What are some quick ways to make your own comic book?

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 09:47 pm
@Aldistar,
That's why there is prayer and supplication. God gives me favor with people. Very Happy
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 07:54 pm
@Aldistar,
Do you know any quick ways to juggle more than one comic book at once? Stan Lee did that in the early days of Marvel Comics.
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 06:56 am
Draw one with your left hand, another with your right.
Sturgis

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 09:38 am
@MontereyJack,
and one with each foot.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 01:36 pm
Stan Lee created Spider-Man, Captain America, Fantastic Four, X-Men, the Hulk, Iron Man and some other major characters for Marvel and he wrote these books. How did he manage to work on more then one comic book series at once, especially when he was starting out?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 01:38 pm
He was a Type A workaholic. You clearly are not.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 06:20 pm
@JGoldman10,
Not really. You just have to get a strict schedule going and stick to it. The way most artists do it is to have 6 months to a year's worth of books or strips (depending on what format you want) complete before publishing and distributing the first one. That way they have a big cushion of time to continue working and stay caught up. The average speed of a good comic artist is one to two pages a day in final pencils. Inking is probably about two maybe three a day and coloring by hand is probably one. Sometimes you can hit a good stride and belt out more, but just as much you will encounter a block and dawdle on one page for a day or two.

Another trade secret a lot of the big guys have (like Stan the Man) are ghost artists. They hire other people to draw all the back grounds or all of the buildings and then they go in and just draw the main characters and go over it to make it look co-hesive. It's the same with some book authors. The person who's name is on the book just makes a detailed outline and lets a group of underlings write the story in between. At the end they read it and edit it to make sure it fits their personal flavor and then send it out. That's how they get out so many books a year.

I actually got to work as a ghost artist on a comic by a very big name in comics, I drew all of the trucks, some one else drew all of the trees and backgrounds and some else drew all of the buildings. The man that got to put his name on the book came in at the end and drew all of the people and made sure everything was up to par and shipped it off to the printers. I got paid well and it was a ton of fun. Plus I got to work alongside one of my inpirations for going into comc book art.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 03:36 pm
@Aldistar,
How would you advise working on more than one comic if you are working on them simultaneously by yourself - if you are drawing AND writing them?
Aldistar

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 12:45 pm
@JGoldman10,
Then you need to just set a schedule and stick to it. I would pencil the whole thing, then ink and letter it and then color it. There really is no way to make it any faster.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 03:11 pm
@Aldistar,
Thank you for responding. What about scripting?
Questioner

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 03:24 pm
@JGoldman10,
Have you actually drawn anything yet? Let's see it!
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 03:45 pm
@JGoldman10,
Yes, you will need to have a script.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 08:22 pm
@JGoldman10,
Make an out line that is over arching a particular storyline. Break that up into the number of books you think it will take to tell that story and then flesh out each of those to a final script. Don't draw any pages until you have all of the scripting done for that book, othewise you will waste time on re-drawing your edits.
0 Replies