Why are new textbooks so expansive???

BillRM

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 12:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The problem is when text books go electronic in a big way as no matter what level of anti-copying protection are added college students will bypass them when you are talking about thousands of dollars.
0 Replies

TuringEquivalent

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 02:01 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

TuringEquivalent wrote:

Really? Is this your final answer?

You should read your title of the thread a little more carefully and re-evaluate my answer

Cycloptichorn

You must be ******* joking, right? Do you happen to be a Zen master where you say some profound truth with the least amount of words, and I am suppose to guess what the **** you mean? No thanks.
TuringEquivalent

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 02:12 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
I don 't think this would explain why some lower division economics, or science classes textbooks cost so much
I wouldnt know about economics but introductory texts in my field are equally incorporating new information. However, I looked up a couple of Historical and Physical GEolog texts and have found that the costs of these are less subject to price increases. There is a classical Phys Geo text that had cost about 30 dollars when I was a student and costs about 5o dollars today.

If the book is old, particularly famous, not being printed, then it is likely the cost will increase. This is only possible in very special situations.

What I am taking about are the price different between the newest edition, and 1, or 2 previous edition of the same book. For example, I just bought a first edition book for 2 dollars, and the third generation cost about 116 dollars. This is a very big difference.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 02:24 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
You misspelled what it is clear now that you meant, the word expensive. However, in the context of the question, you could have meant expansive instead of expensive. Cyclo caught on and was teasing you, and later trying to tell you why.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 02:25 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

TuringEquivalent wrote:

You should read your title of the thread a little more carefully and re-evaluate my answer

Cycloptichorn

You must be ******* joking, right? Do you happen to be a Zen master where you say some profound truth with the least amount of words, and I am suppose to guess what the **** you mean? No thanks.

You used the word expAnsive instead of the word expEnsive. The two words have a completely different meaning. I tried to point it out to you in a jocular fashion, but you didn't catch your mistake - twice.

You don't have to guess what I mean - if you know what words actually mean, which I am having doubts about at this point.

You're a moron and an asshole, Turing. Next time I'll just call you an idiot up front instead of trying to be nice.

Cycloptichorn
djjd62

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 04:09 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
the lack of humour and observation that some posters display never ceases to amaze me

life is too short, lighten up folks
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 04:15 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
by the by, the lighten up wasn't directed at you cyclo
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 04:19 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

by the by, the lighten up wasn't directed at you cyclo

Haha, it's cool. It could have been, and that would have been a valid thing to say.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 08:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I would have called it a captive audiance buying from a monopoly, but yeah, it's like that. Oh, and add that there is a limited production run.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 09:08 pm
@roger,
I'm not so sure about the limited production run, because many colleges use the same textbooks. When I went to Cal State Hayward, I was able to attend a micro-economics class at Berkeley with a friend, and they were teaching from the same textbook.
roger

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 09:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Okay, then. Smaller circulation than John Grisham.
roger

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 09:14 pm
@roger,
And, of course college textbooks are bound like they are supposed to last till the sun dies out - even though they are declared obsolete in two years.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 09:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Time for a new word, explansive....

Something that is explained and the purveyors try to explain more.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 11:15 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent wrote:

What I am taking about are the price different between the newest edition, and 1, or 2 previous edition of the same book. For example, I just bought a first edition book for 2 dollars, and the third generation cost about 116 dollars. This is a very big difference.

It sounds to me as if the first edition was a used book, which is priced by the college bookstore at a tremendous discount. The second edition was probably new.

Note that high school books are sold in great quantities to school districts, cities, and even states (Iowa and Texas). Postsecondary books are marketed and sold to professors or possibly departments. They are printed in much smaller runs.
0 Replies

TuringEquivalent

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 05:32 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

TuringEquivalent wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

TuringEquivalent wrote:

Cycloptichorn

You used the word expAnsive instead of the word expEnsive. The two words have a completely different meaning. I tried to point it out to you in a jocular fashion, but you didn't catch your mistake - twice.

You don't have to guess what I mean - if you know what words actually mean, which I am having doubts about at this point.

You're a moron and an asshole, Turing. Next time I'll just call you an idiot up front instead of trying to be nice.

Cycloptichorn

I did not notice it, sorry? Cycle, are a ******* prick. You whole ******* existence is about being ******* mysterious. People don 't necessarily have time for your hints, you ******* loser.
littlek

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 05:40 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
snort!
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 10:04 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
Quote:
I did not notice it, sorry? Cycle, are a ******* prick. You whole ******* existence is about being ******* mysterious. People don 't necessarily have time for your hints, you ******* loser.

You really should take the time Turing. If you don't have time to stop and laugh at yourself then life is going to be one long disappointment for you.
0 Replies