BillRM

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 04:57 pm
@saab,
Quote:
Most wars which have taken place in the Western world in the last few centuries have been about politics, land and power and not about religion.
WW1, WW2, Russian revolution, the German-French war, The Spanish war, Prussia-Denmark1 and 2, Napoleon, Sweden against Denmark and Russia, Sweden and Russia and many more.

The same thing can be said concerning the middle east so what is your point?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 05:13 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Perhaps it might be fair at this point to state that the resources you are mostly referring to would be worthless to anyone if it was not for the technology and the science developed by the West in th last two hundreds years.

Quite right ! Good tribal thinking in line with our genetic programming ! Laughing
Cyracuz

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 06:09 pm
I am not sure I see the problem with "human rights".
gungasnake

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 06:29 pm
@Cyracuz,
Quote:
I am not sure I see the problem with "human rights".

You won't looking at Christianity, that's looking in the wrong place for it.

Again you can read about slavery in the Christian world but you have to open a history book to do it. You can read about slavery in the muslim world by opening the classified ad section of a muslim newspaper under 'S'.
Cyracuz

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 07:00 pm
@gungasnake,
I'm not looking for it there. It was mentioned that "humans rights" might be a problematical concept in itself, and I don't see quite why.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 07:27 pm
@fresco,
Quote:
Quite right ! Good tribal thinking in line with our genetic programming

You seem to wish have it both ways crying about the evil small percent of the world population ie tribe using the bulk of the "resources " and yet when it is pointed out that these resources was worthless until that "tribe" developed the means to turn them into worthwhile resources you start crying about being tribal.

So you comment in the first place as not tribal but mine happen to had been??????

fresco

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 11:42 pm
@BillRM,
My attitude to all religions (and nationalism) are that they are cognitive correlates of our genetic dispositions towards tribalism. They are logically arbitrary in their form, but have local cultural etiology. In short, they are the myths which reify the social structures and activities of cognate primates who will inevitably compete with each other.

As with all animal behavior, it makes little sense to give value judgements on the matter. It's the cross we all have to bear ( Wink ) for being "thinkers" with a pre-occupation with concepts like "control of our destiny".
0 Replies

MommyAnt

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 01:58 am
@maxdancona,
The "ANCIENT" believe that "women are far inferior to men".... is not just limit to one religion or one race ... this is widely so across many religion/race in "ancient" time ... of course even in modern days there's a few PIG lurking regardless of religion/race ...

I would think HUMAN RIGHT should take presedence.
failures art

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 07:28 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
Most wars which have taken place in the Western world in the last few centuries have been about politics, land and power and not about religion.

Depends on who is talking and who is being asked. While I agree that almost all wars reduce to land grab or some other natural resource, that motive is mostly reserved to the monarch, aristocrats, or plutocratic elite. Religion is the glue used for the commoner. Certainly Sun Tzu thought so when he wrote about the importance of convincing your soldiers that they had a moral cause and that religion aided with this. Point being, you ask the grunts why they are fighting what their cause is, and you'll always get some moralistic response, but I think after a couple dozen centuries of documented history we should know better by now.

Religion does deserve credit for war though. It's not off the hook if it happened a long time ago. Those events have shaped the world as it is today. Such dismissal is foolish. If one religious galvanization breeds resentment of those who you conquer and gives rise to whole new religions hell bent on returning the favor. I acknowledge the motive of war is economics, but religion still acts as the prime means to manipulate people into waging it for the benefit of an elite few.

To say modern Christianity and modern Christians have nothing to do with the wars being fought right now is naive.

A
R
T
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 10:00 am
@MommyAnt,
Quote:
I would think HUMAN RIGHT should take presedence

Human rights are fine in societies that happen to not exist from day to day on the edge of doom.

When you have small tribes where either mother nature and or other humans can destroy you with just one bad event you do not give a **** about human rights.

Women is their role of breeders are far more valuable then men and need to be protected at all cost for the future of the tribe however they are not putting their rear ends on the line in battle or hunting and the logic is therefore they should have no say in the life and death matters that the men deal with.

They are look upon more as very important property then as real people and one of the main goals of warfare is to take your enemies tribe women.

Footnote see in the bible Moses ordering all the women and children kill of an enemy tribe but for the young women/girls who had yet to know a man.
0 Replies