I usually view religions with equal amusement

raprap

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 08:57 am
Not being a practitioner of any religion I have seen Wiccans and pagans met with wraith of certain competing faiths. Could I believe that this prejudice could extend into the workplace---yes.

This situation deserves a hearing, a public one.

Rap

Quote:
Here's a situation for all you aspiring managers: If you were the boss at a U.S. government agency and one of your employees complained that she was afraid of a co-worker's religious practices, what would you do?

Would it change your decision if the religion were Wicca, and the employee feared her co-worker because she thought she might cast a spell on her?

Here's how the Transportation Security Administration handled it:

It fired the witch.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41959553/ns/business-us_business/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 748 • Replies: 5
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 09:00 am
@raprap,
interesting, i've had workers and co-workers say they'd pray for me, which frankly makes me uncomfortable, but hey what you gonna do
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 11:07 am
Oh man, i'd sue those stupid sons-of-bitches for a sum equivalent to the national debt. When i was in the United States Army, i listed my religious preference as "Druid." When i arrived at Ft. Eustis, Virginia, a civil service employee took "white out" and changed my 201 form to read "non-christian." When i saw what he had done, i found the officer in command of the section, and complained bitterly to him about it. He was not impressed with me, but he was genuinely angry with the civilian employee (who briefly ranted about the excellence of his "born-again" faith). Since more "white out" would have made entry illegible, he told the boy that if wanted to keep his job, he would retype the entire form 201, making sure to type "Druid" in the appropriate blank. It appeared on my dog tags, and when i was once subjeccted to administrative punishment and restricted to barracks, the JAg officer, as an afterthought, asked me about my religious preference. I told him, they called the orderly room, and were informed that my religious preference was listed as Druid. Therefore, by order of the JAG officer, while i was restricted to barracks, another soldier was required to accompany me to a grove of trees in a secluded spot every Saturday evening from sunset until dawn, for my "religious" observances.

I am really amazed that they got a way with this. This is meat for one hell of a law suit.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 11:15 am
That story is just incredible. That they even leant credence to the complaints of that fruitcake staggers me.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 11:29 am
Another military story.

On the sub we had a reactor operator who was a Satanist (or at least a faux Satanist.) Other than always asking for the night shift and being a bit goth, he was a satisfactory reactor operator. I remember the CO asking several of us in the wardroom if we thought his religion posed a risk to the reactor. We all looked at each other, said "no" and it never came up again.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 01:24 pm
Geez, just when I had thought of converting.. My dad used to have a Druid renter. He told me, I've never verified it, that Witches could write off 'ceremonial' beer on their taxes.
0 Replies