interpretation of a simple phrase

bubu

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 02:23 am
The simple poem below has a a few phrases which I find difficult to interpret. Can anyone help?

the daily going out
and coming in
alwayes being hurried
along
like like..cattle
in the evenings
returning from the fields
she tried very hard
pulling her self erect
whith every7 three or four
steps
pulling her self together
holding her self like
royal cane
and the overseer
hurrying them along
in the quickening darkness
and the overseer sneering
them along in the quickening
darkness
sneered at the pathetic
the pathetic display
of dignity
o but look
there's a waterpot growing
from her head
1. pathetic display of dignity [can someone describe what it is]
2. Sneer [does it mean scorn or jeer or frown. A little description refering to the poem may help me understand the word better]
3. water pot growing from the head certainly refers to balance but how can I relate balance to the context of the poem?
4. royal cane [ what does the simile suggest]

Thank you in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,284 • Replies: 3
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 02:54 am
@bubu,
The display of dignity is pathetic because it arouses feelings of sadness in the poet....because of the awful circumstances in which the woman maintains her dignity.

The overseer is sneering to show contempt for the woman or for the slaves generally....it is interesting to wonder whether the woman's dignity forces him to see the fact of her humanity and courage and strength, and he sneers to try to shore up the convenient belief that the people he oversees are sub-human which he uses to protect himself from the horror of what he does?

A cane stands upright....the woman stands upright with dignity the poet sees as royal...or perhaps he is likening her to a cane that might be used by royalty (one thinks of a sceptre, I suppose?) Slaves were often used to work in fields of sugar cane.

I think the metaphor of the water pot growing from her head is a way of saying that the woman has retained the dignity and integrity of her roots in Africa....that she has refused to act submissively and has retained the essence of herself despite her awful situation.

fresco

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 03:46 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
I think the metaphor of the water pot growing from her head is a way of saying that the woman has retained the dignity and integrity of her roots in Africa....that she has refused to act submissively and has retained the essence of herself despite her awful situation.

Carrying a "water pot" is related to the upright posture.
dlowan

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 04:46 am
@fresco,
Yes, but think it more than that.
0 Replies