If you could have one servant...

ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 05:43 pm
Cluttered and dirty til Spring, yes, me too. I actually thrive on clutter, even though I also enjoy a clean countered state of being once in a while. But I don't really enjoy that unless all my clippings are filed, for example, and all the drawers/cabinets are organized. That happens once every few years.

But dusting and vacuuming, and washing windows, oh boy, I'd love help on that. In fact I'd like to disappear when it happens as I get all allergic from it.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 06:44 pm
Individual, I love a clean house, no doubt about it. But I hate housework which results in my home rarely being completely clean. The bathrooms and the kitchen may be clean but the living and dining rooms could use a good sweeping and dusting. The bedrooms may be clean but the den is a mess. It's a constant battle, neverending, and I'd just as soon have someone else do it. And find satisfaction elsewhere.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 07:06 pm
There has been a change, I think, from when I was younger.
A job as a maid was a coup for many living in stressful poverty, but cemented you into a frozen class level in the eyes of people "above" that. But I think the sixties broke some of that down. I have a friend here who has a housecleaning business, that is, she herself does it, no employees. She's an entrepreneur, and is happy. Sometimes she trades a day for a painting from some of our local artists... There isn't the presumed stratification that had such a foothold on society. Even the word servant... um, that bothers me personally. If I could afford it, it would be simply a job helping at my residence.

I don't know the ins and outs of social security issues, but I think long term people are considered employees and need to have soc security payments deducted - but also paid for.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 04:45 pm
There was a hoohaw a few years ago about that -- people in positions of power had undocumented employees (nannies, etc.) and weren't paying SS for them... By positions of power I mean Congresspeople, Cabinet members... I don't remember details, but those caught were quite embarassed, and I don't doubt that the same thing goes on today.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 04:54 pm
Yes, a woman in line for one of the clinton cabinet positions, Lannie Grenier? or a name like that..

Thing is, I don't know about whether a person is considered an employee with one day a week...
The trouble is, if this has to be taken out of the pay, often the hired person won't want it because of the lower income it means... which is why I was wishful thinking that that pay could be higher to incorporate that takeout, so that the worker wouldn't be "punished" for following employment rules.

But then fewer people would want to hire them, and so on.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 05:10 pm
A French maid. No question.

http://stockingindex.com/galleries/alexus_french_maid/alfm034.jpg
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 05:16 pm
I sure hope you have that womans' permission to post her photo. Unless, of course, that's you????
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 05:32 pm
eoe, I'm quite sure she's more than happy for the "exposure". Wink
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 05:35 pm
You ARE bad!
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 02:48 am
Not bragging or anything, but I already have a maid, a (part time) cook, a handyman and a PA (only for office work though)

Since I have quit drinking, even a chauffeur is not needed, and I love driving anyways.

A butler who doubles up as a sex servant (male ofcourse) would be most welcome methinks....
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 10:07 am
Good for you, G!

I have someone who does housecleaning every other week. My husband does most of the cooking and is an excellent handyman (and no need for a sex servant, either!) And I am very organized, so a personal assistant isn't necessary. I've had someone clean my house for about ten years now, and no matter how many sacrifices I have to make, I will continue to pay someone else to do this!!!

BTW, glad to hear you're cutting back on the cigarettes & alcohol...you'll live longer! And we want you around as long as possible!!!...(Big Hug!)
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 10:10 am
Natalie and I had a maid and gardner, but can't afford servants now that we're retired ... though Corazon is more than four times as large as our previous homes.

Ideally, give me a Gentleman's Gentleman. A butler who can run the establishment with whatever is available. I just can't picture myself as Berty Wooster, but how fortunate he was to have Jeeves to take care of him.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 02:29:19