Question for Buddhists

Eorl

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 07:01 am
So I want to learn some more about the teachings, in particular, good practices for mindfulness and meditation. I've been a bit of a closet buddhist for many years having read Sogyal Rinpoche, but struggled with some of the more esoteric beliefs.

I have a buddhist temple(?) within walking distance of my house (Mahāyāna - Amitabha Buddhist Association of Queensland.) I also know some Korean Buddhists. What's my best approach initially? Do I just rock up in jeans and a t-shirt at 5:30 am and try to look inconspicuous, do I ask my Korean friends?

All advice welcome, thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,136 • Replies: 8
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 02:06 pm
You can "rock up" there - at a more reasonable hour - and ask when their next lecture series begins.

That's a good place to begin.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 07:57 pm
@Eorl,
If you indicate to either group that you want a group (sangha) to meditate with you will undoubtedly be very welcome. Mahayan buddhists do not proselytize, but they are always very welcoming. I'll be very curious to see how that works out for you. I remember you, Eorl, from time past, and (being a Mahayana buddhist myself) I'm very confident you'll be welcome.
Eorl

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 05:02 am
@JLNobody,
Thanks JL. I will let you know how I go.

Punkey, 5:30am was the time I saw listed for the..ummm.. daily services? I thought maybe that was the done thing.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 08:03 am
There is also a ton of utube lectures concerning Buddhist perspective on a variety of subjects.
Eorl

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 09:02 pm
@PUNKEY,
Yes, thanks. I guess I could "learn" karate the same way, but I enjoy my RL lessons more.
I suppose I'm looking for a more human and participatory experience than digesting youtube snatches at work.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 11:24 pm
@Eorl,
go over there, talk with them. (I'm not a buddhist ..) I am a fan of JLN.
Eorl

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 12:08 am
@ossobuco,
Yeah me too. Smile
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 02:32 am
@Eorl,
Quote:
do I ask my Korean friends?

I'd go phone a friend first on this question then the 50/50 (if needed), you didn't mention the prize but i can tell it's a quiz.
0 Replies