wayne

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 05:19 pm
Geese can be real bastards that's for sure. When I was a little kid visiting the San Diego zoo, one chased me down and stole my hot dog.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 02:43 am
Canada geese have become the cockroaches of the avian world.
farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 05:10 am
@Setanta,
we do our part at removing some excess geese from the ecosystem. I used to invite hunters onto my land but since one of the bastards shot my cat, My cousin and his son do hunting here but we have season limits on geese unless I peteition for"nuisance goose" status for my farm.
Geese, Canadian and The SNow Variety are big crop destroyers. We plant rye fields in the fall, and they start sprouting just about the time the geese return for their winter stayovers. As e become more and more warm temperate, the geese are moving farter north for the winter. They are now wintering over in mid New Jersey and Northeastern Pa and thatwas unheard of 50 years ago. (Course the damn numbers are waay up too) SO the term cockroach is not unkind.
Except, I dont think that cockroaches are good to eat in my culture
wayne

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 07:50 am
@farmerman,
I had no idea they were wintering that far north. They've been doing it here for a long time.
I think if I could fly the last place I'd winter is Kansas. Silly geese.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 07:57 am
It is far more common for geese to bond cross species than I imagined. The morning news featured a video of one that adopted a cow.

I am only used to them in small numbers in a park. There are just five who come around when we go to feed the ducks. Sometimes they want to take the food too, but, since we quit giving bread, they honk at us, but stay back mostly.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 06:24 pm
@Green Witch,
Geese = winged pigs
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 02:54 am
I saw some Canada geese strolling around in my mother's housing development in the Bronx (many years ago). Stunned to see them there. Big wild boids walking around in da Bronx. It didn't fit.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 09:19 am
The five geese in our park are possibly just the right number. A group too small to become arrogant, but large enough for self protection. I saw that they lost their fear of at least one dog last week. The dog was able to approach them without incident. When they first arrived, there was one so skinny, old and frail-looking, I did not expect it to last long. But it has since filled out and is now just another member. It still has remnants of the original condition about the edges, which is how I continue to recognize it.
Ragman

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 11:10 am
@edgarblythe,
On the whole, 5 fat and sassy geese is often times like a bad nightmare. Give them time and watch how bold they get. Mark my words - they'll be brimming with confidence by mid-summer.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 07:03 pm
Crikey, that goose is aggressive! Surprised
Irishk posted this to Roberta's Beautiful animals thread.

Quote:
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01866/giraffe-goose_1866657i.jpg
Jasari, a six-year-old reticulated giraffe, dodges the advance of a Canada goose that was protecting its territory, at the Brookfield Zoo in Brookfield, Illinois.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 07:13 pm
@msolga,
In the book about WC Fields, written by his mistress, she describes him getting chased about his estate by a goose, on a regular basis. I think it was her book, anyway.
msolga

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 07:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
Now there's an image I'd love to see, edgar!
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 07:18 pm
@msolga,
Just thinking about it puts a vivid image in my mind.
msolga

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 07:19 pm
@edgarblythe,
I know! Laughing

That'd make for a terrific movie plot.
Goose vs WC Fields!
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 07:51 pm
@msolga,
They would need an unknown actor to portray Fields, I believe. On the other hand, with today's makeup tricks and special effects -
msolga

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 07:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
But it sounds like any number of Canadian geese could fill the other major role perfectly!
0 Replies