A dying message from Hitchens an American Atheist

wayne

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 08:50 pm
@failures art,
I think we both know that there is no winning or losing to the god argument.
Nobody knows for certain either way.

Quote:

Identified as a champion of the "New Atheism" movement, Hitchens describes himself as an antitheist and a believer in the philosophical values of the Enlightenment. Hitchens says that a person "could be an atheist and wish that belief in god were correct," but that "an antitheist, a term I’m trying to get into circulation, is someone who is relieved that there’s no evidence for such an assertion."[12] He argues that the concept of god or a supreme being is a totalitarian belief that destroys individual freedom, and that free expression and scientific discovery should replace religion as a means of teaching ethics and defining human civilization. He wrote at length on atheism and the nature of religion in his 2007 book God Is Not Great.

He argues against the concept of god, then argues for free expression.
What free expression, if you can't have a concept of god?
That's no better than what religion has done.
Antitheist sounds like a movement to stamp out god belief.
wayne

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 08:57 pm
@BillRM,
I can go along with that. I don't think a god belief should stop us from seeking explanations. That is the nature of religion ( apparently) but I don't believe the god concept need obstruct human advancement.
failures art

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 10:03 pm
@wayne,
wayne wrote:

I think we both know that there is no winning or losing to the god argument.

Nonsense. There is no special privilege for this argument. You'd not say that there is no winning or losing to the unicorn argument. You're promoting a false dichotomy. It's not gods v no-gods; it's natural v supernatural governance. Competing beliefs should both be stated in positive terms.

The racer representing the supernatural doesn't even step on the racetrack. There's only no winner, if you frame this in a logically false way. You don't prove negatives (read: no-god), you defend things in the affirmative.

wayne wrote:

Nobody knows for certain either way.

Such a vacant statement. We can base our views on what knowledge we have, or we can base our views on what we don't know. Hiding behind the impossibility of 100% certainty is total crap. You don't apply such standards elsewhere in your life, nobody does.

wayne wrote:
Quote:

Identified as a champion of the "New Atheism" movement, Hitchens describes himself as an antitheist and a believer in the philosophical values of the Enlightenment. Hitchens says that a person "could be an atheist and wish that belief in god were correct," but that "an antitheist, a term I’m trying to get into circulation, is someone who is relieved that there’s no evidence for such an assertion."[12] He argues that the concept of god or a supreme being is a totalitarian belief that destroys individual freedom, and that free expression and scientific discovery should replace religion as a means of teaching ethics and defining human civilization. He wrote at length on atheism and the nature of religion in his 2007 book God Is Not Great.

He argues against the concept of god, then argues for free expression.

Correct.

wayne wrote:

What free expression, if you can't have a concept of god?

Your obviously not familiar with his writing. The question is how you can have free expression with a belief in god. If you believe that a god not only see all your actions but is also knows your thoughts without your permission, you are incapable of free expression.

Hitchens' does not advocate religion be made illegal, so I think you miss the bar with "can't have a concept of god" criticism.

wayne wrote:

That's no better than what religion has done.

Sure it is. Religion actually actually has been successful at multiple points in history (including now) at varying degrees to establish religious privilege and restrict people's right to resist their rules.

wayne wrote:

Antitheist sounds like a movement to stamp out god belief.

I think Hitchens would agree, although your use of "stamp out" seems to suggest something about how you think he believes that takes place.

I think Hitchens is more than confident that rational discourse is more than enough, and has has battled to let atheistic challenges to religious doctrine be heard.

A
R
T
BillRM

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 10:10 pm
@wayne,
Quote:
That is the nature of religion ( apparently) but I don't believe the god concept need obstruct human advancement.

Sorry human history does not support you stand that a god belief system and the religion belief systems that go along with it does not by it very nature interfere with human understanding of the universe.

When you can wave your hands and state we can never understand a first cause but there is one then there is little reason to pursue trying to understanding the beginning of the universe.

There was no reason why a Greek or a Roman could not had done the same kind of work as Franklin did concerning static electric and lightening and the connection between them however lightening was already explained by ways of the gods.

Hell there was resistant to mounting Franklin lighting rods on churches towers because the attitude that lightening was a tool of god still was hanging on as late as Franklin days

And of course there were Galileo and others needing to risk their lives over new theories of the solar system.

Another example would be evolution and the age of the earth two related subjects still being fought over on this very website by people willing to defense their faith over human understanding of the Universe.

wayne

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 10:40 pm
@failures art,
Quote:
Nonsense. There is no special privilege for this argument. You'd not say that there is no winning or losing to the unicorn argument. You're promoting a false dichotomy. It's not gods v no-gods; it's natural v supernatural governance. Competing beliefs should both be stated in positive terms.

I don't have a problem with using positive terms.
I don't believe in unexplainable magic either, if that's what supernatural means.
If there is a god, I'm sure he/she/it will turn out to be perfectly natural.

Quote:
Such a vacant statement. We can base our views on what knowledge we have, or we can base our views on what we don't know. Hiding behind the impossibility of 100% certainty is total crap. You don't apply such standards elsewhere in your life, nobody does.

We apply those standards every day, it's called the realm of possibility.

Quote:
Your obviously not familiar with his writing. The question is how you can have free expression with a belief in god. If you believe that a god not only see all your actions but is also knows your thoughts without your permission, you are incapable of free expression.

Knowing and seeing my thoughts isn't the same as controling them.

Quote:
I think Hitchens is more than confident that rational discourse is more than enough, and has has battled to let atheistic challenges to religious doctrine be heard.

I'm all for rational discourse.

wayne

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 11:29 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Sorry human history does not support you stand that a god belief system and the religion belief systems that go along with it does not by it very nature interfere with human understanding of the universe.

Why the insistence on linking all god belief to religious systems?
It may be that you don't hear about all the people with personal god beliefs, not related to religion. They don't cause any trouble, or interfere with science.

All the examples you've given involve interference by organised religion.

I don't have a problem saying that religion has, and continues, to interfere with human progress.
I disagree that god belief is necessarily religious.

I find it quite easy to have faith in god without claiming knowledge of said god, my knowledge is only of said god's creation. That knowledge is always fluid and open to change.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 01:32 am
It's probably not a good requiem, but the only thing that I really remember about Hitchens, other than the fact he was not on speaking terms with his brother, was that he used to insult people by saying they looked like fat lesbians. Which when you think about it is quite ironic. because he looked like a fat lesbian.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 02:48 am
@wayne,
Quote:
Why the insistence on linking all god belief to religious systems?
It may be that you don't hear about all the people with personal god beliefs, not related to religion. They don't cause any trouble, or interfere with science.

Why would anyone support spending resources looking into the beginning of the universe it that person believe that such an event is part of a first cause that is unknowable by mankind?

When you can wave your hands in the air and get results that meet your requirements why would you support the hard work to find information using the scientific method?

A believe in magic by it very nature is the enemy of science and reason.
wayne

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 03:07 am
@BillRM,
Why not?
Who said anything about believing in magic.
That is another link to religious systems. God belief isn't exclusive to religious systems.
I think Einstien was inclined to believe in the possibility of god, wasn't he?
From what I've read, there are a lot of scientists with god beliefs.
The facts don't support you're contention.
Simply, all scientists are not atheist.
BillRM

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 03:18 am
@wayne,
Quote:
I think Einstien was inclined to believe in the possibility of god, wasn't he?

Einstein was not a believer in a personal god or any unknowable areas because of a first cause concept such as your.

He was consider an atheist and attack as such during his life time.

Only generations after his death are the religion people trying to claim him as one of their own.

Quote:
Simply, all scientists are not atheist

Most scientists are non-believers by any normal meaning to the term as Einstein was a non-believer in the normal everyday meaning of that term.

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 03:22 am
I do not accept that a belief in god is inherently irrational, that's foolish. Many people believe in god as prime mover, and that is as rational as any other belief, including belief in scientific propositons which cannot be unquestionably demonstrated. I don't happen to subscribe to that, but that surely doesn't mean that it is irrational. For someone who believes in god as prime mover, there is no conflict the the "big bang" concept, nor any scientific concept which succeeds from it.

We really can't reasonably assert irrationality until the point at which silly, puerile human conceit intervenes in the form of claims that we are made in a god's image and that god has nothing better to do with his/her/its omnipotent and omniscient time than to sit around watching the fall of every sparrow and toting up our sins against us. Whereas one might argue that most human descriptions of god have been irrational, it is specious to suggest that any and all concepts of a god are ipso fatso, sozyeroldman, irrational.
BillRM

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 03:24 am
@wayne,
Keep in mind that they also need to live in this society with family and friends who are likely to be religion.

http://pewforum.org/Science-and-Bioethics/Scientists-and-Belief.aspx

survey of scientists who are members of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, conducted by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press in May and June 2009, finds that members of this group are, on the whole, much less religious than the general public.1 Indeed, the survey shows that scientists are roughly half as likely as the general public to believe in God or a higher power. According to the poll, just over half of scientists (51%) believe in some form of deity or higher power; specifically, 33% of scientists say they believe in God, while 18% believe in a universal spirit or higher power. By contrast, 95% of Americans believe in some form of deity or higher power, according to a survey of the general public conducted by the Pew Research Center in July 2006. Specifically, more than eight-in-ten Americans (83%) say they believe in God and 12% believe in a universal spirit or higher power. Finally, the poll of scientists finds that four-in-ten scientists (41%) say they do not believe in God or a higher power, while the poll of the public finds that only 4% of Americans share this view.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 03:25 am
@Setanta,
Any firmly held believe system with zero proof is by it nature irrational.
Setanta

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 03:30 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Most scientists are non-believers by any normal meaning to the term as Einstein was a non-believer in the normal everyday meaning of that term.

Leaving aside that this is not a reasonable objection to Wayne's assertion that not all scientists are atheists, you contradict yourself in your very next post:

BillRM wrote:
Finally, the poll of scientists finds that four-in-ten scientists (41%) say they do not believe in God or a higher power, while the poll of the public finds that only 4% of Americans share this view.

A quaint wording, which can also read that 59% of scientists say that they do believe in god or a higher power. So you've not only failed to adequately respond to Wayne's objection, you contradicted your own claim to an extent which ought to embarrass you; if you were actually paying attention to the meaning of what you wrote, which, given your track record here, i doubt.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 03:31 am
@BillRM,
So you think, then, that scientists who are attempting to work out quantum mechanics, string theory, etc. are irrational. You really don't think about what you're writing before you post it.
wayne

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 03:36 am
@BillRM,
I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings. (Albert Einstein)

Einstein was a pantheist.

Spinoza asserted that for a concept of god to make any sense at all, it must simply be nature. That is, god cannot be something outside nature that controls it, but must necessarily be part of it. According to Spinoza, God IS nature.

Quote:

What's a normal meaning to the term? If you don't tie all god belief to religion.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 03:42 am
@wayne,
wayne wrote:

Quote:

I don't have a problem with using positive terms.

Good. Then in using positive terms, explain how there can be no winner or loser, or for that matter multiple losers in that there are an infinite amount of wrong assertions.

wayne wrote:

I don't believe in unexplainable magic either, if that's what supernatural means.

Magic is a word we should avoid. At one point lightning was considered magic.

wayne wrote:

If there is a god, I'm sure he/she/it will turn out to be perfectly natural.

Yes, and like the lightning, god wont be a god anymore than lightning ever was magic.

In other words, it's not a greater understanding of lightning proved that magic was real, but rather that magic has nothing to do with it.

wayne wrote:

Quote:

We apply those standards every day, it's called the realm of possibility.

Sure, if we grab a lottery ticket and scratch. The difference being that people have actually won the lottery.

Would you purchase UFO abduction insurance? How does the "realm of possibility" factor here? Is the possibility lesser or greater than the existence of god(s)? Provide your reasoning.

wayne wrote:

Quote:

Knowing and seeing my thoughts isn't the same as controling them.

Unless your expression is solitude or silence. In that case, you are helpless and your mental sovereignty is violated.

wayne wrote:

Quote:

I'm all for rational discourse.

Good.

A
R
T
failures art

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 03:51 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I do not accept that a belief in god is inherently irrational, that's foolish. Many people believe in god as prime mover, and that is as rational as any other belief, including belief in scientific propositons which cannot be unquestionably demonstrated. I don't happen to subscribe to that, but that surely doesn't mean that it is irrational.

Sure, I can think of scientific propositions based on nothing at all. I can dream up imaginary particles based on nothing whatsoever. That would definitely be irrational thinking. However, this is a gross misrepresentation of what even the most exotic scientific theories often have. What example of an unquestionable inability to demonstrate do you have in mind? I believe that most accepted theories if not directly demonstratable by human limitations of tooling, measurement, or even simply the passage of time compared to the human lifespan have at some level demonstratable support. I'd expect certainly that the premises said theories are built on are demonstratable even if the larger theory is not.

How do you put this on rational par with the belief in god(s)?

A
R
T
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 03:55 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

So you think, then, that scientists who are attempting to work out quantum mechanics, string theory, etc. are irrational. You really don't think about what you're writing before you post it.

How would his statement rule out these things? These theories may not be demonstratable by themselves, but are still built on theories which are.

A
R
T
Setanta

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 04:18 am
@failures art,
Bill has said that any belief system with zero proof is irrational. That excludes any science which lacks the normal proofs of theory. String theory is actually hypothesis and not theory. It is not subject to replication nor falsification. In the terms of Bill's statement it is not subject to proof and is therefore irrational. Pointing out that it is based on accepted theories doesn't change that.