The advantages of ivy league universities

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 04:20 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Read the actual article. You're basing your comments on excerpts.
Read the article.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 04:24 pm
@ossobuco,
Adds, I've no doubt some motivated people can learn effectively by the internet, especially if fortified by good reasoning skills. My own internet experiences combine woeful stupidity on some entries on some sites, a major lack of any google info coming up on past matters of close interest to me, miserable photos re any search....... to great photos re some searches, information I didn't know after previous long study, and some very smart/interesting takes in various sites' posts.

Which brings up teaching logic much earlier in school than I experienced.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 04:27 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Depends what you plan to do with your degree(s). Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, Brown, Dartmouth, Pennsylvania and Cornell Universities are the names and located in the North east.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_League

Brown University is where Harry Potter's female lead Emma Watson attended and may switch from.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/21/emma-watson-teased-taunte_n_852115.html

If you plan to stay in the States it would certainly help in getting top jobs. You may even look towards Canada for employmennt as Ivy League credentials are looked at with some reverence. Toronto is just a few (6-8)hours drive from New York City if you attend Columbia University. The affiliated women's colleges are referred to as the Seven Sisters:

Here's a look at the "Seven Sisters" in alphabetical order:

Barnard College (New York, NY) - founded in 1889, adjacent to Columbia University. In 1983 Columbia began to accept women applicants, ending Barnard's exclusive right to enroll women undergrads.

Bryn Mawr College (Bryn Mawr, PA) - this nondenominational college counts actress Katharine Hepburn among its notable alumnae.

Mount Holyoke College (South Hadley, MA) - founded in 1837, this was the first of the Seven Sister schools, and the first institution of higher education for women in the U.S.

Radcliffe College (Cambridge, MA) - emerged in 1893 as an institution adjacent to, yet separate from, Harvard University. In the 1970s, the two schools merged and women were officially granted Harvard degrees.

Smith College (Northampton, MA) - Australian educator and author Jill Ker Conway became Smith's first woman president in 1975.

Vassar College (Poughkeepsie, NY) - coeducational since 1969, its the first of the Seven Sisters to welcome both genders. In 1989, Rick Lazio was the first Vassar grad to be elected to Congress. However, he was defeated in a recent Senate race by a Wellesley grad.

Wellesley College (Wellesley, MA) - Wellesley's presidents have all been women, many of them Wellesley alums.

They are the Women's 'Ivy League' Universities.

Radcliffe is affiliated with Harvard,
Barnard with Columbia.

http://ask.yahoo.com/20020108.html
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 04:38 pm
@talk72000,
talk, Thanks for sharing that info on those ivy league schools.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 04:41 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth, You're right, of coarse; I've been too lazy to read the article, and gave up half arse responses that you and the others don't deserve.

Leaving tomorrow again for another trip, but will return in ten days, and get back to this thread.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 04:42 pm
@cicerone imposter,
One more post, end of rant.

What I question is the increasing connection of education with career decision making and subsequent tutorials. I think part of that increase is the price of standing for education, that it has to be for your career.

Thus language classes being cut, and so on.
George

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 04:53 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
The Pentacle Queen wrote:
Obviously there are major academic advantages, but could anyone outline
the exact advantages when it comes to employment? Thanks, pq.

The real advantage to attending an Ivy League school is contacts. In the
business world, Ivy Leaguers who established bonds at school take care of
each other. Very good care.
plainoldme

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 09:14 pm
@George,
You would have enjoyed the discussion on the Harvard alum writers' site about how many Harvard grads were reduced to reading Tarot cards for a living.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 09:31 pm
@ossobuco,
That doesn't apply only in popular career fields where classes seem to survive in bad economic times, but high schools are dropping music, art, and athletics, because they don't help the school with the standardized tests they must pass to continue with funding. A well rounded education in today's economic times is an oxymoron.

Even at the community colleges, they are cutting so many classes, students are having difficulty meeting graduation requirements, and must wait for another semester to get a class they need.

The choices get slimmer for all students.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 06:44 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
You would have enjoyed the discussion on the Harvard alum writers' site
about how many Harvard grads were reduced to reading Tarot cards for a
living.

The successful B-School grads do pretty much the same thing.
They just dress better.
plainoldme

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 08:27 am
@George,
I enjoyed that!
talk72000

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 06:20 pm
@plainoldme,
GWB certainly didn't help Harvard as he screwed up the economy so badly and thus sullied the reputation of the University.

I think it is more related to the profession as to whether you land a high paying job. Ivy League credentials would certainly help in that area. Also where one decides to live determines one's income. However, I am surprized about your situation. I think maybe there has been a glut of English majors and with so many chasing after the limited positions lowers the pay rate.
talk72000

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 06:27 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Anyone in your family looking at Ivy league?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 11:06 pm
@talk72000,
I didn't major in English at Harvard. I majored in something worse, but, then I disagree with college-as-career-training. My degree is in Celtic Languages and Literatures.

I had hoped to do the writing H is famous for and go into publishing. I was 50 when I graduated. Book publishing discriminates against people who are more than 30.

I know someone with a doctorate from the Divinity School who is a cashier at Stop and Shop.
talk72000

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 12:33 pm
@plainoldme,
It seems that obscure courses with only marginal interest in the whole population are for the independently rich i.e. the upper class who must find something to do.
George

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 01:57 pm
@talk72000,
I don't think that "obscure courses" are only for the independently rich
upper class only. If you have a job and can afford tuition, why not study
something you really like?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 02:16 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
I know someone with a doctorate from the Divinity School who is a cashier at Stop and Shop.

a report was recently released in Canada about education/employment

30% of cashiers have a Bachelor's level degree

~~~~~

edit:

somewhere in here (I need to search for the right report)

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/dai-quo/index-eng.htm
plainoldme

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 02:22 pm
@ehBeth,
I am not surprised.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 12:59 am
A degree from an Ivy League schools stands out in a resume, and if there are many applicants for a particular job, the degree from Harvard, Princeton, Columbia et al is probably enough to get you through the first cut, and at least an interview.

Obviously, just any Ivy League degree is not a ticket to a high paying entry level position with a major firm.

MBAs from Wharton and Harvard provide a material advantage, as do Ivy League law degrees.

I'm pretty sure your resume will be noticed if you have a degree from non-Ivy League schools like Duke, Stanford, MIT, University of Chicago and Rice (to name but several).

Typically, each state has a premier school or two that has excellent cache within its boundaries and provides the advantage of a powerful network of successful alumni.

For instance in North Carolina, a degree from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (a State school that routinely is listed among the best universities in the nation) probably provides a greater advantage to someone seeking a job in NC, than a degree from Duke, but then Duke grads tend to not remain in the state.

A degree from a prestigious school will help you get an interview, but as others have already pointed out, it won't ensure you get the job or keep it.

I suppose that if the three final candidates for a position are considered essentially equal in qualifications, more times than not the company will break the tie based on where the candidates went to school.

Of course, it's very unusual for such "ties" to occur and so the ultimate value of an Ivy League degree is questionable.

If the cost isn't going to burden you for the first 20 years of your working life then it makes sense to go to a prestigious school, if only for bragging rights.

The employment niche for which an Ivy League degree has any real significance is rather narrow.

Entrepreneurs, the folks who have the only chance at making billions, really don't need any degree.

The folks, who pursue careers that ensure that they will be a permanent member of the middle class, need a degree more than an entrepreneur, but they don't need one from a prestigious school.

Professionals, like lawyers and doctors will likely benefit from Ivy League degrees, as will those who embark on a career in the corporate world that they hope will take them to C-Level positions.

I have no personal experience in this realm, but from what I have read I suspect that the science and engineering elites like MIT and Cal Tech provide not only prestige but a superior education (unlike their brethren who specialize in softer subjects).

In any case, the days when having a university degree really signifies something meaningful about a person are long gone, and in some ways this is not so bad a thing.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 08:36 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Agreeing.
0 Replies