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

FBM

Tue 10 May, 2011 03:03 am
http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm?GetLocation

That said, I don't know how to get anybody's IP address in the first place.... nor am I sure why I would want to...
0 Replies

JPB

Tue 10 May, 2011 06:24 am
@Francis,
Hasn't the PM reading business been addressed repeatedly? TTH had an epic thread about PMs being private. I think there were others. Mods don't/can't read PMs.
maxdancona

Tue 10 May, 2011 06:32 am
It is very easy to track an IP address. But, it is not that difficult to hide. If you are that paranoid, use Tor.
0 Replies

Francis

Tue 10 May, 2011 07:28 am
@JPB,
That's plain false..

But I was just replying to msolga question and not interested in the subject anymore..
msolga

Tue 10 May, 2011 07:35 am
@Francis,
Thanks for responding to my question, Francis.
I kinda wish I hadn't asked it now.
Seems to be causing a few problems.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 10 May, 2011 07:52 am
Is there really any reason to be concerned about moderators tracking IP addresses?

I remember one incident where this was beneficial. One angry poster started posting obscene photos. He was immediately banned, but then came back the next day under a different username. I believe it required blocking his IP address in order to finally stop him.
Francis

Tue 10 May, 2011 07:56 am
@wandeljw,
Well, yes, there are reasons to be concerned and it is when mods act without ethics..

For example telling personal stuff of other members to their friends..
DrewDad

Tue 10 May, 2011 08:10 am
@Francis,
Are IP addresses "private?"
0 Replies

DrewDad
  Selected Answer

Tue 10 May, 2011 08:14 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

It seems easy enough to track my own IP address.
Moderators on a site like this must be able to track the IP adress of every single member that posts here.
Its something to keep in mind when constructing posts and threads.

Websites are able to log the observed IP address of every connection if they choose to do so. ("Observed IP address," because it is possible to use proxies to mask the actual IP address.)

Every carrier between you and Able2Know (or any other website you use) can see the data packets. They can even capture the packets and read the data if you are not using encryption. Even with encryption, some data is visible. Source and destination IP addresses and port numbers are sent in clear text even if an encrypted connection is used.
0 Replies

JPB

Tue 10 May, 2011 08:49 am
@Francis,
No it isn't. And, we can keep saying "Yes, they can." or "No, they can't." forever. I have no desire to reopen that long-dead thread so I'll paraphrase. Robert, as owner of the site has access to everything in the database. Obviously, if it's stored in the database then it's available to him and/or his designee. If you think he has the time and/or inclination to sit and dig through PMs for juicy tidbits then we'll have to agree to disagree on that count. I believe Jes explicitly stated in that thread that the "Mods" do not have access to PMs.