Changing font size.

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 12:43 pm
On my old computer with a (frankly much easier version of Word) I was able to reduce the size of a font by clicking 50%, 25% and so on. For the Newsletter I used Times New Roman 12-point reduced to 75%. I can't find anywhere in Word 2010 to do this; it's either 12-point or reduced to 10. Has this function been eliminated or am I just not looking in the right place? If the latter, what is the right place?

New computer HP Pavilion Slimline 5400, Windows 7.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,604 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 07:54 pm
Have you used Help (F1) to look for it? I don't want to duplicate what you've already done.
Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 08:00 pm
Here's what the Help says for my 2007 version of Word:

Change the text font size
In Office Word 2007, you can use the formatting options Mini toolbar to quickly format text. The Mini toolbar appears automatically when you select text. It also appears with the menu when you select text and then right-click.

1.Select the text that you want to change, and move your pointer to the Mini toolbar that appears with your text selection.

2.Do one of the following:
To make the text larger, click Grow Font. Or press CTRL+SHIFT+>.
To make the text smaller, click Shrink Font. Or press CTRL+SHIFT+<.
Note You can also specify a font size on the Home tab, in the Font group.

0 Replies
Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 08:17 pm
what vesrsion of word are you using on the new computer?
my version is 2003
check out your tool bar options to add or remove buttons.

at the top of word you will see the current tool bars
at the end of each tool bar is a tiny upside down arrowhead with a bar over it
click that.
select add or remove buttons
select standard look for ZOOM
click zoom and a button will appear on your tool bar.
this will change the whole documnet to 75%

just use 9. ie 75% of 12 is 9.
you can select 9.5 if you want to... in >Format >Font> type the font size you want then select ok. Hilite a block of text if want to change something you ahve already written.
Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 08:22 pm
She says she's using the 2010 version.

The 2003 Word is totally unrelated to versions 2007 and newer. They've revamped the entire menuing system to make it "more intuititve." Ha!

I now have to use the Help to figure out how to do things that I used to do with my eyes shut.
Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 08:41 pm
They've revamped the entire menuing system to make it "more intuititve." Ha!

Agree with Ha!.

I changed to 2007 and then went back to 2003.

I do however think its more about what you get used to.
Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 08:46 pm
Yup! I still have 2003 on my PC and resort to it if I need to quickly produce something of quality.

By the way, no matter what version, here's the keyboard method to do it. (I've resorted to using keyboard methods rather than hunting for things on the Ribbon.)

Highlight the text you want to alter and then hold the ctrl key and press the + or the - at the same time to increase or decrease the size of that highlighted text.
0 Replies

Related Topics

Frozen Capitals - Question by gollum
Missing status bar - Question by Tomkitten
Recover MS Word *.tmp file? - Discussion by Chumly
  1. Forums
  2. » Changing font size.
Copyright © 2023 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 03/25/2023 at 06:00:26