msolga

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 11:03 pm
@wayne,
Quote:
It's a pleasure to meet you also. I've always had a fascination with your oz.

Thank you.

Quote:
I agree that animals read humans pretty accurately. I'm not so sure that we are all that hard to read though. Your word, though, was tricky and yes we are that. The trick is that we are often too willing to believe what we want to hear. The predators and users of the world know too well how to appear kind and caring. Give me a blunt curmudgeonly type any day. Smile

I think we sometimes have trouble accurately reading ourselves, say nothing of others reading us accurately.
If you ask me, we are too complex, by far.
We are pulled in too many directions, by too many conflicting demands.
It can take a long time to know yourself really well (the good, the not-so-palatable, etc) And comfortably live with who we are, in all aspects of a human life.
It's taken me a long time, anyway.

In my next life I hope to be an otter. Smile
Or perhaps one of those geese?
The thought of such simplicity, the lack of all that human complexity, is very appealing.
It would make for a nice change, for a while.

wayne

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 11:15 pm
@msolga,
I understand exactly what you mean. I've only begun to understand myself and that's been a long process. It would be nice to be an otter for awhile sometimes Smile I do enjoy those moments of self discovery though.
The part I struggle with most is the mechanics and chemistry of it. I wish there were an instruction manual on what and when to eat and drink, by the time I get it sorted out I'll be dead. Otters probably get to have a pretty stable chemical balance.
msolga

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 01:04 am
@wayne,
Quote:
I do enjoy those moments of self discovery though.

So have I.
It's just that sometimes they happen at very inconvenient times. And it would be good if there was an "off" button sometimes. Wink
Quote:
The part I struggle with most is the mechanics and chemistry of it. I wish there were an instruction manual on what and when to eat and drink, by the time I get it sorted out I'll be dead.

Ah well, good luck with it, wayne.
You sound committed/determined enough to the process to get there well before then. Smile
Quote:
Otters probably get to have a pretty stable chemical balance.

Yeah.
Just look at this guy!
Wouldn't you just love his life?
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/34/111203875_0d552a39ec_m.jpg
msolga

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 01:11 am
@msolga,
We seem to have veered away from Goose loves Man quite a bit, edgar.
Sorry.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 01:15 am
@wayne,
Quote:
There was one goose, looked just like the one in the video, took a liking to me from day one.

Possibly a cereal offender.

I'd worry about old goose jumping in your lap wayne.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 04:30 am
The other morning, my little bird friend from last year flew down to about six feet from my feet, very excited and making sounds I interpret as a a happy greeting. We became close when I threw out all the junebugs that got in the pool skimmer, last summer. She had a daily feast. Other birds just like her gathered, but only she got that close to me.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 05:42 am
My father was a hunter, but he would never hunt goose because he knew how devoted they were to each other.
Ragman

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 10:23 am
@Green Witch,
<sniff> <nose-blowing honk>

Oops! Stepped into a knee-deep pile of goose-crap.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 11:18 am
@Green Witch,
Apart from extraordinary examples such as this, geese (and ganders, of course) are ill-tempered, mean and aggressive. As a child, when my grandfather would slaughter a goose, my interior reponse was "serves her right." They're nasty birds.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 11:52 am
@Setanta,
I watched a youtube yesterday, in which a goose kept getting into a boat, attacking a dog. The man onboard kept tossing it out, but it flew right back in. He roughed up the goose a time or two, but it didn't help. In the final scene, the boat was racing away at top speed.
Irishk

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 11:55 am
@edgarblythe,
That's funny!

Goose - 1
Speedboat - 0

After watching your video, though, and that special bond, I might have to give up poultry, too!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 12:00 pm
Irishk

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 12:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
That's hilarious!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 12:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'll tell ya, Boss, they're mean as hell . . .
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 12:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
Aahahaha. TYVM. That video was priceless. That's one-bad-assed goose!

The unreal part is that after the whole showdown, after the guy sped off in the boat, that goose was still wanting to duke it out further and STILL tried to catch up at the end of clip. The bird didn't care if it was man AND dog he/she was taking on.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 01:35 pm
@Setanta,
I don't recommend them as pets, they are very territorial. They make good "watch geese" if you want to keep people out of an area.
Setanta

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 03:17 pm
@Green Witch,
They were sacred to Juno, and when the Gauls occupied and sacked Rome, the handful of defenders who remained in the city retreated to the Capitoline Hill. When the Gauls attempted to scale the hill in the night, the geese tipped off the defeders, who drove off the Gauls with great loss.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 03:20 pm
I still can't get over how calm that dog was. I kept thinking ok any minute now that dog is going to get fed up and pounce! I know ours would have. I think.
farmerman

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 04:30 pm
@Irishk,
The dog was intimidated or conflicted. If the dog would attack the goose he may have to answer to the "Boss" so he acted submissive.
MY old catahoula (named joey) once killed a Canadian goose by just quickly grabbing it and snapping its neck while the goose attacked HIM. It was a bad move for the Canadian goose to attack a Louisiana Hog Dog. Joey came back to the house with the goose held by the neck. The goose was quite yummy with a berry sauce.
farmerman

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 04:35 pm
@farmerman,
We had a herd of Indian Running Ducks and a couple of Lag geese . We used them for training our border collies. We didnt expose the borders to the geese until they were really aggressive enough to "eye" the geese into submitting. Otherwise, if the dogs werent quite ready they would either
1 lose confidence and take a huge step backwards in theoir training OR

2They would kill the geese and then the dogs would essentially be useless for herding.(Never draw blood " If you do, you are disqualified)
0 Replies