Help me vote jfkjdgdf off the forum

msolga

Thu 17 Mar, 2011 08:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I think we'll just have to wait till the moderators remove them, ci.
In the meantime, we've been advised not to vote the spam posts down (harder for the moderators to find), not to open the spam links & not to inundate the moderators with reports of each spam sighting (on different threads) .
OK, I've done my bit.
Reported the start of a mass spam attack.
Now it looks like a good time to go out & enjoy the day.
Hopefully when I return a signs of jfkjdgdf will have vanished! Smile
oralloy

Thu 17 Mar, 2011 08:27 pm
So many boards so fast. Is he using some sort of script or program to make posts?

I just reported two of his posts before I found this thread -- sorry, next time I'll just report him once.
0 Replies

msolga

Thu 17 Mar, 2011 08:34 pm
@msolga,
Wow! Surprised
Fast work, moderators!
They've all gone now (as best I can see).
Excellent work! Very Happy
ossobuco

Thu 17 Mar, 2011 08:37 pm
@msolga,
He'll be back - that's a gender presumption.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Thu 17 Mar, 2011 08:42 pm
@roger,
Out spam dot. It's not Shakespeare.

ossobuco

Thu 17 Mar, 2011 08:47 pm
@laughoutlood,
I've just read about Rapp.

back in some time frame when I look at the video
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 17 Mar, 2011 09:05 pm
@msolga,
Yeah, msolga, I didn't do a report on the new ones I saw, but did see quite a few posted by this same spammer when I made my post here to announce he was back. I'm sure he'll be back, and the moderators will have to expel his new address from the system - until he gets tired of his childish play.
0 Replies

roger

Thu 17 Mar, 2011 09:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Well, I ain't asking anyone to vote him down. I done learn my lesson. Ain't even gonna go look.
tsarstepan

Thu 17 Mar, 2011 09:17 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

[6] There is no #6

You tempting us to write a philosophy forum thread about this one particular nihilistic clause aren't you?? http://i56.tinypic.com/10p0ok5.jpg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 17 Mar, 2011 10:07 pm
@roger,
When I see his ID, I don't bother looking.
0 Replies

Ceili

Thu 17 Mar, 2011 11:19 pm
@jespah,
I hear ya. You and the hamsters do a great job, just trying to cut down on the work load.
Is there a way there could be a link put somewhere else? Or a drop down menu? To an existing thread or one specifically deemed for just this kind of issue.
I just seems to me that this spammer is probably not unique. This kind of thing could become the norm. Other sites make people use the swirly text thingys to verify a post. I'd hate to do that here. There must be some way to share the load.
Aside from that, thanks again for all the work you do.
Butrflynet

Thu 17 Mar, 2011 11:26 pm
@Ceili,
Here's how I deal with it:

What I usually do is add a "spam" tag to a topic if it is a new one. I figure that lets others know it has been reported by me. If I see it in the tags for a new topic that is obviously spam, I don't report it for the same reason.

If the spam is a post attached to an existing thread like our current spammer likes to do, there isn't much to do to alert others to the fact that it has been reported. If it is late at night and not many people are around, I'll report it and suggest they look at the profile to catch all the other posts by the spammer. If it is during the day when a lot of folks are around, it depends on where it falls in the New Posts list. If it is a recent new post, I'll report it. If it is more than 30 minutes, I don't report it because I figure many others have already done so.
Ceili

Thu 17 Mar, 2011 11:35 pm
@Butrflynet,
I think the spam tag is great, my fear is that we become complacent, thinking everyone else did it. Then no one sends a message and on it goes.
msolga

Fri 18 Mar, 2011 03:02 am
@roger,
You meant well, roger. Smile
As did quite a few of us ...
Like me, who'd regularly (for ages) voted done every single spamming episode & reported all such episodes to the moderators (every single one of them!) , while I was online ... thinking I was doing the right thing. (& I'd received thanks for doing that in the past, now things are different.)
And anyone who has missed this thread might well be doing the very same things in the future. Thinking they are doing the right thing, too.
There has to be a clearer way to get the message across to the whole A2K community.
roger

Fri 18 Mar, 2011 03:08 am
@msolga,
Thanks. I feel better now.
msolga

Fri 18 Mar, 2011 03:11 am
@roger,
Any time! Smile
0 Replies

dlowan

Fri 18 Mar, 2011 03:13 am
@msolga,
Well, you learned.

Without the shouting would you have learned?

msolga

Fri 18 Mar, 2011 03:15 am
@dlowan,
Probably. Smile

But, as I said, somehow the whole of this community has to be informed about the best way to respond to spam.

Then (fingers crossed) the the tedious work for moderators, in having to remove the damned stuff, might be easier.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Fri 18 Mar, 2011 03:31 am
@Ceili,

how about a "reported" tag if it's a new thread?
msolga

Fri 18 Mar, 2011 03:38 am
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
how about a "reported" tag if it's a new thread?

But it's pretty rare for a completely new spam thread to appear these days, Region.
Most of the spam I see lately is in the form of an additional post to an existing thread.
Sometimes even pretending interest in the subject of the thread!

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 03:30:41