Ammonia-based Adhesive Remover?

Miller

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 07:20 am
Does anyone know if Sprayway-Multi-purpose Adesive Remover is ammonia-based?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 3,023 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 07:52 am
@Miller,
http://www.spraywayinc.com/downloads/msds/sw894.pdf

The Material Safety Data Sheet (your tax dollars at work) doesn't list ammonia in the contents.

Joe(watch your eyes though)Nation
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 07:58 am
@Miller,
I have no idea about that particular brand but the chemistry seems wrong.

Ammonia is not something i would suggest as an adhesive remover.

Solvents like acetone, alcohol, citrus oil, white spirits are all good adhesive removers, of course a lot depends on the adhesive itself.
dadpad

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 08:00 am
@dadpad,
Per Joe's post
Limonene is a naturally occoring plant oil extrcted from orange peel (amongst other sources).
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 09:20 am
The adhesive in question is the backing on a tinted film for my windows.
farmerman

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 11:44 am
@Miller,
This seems to be pressure released? (MSDS has two gases under pressure) the limonene and ethers.
I could use this stuff in my potato cannons
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 07:17 pm
@Miller,
Last summer we had to remove some old tinting from the living room windows before replacing it. The only thing that seemed to release it was a bottle of stuff from the manufacturer of the new tinting (at Home Depot). You just sponged it on the tinting and waited a few minutes before being able to scrape it off with a putty knife. I don't recall it having much of an odor to it. It had similar viscosity and properties as diluted dish soap.

farmerman

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 07:26 pm
@Butrflynet,
If its from 3M its a mixture of complex esters (which are fatty acids that have the gkycerine removed). Some of them are really odorless and others are really strong (diesel fuel is a complex ester)
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 08:22 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Did the installation not work out?
Miller

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 05:42 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

Last summer we had to remove some old tinting from the living room windows before replacing it. The only thing that seemed to release it was a bottle of stuff from the manufacturer of the new tinting (at Home Depot). You just sponged it on the tinting and waited a few minutes before being able to scrape it off with a putty knife. I don't recall it having much of an odor to it. It had similar viscosity and properties as diluted dish soap.

That's interesting since the solution for applying the tinted sheets to the window consists of dish detergent dispersed in plain tap water.

Other sites have said to use concentrated ammonia to remove the tinted sheet. I want to avoid ammonia thats concnetrated...too toxic on my lungs.
Miller

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 05:44 am
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:

Miller wrote:

Did the installation not work out?

I'm getting ready to do it, but before I apply the sheets I want to be sure I know how to remove them if need be.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 06:51 am
@Miller,
Good old soap and water will do it, just slower. So will non-ammoniated Windex.
It will just take time.

Joe(one square foot at a time.)Nation
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 07:39 am
Thanks to everyone for their very valuable information. Very Happy
0 Replies