Scientology--Faux Religion?

maxdancona

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2015 07:08 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
How they recruit and keep members at first pretending to be anything but a religion, willingness to break the law, department set up internally to control and if need be punish members and ex-members something using ex-legal means and so on.

Willingness to abused the civil legal system with slap suits that are without merit.

I am asking you for a definition of the word cult. I get that these are things that you don't like about Scientology, but do you mean this to be a definition (remember that the working definition of the word "cult" is "religion that BillRM doesn't like").

If you define cult this waym any religious group that does these things is a cult. And any religious group that doesn't do any of these things is not a cult.

Is this your intent?
BillRM

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2015 08:47 am
@maxdancona,
Sorry but a one sentence definition of when a group is a cult is not possible as I said over and over again it is patterns of behaviors that Scientology surely meet and I have been listing those behaviors that I am of the opinion leave little damn question that they are a cult.

If you do not agree so be it and beyond this point we are playing words games to no useful purpose.
BillRM

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2015 08:56 am
Footnote as far as L. Ron Hubbard science fiction writer is concern I can only think of one novel that was mildly good and that was his "Typewriter in the Sky" novel.

The fantasy he employed for the foundation of his religion/cult is not even third rate in my opinion.

In any case, is there any other works of this "gentleman" that others think might be more then third rate science fiction?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2015 06:57 pm
@BillRM,
You are missing the point BillRM. I get that you think that Scientology is a cult. That is now established.

The question is what other religions are cults... and given any particular religion how do we determine whether they are a cult or not?
BillRM

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2015 07:19 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The question is what other religions are cults... and given any particular religion how do we determine whether they are a cult or not?

I told you again and again if a religion make a habit of breaking the law and or misusing the law with such thing as worthless law suits<slap suit..

If they are not honest in their recruiting of new members, if they try to stop or at least strongly discouraged any relationships/friendships with non-members..

If they maintain enemies lists and go after those enemies in legal and not legal means.
0 Replies