My New Marmoset Pet

Ganja

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 12:40 am
Hello ..
Just a couple of days ago, I met a guy who wanted to sell some sort of monkey. He got it off a family, who had both parent monkeys but decided to sell the offspring. It was rather expensive .. 4000 DHS which is equivelent to (around) 1100 US dollars. I dont know if they ripped me off but I have always wanted to get a pet monkey, so I dont really care.
.. now that I have one, I think its a big responsibilty. Below is a picture I got off the net. Mine looks exactly the same.
I have been told he was from the Geoldi's Marmoset species, but when I checked on the net, turns out those species were black, and the monkey I got is greyish brown. And the man told me the monkey was from South Africa .. which is also wrong, because then I found out they come from South America (Brazil) and not Africa. Apparently the guy that sold me the monkey didnt have a clue. He first told me they were called PocketMonkey .. seems like he made that up!
If any of you have tips or facts or ANYthing to share about this kind of monkeys please feel free! Can they be trained? - coz I have had it with him wetting my couch!- How can I find out how old he really is, whats the proper species name ..etc

Many Many thanks! Smile

http://www.suprmchaos.com/marmosets_092502.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,823 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 06:30 am
http://www.exoticpetvet.net/primate/care.html

Quote:
Marmosets and tamarins are small, South American monkeys that are members of the callitrichid family. All are considered threatened in the wild, and many are endangered. Because of their appeal, people are interested in owning them as pets. Hand-raised, bottle-fed babies are quite charming, but with the onset of sexual maturity, they become unpredictable, aggressive and dangerous to humans - including their owners. Consequently, people should be discouraged from keeping them as pets.

If a client is set on owning a callitrichid, however, he or she should be steered toward a tamarin instead of a marmoset, as they tend to have more stable personalities as adults and are not as aggressive or unpredictable

Whoops! Looks like you have a big responsibility on your hands. The article that I quoted gives lots of information on the care and feeding of marmosets. From what I read briefly, it looks like it is going to be a lot of work, and possible trouble in the future.

Are you sure that you don't want to donate the little fella to a zoo?
0 Replies

Ganja

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 04:34 am
Yes infact it is a big responsibilty to own a marmoset. Thanks for the link, it was very much helpful.
But I have owned exotic pets before, so I'm doing fine with the responsibilty.
It said that marmosets are clever and can be trained to defecate in a given area .. I just dont know how I can achieve that!

Thanks again!
0 Replies