Statistics Problem

ucigal

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 05:35 pm
Would someone please help me figure out the following problems:
Here are the data on nitrogen content, in parts per million, for a sample of 12 diamonds:
273, 94, 69, 262, 120, 302, 75, 242, 115, 65, 311, 61, 311, 61,

1. What is the numerical value of the median nitrogen content for this sample of diamonds? Give your answer rounded to 1 decimal place without typing the units.

2. What is the numerical value of the mean nitrogen content for this sample of diamonds? Give your answer rounded to 1 decimal place without typing the units.

3. What is the numerical value of the standard deviation of the nitrogen content for this sample of diamonds? Give your answer rounded to 1 decimal place without typing the units.

Thanks!

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,847 • Replies: 7
No top replies

engineer

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 05:46 pm
@ucigal,
1: The median is the middle value if you sort them from low to high. Since you have an even number of samples, you will have two middle values. Take the average of them

2: The mean is the average. Add up the twelve numbers and divide by 12.

3: The standard deviation calculation is best done with a spreadsheet program like Excel or Open Office, but some calculators can do it or you can use this formula where x bar is the mean you calculated in step 2.
ucigal

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 07:44 pm
@engineer,
Thanks engineer!!
Would like to bother you with another question.
In a class of 100 students, the grades on an Accounting test are summarized in the following frequency table.

Grade Frequency
91–100 11

81–90 31

71–80 42

61–70 16

The median grade

A. cannot be located for sure in any of these intervals.
B. is located in between two intervals.
C. is located in the 91–100 interval.
D. is located in the 71–80 interval.
E. is located in the 61–70 interval.
F. is located in the 81–90 interval.

Thanks again!!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 08:02 pm
Quote:
1: The median is the middle value if you sort them from low to high.

It seems to me now that engineer has given you the tip that you really out to be able to nut this out on your own.
tell you what you have a think about it post what you think is the answer and we'll tell you if thats correct.
Doing things this way excercises your mind and thats a really important thing. It's kinda like doing stretches befpre playing sport.
ucigal

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 08:19 pm
@dadpad,
FYI, I already had the correct answers, just wanted confirmation. Going forward, I will post what I think are the correct answers to my problems and ask for verification. If you are answering any of my posts, I would appreciate it if you could improve your grammar. I had to read your post several times over before figuring out what you were trying to say. Best regards
dadpad

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 08:33 pm
@ucigal,
sorry . about . that . I'll . be . sure. to . not . waste . your . time . anymore.

That's the print version of me speaking slowly...just in case you had a hard time comprehending what i was saying.

ucigal

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 08:24 pm
@dadpad,
You're now sounding like a troll that likes to dish out criticism but cannot accept it. If I was making fun of your grammar, I would have said your grammar sounded like my stats professor speaking.
0 Replies

Oylok

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 06:56 pm
@ucigal,
To dadpad, ucigal wrote:

FYI, I already had the correct answers, just wanted confirmation. Going forward, I will post what I think are the correct answers to my problems and ask for verification.

Please don't. Please don't post anything on this site again.

(But if you absolutely must, then please do so from the "ucigal" account, which I am now putting on Ignore so that I won't have look at another thing you write.)

Quote:
If you are answering any of my posts, I would appreciate it if you could improve your grammar. I had to read your post several times over before figuring out what you were trying to say.

Funny ... I had no such difficulty with dadpad's post.

Quote:

You're now sounding like a troll that likes to dish out criticism but cannot accept it.

He sounds like nothing of the kind.

But I guess to someone living in your bizarro world where the filth you spew sounds like wisdom, maybe he would sound that way.

Quote:
If I was making fun of your grammar, I would have said your grammar sounded like my stats professor speaking.

So you lash out at pretty much anyone in a position to help you?
(Not just at DP but at your profs as well?)

Figures. Rolling Eyes

(Irvine is an AAU school, too. I weep for the future.)
0 Replies